Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #1  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

Default how do you make yourself enjoy workout?

So - i hate work out. I like none of the work outs. I don't know if any of you have this problem but i just dislike working out.

Last year, when i gained 20 lbs, i literally forced myself to work out everyday. I lost since then 15 lbs and gained some muscles. (I didn't kill myself to workout heavily so i didn't gain very much muscles).

So now - i have some lbs left to work on. And since i SEE good results, my self-confidence has been boost ALOT. I can wear short skirts, and shorts and not getting a shame of my big thighs or whatsoever. But i'm not happy yet. I still have alot of thigh fat and stomach fat. The problem is since i see good results and getting more confident about my body - my hate for workout is getting more and more again. Last year, i did 30 DS everyday - Now, even doing it 3 times/week is a pain. And you know what, I chose 30 DS because it's only 30 minutes less that i have to work out. I have other video workouts at home (yoga, walk away lbs, etc...) but they are just way too long for me to be able to enjoy it.

So i just want to ask how do you guys keep your passion for working out?
Lately, i try to image people with body i love to have to keep myself from quitting workout. But it's starting to not very effective....

Thx for reading ^^

Last edited by Annita; 07-03-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I use workout DVD's. I've pretty much turned our living room into a home gym from time to time. I try to make a 'game' out of the workout. I keep notes on when the last time I did the workout, and how many calories I burned last time {index card inside the front cover of the DVD box}, and the next time I pull that workout out I try to top my last number. This doesn't work with all workouts but also keeping track of weights used in lifting and trying to match or top {get one more rep!} helps keep me motivated. Sometimes its length of workout, I was on the treadmill for 30 min last time, can I make it 35 today?

Getting started is always hard. Most days I don't wake up thinking 'Yay, I get to workout today!!'; I'll put the workout off for several hours than finally talk myself into it, and somedays I'll tell myself 'do 10 -15 mins, if I still don't want to workout I'll quit"; usually I keep going. The first 15 min seem to be the hardest for me, but I try to workout at 6 days a week. If I skip a day, just try again tomorrow.

I've discovered making a rotation/plan to follow works best for me. Plan out what I want to do for the next week/month, write it all out, commit to it, and I don't flounder wondering what to do. Such as MWF: weights TThS: cardio. HTH

Penguin
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Find something that you love to do that doesn't feel like working out:

bike ride on some of your errands or the beach or a park and then walk around there, doing dips on the benches.

hike! A three hour hike every weekend burns tons of calories but isn't a work out that I have to get done before I can "get on with my day."

dance or do yoga or anything that you love and want to do that involves sweating and moving and heavy breathing. in the winter you can snow shoe. the possibilities are endless.

I will never step foot in a gym but burn plenty of calories and build muscle in tons of other ways.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #4  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I started doing the C25K running program a few weeks ago, which was pretty uncharacteristic for me - I NEVER ran before this (and joked about how I never would...). So now, I've told so many people about it and they're all so surprised about it that I feel like I can't quit - I don't want to have to tell people that I gave up, so I keep going Whatever works, I suppose!

That's taking up most of my workout time right now, but I also love taking dance classes. I used to perform as a belly dancer, and I've found that I'll work out about a hundred times harder in a dance class than I would if I just go jump on some machine in the gym.

Hope you find something that works for you!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #5  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

i always used to run alone, but then i did the aids marathon training program...way more fun...find a biking, running or walking group...its so much fun and you'll meet some great people
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Keep trying new things! I can't do the same routine over and over or I get bored.

Have you tried the 10 minute solution series of DVDs?
There are 5 different 10 minute workouts on each one. You can combine them together for a workout of any length. I used them as my morning routine to get in a quick 30 minute workout.

And, for days when you just DON'T want to do anything, promise yourself that you will do at least one. Usually, once you get going, you can eek out another two or three

Last edited by CountingDown; 07-03-2009 at 03:54 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #7  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I jog outside. Working out inside just depresses me and I don't enjoy it at all, so instead I jog on a trail and listen to music and just think about things (usually I imagine myself in the future). I love it. I used to have a lot of trouble convincing myself to go out jogging, but now I get really annoyed and upset when there's a storm and I can't go out.

Last edited by RubyGuggenheim; 07-03-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #8  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I find events to enter that i can train for- I am training for a quarter marathon so that motivates me to keep going. After a while you actually get used to running and enjoy challenging yourself to go a bit faster each time. I switch running up with weight training- its completely different, works out my whole body, and keeps me interested. The more you work out the better you get at it- and when you get good at something, you enjoy it more
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

MUSIC..... music is what gets me through walking and workouts. I turn my ipod on and forget about the world.
Also, imagining myself slim helps
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 148/139/130

Height: 5'7"

I either listen to super up-beat motivating music, or watch trashy guilty-pleasure TV. It keeps me distracted on the treadmill.
StarCarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #11  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Listening to Twilight audiobooks on my iPod, and ONLY letting myself listen to them if I'm moving.

I wanted to listen to Newmoon, so... threw on my gear and I'm going for a run right now!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #12  
soon 2B hot chick!!

S/C/G: 220/210.6/165

Exercising with others. I take karate and I have a favorite partner that pushes me and jokes around...it's alot of fun.
scaleskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Having just gotten back to establishing a routine I can completely see where you are coming from. I dread doing the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels (my current DVD workout). My first thoughts in the morning are generally me trying to justify skipping the workout. I of course drag myself in front of the TV with the only motivation I find that works for me in the morning... my vanity. I imagine myself stepping on a scale and having the numbers significantly below where they are now, or being able to fit into a smaller size. Once I've gotten that workout over with I feel accomplished which helps with the other daily activities.
I've also incorperated a daily walk with my kids. They enjoy it so much that I've gone to get my workout gear on and my four year old got himself dressed and tried to buckle his 16 month old sister into her stroller. They were ready to go!
This helps with accountability some, since I'd hate for them to miss out cause Mommy wants to sit on her bum.
30 Day Shred BTW is pretty intense short work out... 3, 6 min circuits, and a quick warm up/cool down. It is a pretty brutal (least for me, my legs are so sore, and I'm on Level 1, LOL) but according to all the reviews I've read, really effective!
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #14  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
Listening to Twilight audiobooks on my iPod, and ONLY letting myself listen to them if I'm moving.
I was doing that with Anne McCaffery's Pern books, but I find I get a much more energetic workout with music.
Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

Height: 5'4

work out with someone! someone fun and not annoying lol
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote