Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Question goal for March 2010

Every time I have tried to lose weight I always focus on numbers, how much I weight, how much I want to, how long I am going to exercise, how many calories I am going to eat. I know they are all important in losing weight. This time I am going to focus on a goal.I will still count calories and how long I exercise, but I will be determined to reach my goal. Late March 29, 2010 is the Knoxville Marathon. I want to run and complete the half marathon. It is 10 1/2 months away. Am I crazy for thinking I can do it? I think I can do it if I really want it, and I do. About 2 weeks ago I started a couch to 5k program.My fitness level will be increasing over the next several months, and I know the bulk of the training, if you are already fit, starts 4 months out. So, can a person go from not being a runner to running a half marathon in 10 months? I was a runner in middle and the first year of high school, but that was 8 years ago. I know there are teams you can join around December for training. Does anyone have experiece with long distance races? Any advise?
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I think you can do it. I lost some weight and then started training for a quarter marathon. My training for the quarter marathon started about 4 months before the quarter marathon and I was fine. So I think you can train for twice that in 10 months. You can always train for it and if you dont feel up to it then do a quarter marathon and do the half next year. Make sure you have good shoes and find a good rhythm, those were key for me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

utgirl - You can totally do it, I started running in Januray. I am 5 months in and I can 5 miles so far, I am running in the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in September. I am halfeay there in mileage and time. I am very excited about it and I know you can do it. You just gotta keep working at it even when you don't want to. Good Luck
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/TICKER/158

Height: 5'5"

if you think you can do it than do it! I found my issue is worrying about what people think about my goals and things I want to do and the easy this is just not caring.
breathingfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #5  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

You can totally do this!!! You know how I know? Because I WAS IN YOUR SHOES when I started running! I had never really run before. I weighed about 205 lbs, totally out of shape. I started with C25k and eventually moved on to just running on my own 3 or 4 days a week. Omg. I am so super excited for you!

So yes, I do believe you can do it. I am starting out small - my first race is a 5k in September and I still have a ways to go, but my ultimate goal is a half marathon. You will do great!

By the way, this is also what made it different for me this time around. For years I have tried dieting, counting calories, somewhat exercising. In February I decided that this time would be different: I just wanted to run a 5k. If I still weighed 200 lbs, but finished the race without stopping, then I'd consider myself successful. Fortunately the weight has just melted off since I really began running at the end of Feb... it's a great side effect and it sure makes running a lot easier. But you will get there!! Check out runnersworld.com for lots of beginner tips and they even have a training schedule for half marathons.

Good luck!!!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Thank you so much for your input! I am glad to know other peoples goals are similar to mine. I really do think having a different goal mind set will help me succeed this time around. I have a huge sign I put on the inside of my bedroom door saying "Covenant Health Marathon March 29, 2010 - You WILL run it!" I look at it every morning and it has kept me on track so far. My sister has started running 5ks, so I when I can run a 5k in a reasonable amount of time, I will join her. You girl are an inspiration!
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #7  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by utgirl09 View Post
Thank you so much for your input! I am glad to know other peoples goals are similar to mine. I really do think having a different goal mind set will help me succeed this time around. I have a huge sign I put on the inside of my bedroom door saying "Covenant Health Marathon March 29, 2010 - You WILL run it!" I look at it every morning and it has kept me on track so far. My sister has started running 5ks, so I when I can run a 5k in a reasonable amount of time, I will join her. You girl are an inspiration!
Yeah nothing lights a fire under your butt like signing up for a race! I just registered for mine last week and now I'm like...wow... I'm really going to do this! Now I really need to step it up! lol

Really, I don't know what it was about changing my goal from "losing weight" to "running a 5k" that made me stick with it this time around. I guess because I started measuring my success in ways other than the scale. I think that helps a lot.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote