Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

Default Should I eat the Chicken Cheesesteak?!

I know it seems silly to even ask, but I feel like i'm starting to justify it to myself! Maybe I just need a reality check! Here's the deal:

My fiance and I are going to have a little night in tonight, bottle of wine and he wants to carryout cheesesteaks from this new place that's REALLY good!! I could actually fit a 9" chicken cheesesteak (chicken, bread, cheesewhiz, onions) into my calories for the day. I dont know the EXACT calories for this restaurant, but I've looked up the nutritional info for other places and it seems to range from 600-700 calories, with about 25-30 grams of fat ( )

I'm low on calories today so far, I've only eaten 453 calories and 10 grams of fat (42 carbs, 15 grams protein), so I could fit it in. BUT, it's obviously NOT a good food choice. The other option is to tell him to just get one for him, and I will cook the shrimp and brown rice I had planned for. What to do, what to do, what to do.....!! I'm also planning on running/walking today for 20min (Week 1, day 3 of C25K)

Input appreciated!
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/202.5/150...or lower...

Height: 5'5"

this is tough...i would probably try to make a different choice from the place. if they have anything that has veggies. or i'd ask my fiance to split the cheese steak with me and make some steamed veggies or salad as a side for both of us.
willow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #3  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

I'm with Willow, if it's something you really, really want, maybe you can eat half of it.
Even if you can fit the calories in your plan, you are probably going to be low on the nutrition side of things (I don't think cheez whiz is has that many vitamins ).
Also, I have now learned to how when I eat junky food I feel tired, crabby and just plain...junky afterwards.

One thing I often ask myself when tempted with such things is: Is it worth it?. Then it's up to you.
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

What is chicken cheesesteak? Anyway, if it fits into your calories and you really want it, I say go for it, you have to allow life to happen, these things come up and I think it's important to maintain balance. Plan for the indulgence if you really want it, then carry on with your regular eating plan, in the grand scheme of things it won't make much difference in and of itself, it is if it triggers you to eat more or causes a downward spiral that would be worrisome.
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/246/185

Height: 5'10

I'd say it's ok to order yourself one, especially if your eating in. This is what you do. It's all about portion size still. Cut the cheese steak in half, or even a third, your choice. Still make yourself some brown rice, eat as a side and maybe some raw or steamed vegetables as well or fruit to fill up on. You get your fill in of your cheese steak, and still get in your calories and nutrients for the day with the brown rice and veggies/fruit. Most important thing, whats scary about cheating like that is your more likely to do it again because you'll crave it, you know yourself best, so if you can do that and not be tempted to do it more in the future and fall off your diet, great! Also after you eat your small portion of it, give the rest of your husband or get rid of it, so you don't have it as a late night snack. Doing that you just cut your calories from the steak to 300-350, and 12-15 grams of fat, which isn't too bad at all!

Good Luck!
Geenadavisrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

I'd probably have half of one with a salad if I thought I would feel bad about eating the whole thing; otherwise, I'd just eat one and enjoy it. However, this is coming from a girl who has a regular pizza lunch on Mondays and a fast-food lunch on Fridays. Both are scheduled with friends I really enjoy, and I also enjoy the food I admit! So I just work it into my calories and enjoy it. For me, life is too short to not enjoy things like this occasionally. I don't lose nearly as fast as the more disciplined eaters among us--that is the price I pay. Most of the time, I'm OK with that but YMMV.

Last edited by Windchime; 05-15-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I got home from my run and my fiance had already brought them home! I ate most of mine and gave him the rest (great suggestion on that!!) I dont feel bad about it b/c one of the biggest mistakes I made the first time i lost alot ofweight was that I was SO strict, that when I started eating anything that wasnt planned I binged and gained a ton of weight. I'd like to say that I can eat a little bit of something and not have it trigger a massive binge. I dont know if I'm at that point yet, but tonight was successful so far.

I didnt feel bloated or greasy or any of that. i think it's b/c i've been eating very clean and pretty low calorie so my body just burned thru this sandwich (and I had just worked out!) We'll see if it hinders my loss for this week!!
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote