Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #1  

Default *sigh*

I feel horrible. I'm almost 23 years old and I weigh around 165-170 at a height of 5'4". No, it's not huge, but it's big enough that I need to lose weight because my doctor said that if i don't in another five or ten years, I will become diabetic like my mother.

I don't know what to do. I'm always too exhausted after work to workout, and I have to get up at 1:30am to get to work by 3am, so working out in the morning doesnt seem like a logical solution either.

I guess I need to really start watching what I eat. I still live with my parents, so they pretty much dictate what gets bought at the grocery store. WHich is fine because I don't have to pay for it, but I really should start eating healthier.

I guess I'm just looking for someone who would be willing to help motivate one another and maybe exchange pictures online every month or so to show our progress (or lack thereof.. which should be motivating in itself).

I don't come to this site all that often, so having an email buddy, or a chatting buddy, would be the ideal thing. I'll keep coming back until someone (hopefully) answers this post. Until then.. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-Marnie
Old 06-10-2002, 01:53 PM   #2  

Angry I understand

Hello!

I am new to this site and read your message. I completely understand where your coming from. I am also 23 and just moved home after college, until I find a permanent job.

A little bit about my battle. During my sophomore year I gained about 20 to 25 lbs. and my weight jumped to somewhere around 165 to 170. That summer I started walking everynight and watched what I ate and lost about 10 lbs. I still want to lose about 10 to 15 lbs more but it is so hard. Like you, living at home, the refrigerator is always stocked and is hard to find healthy things to eat. I try to walk or jog at least 20 minutes a day plus I try to lift some free weights and do sit-ups. But I just seem to maintain and never lose.

I also need help staying motivated, especially on the weekends but don't visit the site that often. If you ever want to chat let me know. I'll try to check back with the site often.

AFergie
Old 06-10-2002, 02:06 PM   #3  

Default Iowa state girl

Hi Marnie,
My name is Lana and I am also 5'4, 23 and weigh between 165-170. This summer is the perfect time to loose! Don't you think?! I would love to be an email buddy with [email protected]
We could check in about goals each week and encourage one another and stay accountable!
My goal is to loose 30 pounds this summer
What's your goal? How are you going to do it? Because you can, but the only way is to set goals and stick to it!
*My goals for this week*
1. Stick with my eating plan (I write out my meals at the start of each day)
2. 30 minutes each day cardio training and 3 days of weight lifting/abs
3. Stay positive and stop beating myself up!
Talk to you soon.
Lana
Old 06-11-2002, 01:05 PM   #4  

Default Re: *sigh*

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaStateGirl
I feel horrible. I'm almost 23 years old and I weigh around 165-170 at a height of 5'4". No, it's not huge, but it's big enough that I need to lose weight because my doctor said that if i don't in another five or ten years, I will become diabetic like my mother.

I don't know what to do. I'm always too exhausted after work to workout, and I have to get up at 1:30am to get to work by 3am, so working out in the morning doesnt seem like a logical solution either.

I guess I need to really start watching what I eat. I still live with my parents, so they pretty much dictate what gets bought at the grocery store. WHich is fine because I don't have to pay for it, but I really should start eating healthier.

I guess I'm just looking for someone who would be willing to help motivate one another and maybe exchange pictures online every month or so to show our progress (or lack thereof.. which should be motivating in itself).

I don't come to this site all that often, so having an email buddy, or a chatting buddy, would be the ideal thing. I'll keep coming back until someone (hopefully) answers this post. Until then.. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-Marnie
Marnie,

Hi! Welcome to the site. So the first thing you need to do is to come up with a plan. It sounds like you are dedicated and ready to lose weight... and you can do this!

So it sounds like the first thing you have control of is exercising. You dont have to exercise in the morning. I workout at any time that fits into my schedule. I usually work out right after work.. or late at night. I understand being exhausted from work and life.. but you have go to make this a priority. And trust me, as soon as you start working out and develope a habit.. you will find you have MORE energy in the long run. Don't get me wrong.. there are days when I *hate* exercising.. but I just tell myself that its for the better me.. and that I can do it. I know you can too!!!

So start off with 20 minutes a day. And slowly bring it up to 30 or 40. Soon the time will fly by and you will feel so much better.

As for food... free food is always good but I think you might want to have a heart-to-heart talk with your mom. Ask her to buy you some carrots or fruit to snack on.. other than chips. Maybe ask for more salads with low-cal dressing. Just let her know how important this is to you. I bet she will do anything within her power to help you lose the weight. And if money is an issue.. maybe you could do a few more chores around the house to make up for the extra expenses of healthier food.

I really hope you realize that you can do this. I am just in the begining stages of losing weight.. and I know how frustrating and hopeless it all seems. But.. no one is going to lose it for me.. so I have to do everything within my power.

Good luck.. and keep us updated!

-Tanya
Closed Thread