Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #1  
I'm a hustler, baby.

S/C/G: 188/147/130

Height: 5'3"

Angry PMS and HUNGER!!!

Aunt Flow is supposed to visit me later this week, and I have been destructively hungry since the weekend. It's a LOT worse than usual this time. I came SO CLOSE to ordering a bacon cheeseburger and sweet potato fries for lunch. I had a smoked turkey sandwich instead... but STILL couldn't talk myself out of a frozen yogurt. I actually took an extended lunch break and drove well out of my way to get it. I've gone nuts! And I AM STILL HUNGRY!!!!!!!! All I can think about are carbs, cheese, chocolate, fried food... and more carbs.. and bacon cheeseburgers... and ice cream... and and and...

I know this issue comes up a lot in other threads, but I want to know how you girls handle PMS/TOM and the hunger monster. Aside from a tranquilizer-induced coma, straight jacket and padded room, what do you recommend? I'll be lucky if I make it through this week without gaining eleventy-billion pounds.
beesknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #2  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

i try to find "allowed" ways to splurge. for me, its sugar free popsicles-- they taste really good and they are 15 cals apiece, and fling bars--- they taste amazing and are only 70 cals, 10 carbs apiece and really fill that chocolate craving. i also am a fan of popcorn-- the low cal stuff-- one little bag can be 90 cals and it really fills you up and keeps your mouth working too..
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Maybe try filling up on something with a lot of fiber? I will usually eat more fiber one bars, the oats and chocolate ones, when I'm around that time cuz I also turn into a ravenous beast and those fill me up and calm my sweet craving. They taste like chocolate rice krispies treats to me.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #4  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

oh yeah, and sugar free chocolate pudding snacks. yum!
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

honestly...I have a MAJOR problem with this as well...and sometimes the only thing that'll fix it is just giving in, so I'll just eat something that's not so great, like a fast food burger, chocolate bar or ice cream, those seem to be my "crack" lol So ya, I'll eat it, count it, and usually that does the trick...I've tried to fake out my body with healthy alternatives, but it doesn't usually work lol...probably not the best advise lol but it works for me

Last edited by nicoledg; 04-27-2009 at 03:20 PM.
nicoledg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #6  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

I have a hard time with this as well..each month is say that i will stay on track..but i sometimes find that if i dont give into the choclate craving..then ill just eat and eat..and make it even worse
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #7  
I'm a hustler, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoledg View Post
I've tried to fake out my body with healthy alternatives, but it doesn't usually work lol...probably not the best advise lol but it works for me
"Faking out" my appetite also seems to be futile. I'm just afraid that the more I seriously restrict myself when I'm feeling vulnerable, the more likely I'll be to completely spiral out of control and give up on my efforts altogether. I'm not trying to make excuses to eat that bacon cheeseburger and sweet potato fries... or am I?! Seriously I think it might be a better idea to satiate one intense craving before it grows into a bigger problem. I haven't had a cheeseburger in over 3 months.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesknees View Post
I think it might be a better idea to satiate one intense craving before it grows into a bigger problem

That's what I do, just giving in once a month, saves me from shoving everything I can in my face lol and one "bad food" a month isn't going to kill your weight loss efforts
Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I am right there with ya! Some months, the hunger isn't so bad but this month is nuts! Mine should come any day and I keep getting hungry. I usually eat in frequent intervals so I am never really starving but I keep getting hungry abount an hour and a half before my next meal!

I don't know what the answer is, maybe just give yourself a break once a month and just be ok with it. I think if you are prepared: I am PMSing this week, I am probably not going to be the most behaved. Then you can at least get through it without the guilt and go hard next week!
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 232/227/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm dealing with that right now. I'm just counting the minutes before dinner and then will gorge myself on a huge salad. I just have to fill it with veggies and not all that other tasty stuff

Last edited by Satria; 04-27-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Satria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I usually give myself a little more leeway at that time of the month. I'm going through it right now, and to prevent myself from eating the stuffed unicorn on my desk I just had to cave and go to the vending machine to get a bag of pretzels to dip in this no-sugar added chocolate pudding. The more I deny myself what I'm craving, the more I'll binge on it later on.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

Omg. I think that I just found out what my problem was thanks to this thread. I've been craving carbs and sweets all freaking day and not know why I couldn't get full. According to the calender I should be starting my TOM in the next week or so. Boy, this is gonna be fun....

Also, when I have massive cravings for something 'bad', I try and make the dish at home. That way I can control what goes into my food and I can make it a little bit healthier. If you really want a bacon cheeseburger, make it with ground turkey, reduced fat cheese, and a lower fat bacon on a wheat bun. Changes like that help me survive the dreaded TOM.
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #13  

All this talk of burgers has made me want a burger now, and I just finished TOM lol no giving in to fast food for me lol but I am going to make a healthy one at home! yum...and I just made a big pot of chili, I guess thats going in the fridge for tomorrow lol
Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #14  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

omg this explains why i have been off plan for the past 2 days perfectly! at least now i know when to expect to have a tougher time
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #15  
I'm a hustler, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
omg this explains why i have been off plan for the past 2 days perfectly! at least now i know when to expect to have a tougher time
Yeah, I just started noticing this trend... (have also noticed retaining water/bloating around ovulation.) And it's not every month... some months I make it through this time without a hitch. But today all I can think about is FOOD. I almost started crying during lunch because I felt like I could easily lose control. I was thinking "this is too hard, can't do it anymore". I don't usually have thoughts like that... except sometimes around/before TOM! Evil evil hormones wreak havoc on our progress. Yet ANOTHER reason it's so much easier for my hubby to lose weight. UGH! Life is so unfair!