Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #46  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I HEART spanx. And since I live the life of a convent nun, I never have to worry about someone touching them. Not sure that's a good thing though...
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #47  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingit111 View Post
Hi ladies, the dark patches may be something called Acanthosis Nigricans. It is a condition where the skin becomes darker and thicker in places like the underarms, between thighs, back of neck etc.

Most of what I have read says that Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) is related to insulin resistance and pre-diabetes. I have read that in some cases the dark patches can fade or even disappear with control of blood sugar levels and with weight loss. It is possible that the dark patches you have may be AN.

Note: Having AN does NOT mean you have diabetes. Please do some research or check with your doctor if you have concerns about this.

I really wanted to let you know about this as soon as I read this thread because I have these patches too and have had them since I was a teenager (I am now in my mid twenties.) I have a famly history of diabetes, and most of my weight is on my tummy (people with insulin resistance tend to put on fat around the midsection) so I am failry certain my dark patches are AN. I am now on a low carb diet and hope that the patches will fade once I get down to normal weight.

I hope this information helps!!
Yes, my family has a history as well and ever since I was a kid, I've always had darker skin in that area and the back of my neck. My physician has always asked about darker areas and also told me the same thing.. but he also said it could be genetic, meaning they won't go away. I've always been considered healthy and not at risk for diabetes, but I've always been encouraged to lose weight to lessen the risk..
I also wish they would go away.. but even when I lost weight and went down to a healthy range.. (under 143 for my height and build), the dark areas just never showed any improvement..
I think because of my south asian background, the dark areas are here to stay.. but I know there are cream/bleaching alternatives.. I think I'm going to wait until I get to goal and maintain it for at least a year or two before I consider that, however.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #48  
Curvatious!

S/C/G: 253/250/190

Height: 5'3''

I have ALWAYS had an issue withchaffing. I am in marching band, despite being overweight. And I find that during band camp I always have that problem, sometmes to the point where I can hardly walk without being in pain. And I have to keep trying to pull my shorts up and baby powder things just to get through the day.

There is a powder called Monkey butt. I'm not sure exactly where you can get it. I've only seen it at this Horse store by me. Maybe you can find it online. It's really good. I think it's somewhat medicated to help alleviate the pain and to help heal. I have had some issues with darkening, but Idon't think it's too bad right now. I think it's gone away. It may just be dead skin. Or dying skin.
I know of many girls that use spandex shorts under everything and swear by it. But I'm not sure where to get any.

As for being intimate, it makes me extremely self conscious.

Ughh. Does anyone else feel that being overweight or not feeling sexy at a higher weight makes their sex decrease in quality? I've given it up because I don't even feel good about myself.
sarpinking is offline   Reply With Quote