3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Steamer Bags (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/171778-steamer-bags.html)

Ready 4 a change 05-15-2009 11:01 AM

Steamer Bags

Anyone use those steamer bags??

I just started using them and they are awesome!! I have only done veggies, does anyone have any other good ideas??

stellarosa27 05-15-2009 11:20 AM

I eat most of my veggies raw but on occasion I will use the steamer bags - great invention :)

willow650 05-15-2009 11:23 AM

I make boil in bag omelets in them...lol

Ready 4 a change 05-15-2009 11:41 AM

ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow650 (Post 2743010)
I make boil in bag omelets in them...lol

I just did that for the first time this morning. Good Stuff.

What amazes me, is that you can have pretty much unlimited veggies for low calories and fat, with the steamer bags. I love it!!!

rocketbunny 05-17-2009 04:52 PM

I love the steamer bags. I mostly use them for veggies, but I did try fish and chicken (once). The fish came out ok. The chicken was weird and took longer to cook than the bag suggested. I won't do meat again (but then, it's so easy to do meat in the toaster oven broiler while the microwave is doing veggies/potato.

Iconised Ghost 05-17-2009 06:12 PM

I love these bags! I usually just do vegetables with a bit of pepper, but the bags say you can do fish and chicken as well. You could probably do fruit too but i havent tried that so you do it at your own risk :D

booskibabe 05-17-2009 10:35 PM

I love those bags! Lots of flavor and no added fat.:carrot:

RememberHowToSmile 05-18-2009 09:37 AM

I normally only make veggies in them but my best friend makes chicken in it all the time. It just seems that a waste of a bag to make one chicken breast but she makes large batches.

Iconised Ghost 05-18-2009 05:46 PM

i think you can reuse the bags...the ones i get I can wash/rinse out and leave to dry to use again. I mean, it doesnt say you can on the bag :P But you can. As long as you dont use them until they get scungy xD

kaplods 05-18-2009 06:36 PM

If you don't want to buy, or run out of the bags, a wet paper towel is awesome for microwave steaming veggies (I've never tried meat). I just steam right on my dinner plate if I'm making just enough for me, or on a serving plate if making a large quantity and wrap or cover my veggies in a wet paper towel before mocrowaving. For asparagus and corn on the cob, I generally wrap the veggies in paper towel, and wet the whole package under running water. For most other veggies I just wet the paper towel and drape it over the veggies before microwaving.

Because we're trying to be more "green," I've been thinking of buying a few cotton wash towels to use instead, but they'd have to be completely lint-free, and I'd want to dedicate them to food use (don't want to steam my veggies in the same towel I washed the countertops with).