Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

Smile Losing weight and getting healthy to get pregnant?

Hey ladies!

I have question for all you thinking about having kids in the nearer future. Are any of you using being in shape for pregnancy and child birth as motivation to get healthier and to have healthier babies?

I know when my sister had my nephew last year, she had mentioned that after child birth she was surprised how EVERY muscle in her body hurt, and that they say that giving birth is equivalent in body stress to running a marathon.

So i was thinking, you would definitely train for a marathon, so I am in a sense training to have a baby...

Anyway, I don't know if that made any sense, but just thought I would throw that out there!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I think it's great that you are getting in shape before having a baby! I have heard that the better physical shape you are in when you give birth, the easier the labor is. Also, learning to maintain healthy habits now will give you a better chance in maintaining them after the baby is born. By doing that, you will set a good example for your family, by taking care of yourself and taking the time to make sure you are in the best health possible. I think that's a great thing to do! I think every parent wants their child to avoid the same mistakes they made... and I know that if I ever end up having kids, I won't want them to spend their entire childhood into their 20's overweight and unhappy with themselves like I did.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #3  

Totally! I am not planning on having a baby for at least a year, but I figure that if in the mean time I am training for this half marathon in October, and taking my folic acid every day, it can only help, right?

Although the thought of giving birth still terrifies me no matter how good of shape I might be in at the time...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I am sort of using this as part of my motivation to lose weight. I have had two babies already, and added weight with each one. In fact, I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was only 5 months old, and I did not take off the extra weight. The second pregnancy was a lot more uncomfortable than the first, and I'm betting the extra weight was a big reason for that. So before I will even think about getting pregnant again, I need to lose some weight because I cannot go into pregnancy being this out of shape. And I do want to continue to exercise throughout my next pregnancy too. (I went into my first pregnancy with this idea, but morning sickness derailed those plans early on!)
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #5  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/130

Height: 5"6

Thats one of the reasons for me working on this now. Not that I want to have any children anytime soon (about 10 years from now) but I want to be healthy and ready for anything. If I get into shape now, I won't have a problem concieveing when I want to, and taking care of my family and myself as I get older.
vouge09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Yep! I am. I want to lose weight but I also want to get stronger because as mentioned, labor is easier if you are in good shape. It's my motivation every day. I could get pregnant anytime...so I have to be careful about what I eat and what I'm doing so that I don't waste time.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-17-2009 at 01:42 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #7  
One day at a time...

This is my number one motivation right now. Although, I know I can conceive at anytime, but I don't want to go down that road overweight.

Here's a thread that's been around for a while. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=96198&page=11
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 370/320/190

Height: 5'7"

I don't plan on having children for quite a few years, but that definitely is something that goes through my head. I don't want being overweight to jeopardize my chance to have children. Not being able to have children is one of my biggest fears.
fenderella5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #9  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

I was about 183 when I got pregnant with my first and 208 when I got pregnant with my second. The only problem I had with the first was pre-eclampsia (gained 60+ lbs) which led to being induced. It was a fairly quick labor and delivery. I started pitocin at 12 pm and had him at 9:24 pm. No epidural. The second one, I didn't gain as much weight (28 lbs). They induced me on the due date which lasted from around 10 pm the night before till 7:27 pm the next night (about 21 1/2 hrs). Awful back pains, but once he decided to come out he was out within 5 minutes or less... Both of my boys were very healthy and strong. They held their heads up very well and started rolling over before they were a month old.
I was 246 lbs when I had my first and 236 when I had my second. The only thing I really have to complain about is the awful stretch marks from my first because of the rapid weight gain in the last few months. My second gave me no new stretch marks. Stretch marks can happen to anyone though.
Sorry, this has turned into a long rant, I basically just wanted to say just because you are overweight doesn't mean you are going to have a bunch of problems or that your children will be overweight. My 4 yr old is so thin like his daddy. My 7 month old is a bit chubby, but he's a baby! It is up to you on how you raise them and teach them about food and healthy choices.
I am finally lossing the baby weight and hope to lose more to get healthy myself. I do want one more child someday and hope that I will never be over 200 again, pregnant or not.

Last edited by aangel22; 04-17-2009 at 02:56 PM.
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 365/332/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm not planning to get pregnant in the very near future but it is definitely something I want. Having healthy babies and being able to enjoy a long, active life with them is definitely one of the motivating factors for me.
Missy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #11  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Well, I'm not losing weight so I don't have a chubby baby. That is really not a concern. My main concern is that I want to have my baby at home and I need to be strong and healthy to do so...especially since it will be my first labor and birth. I also want to be able to move around and exercise during my pregnancy. I have some health issues (fibromyalgia, adrenal fatigue) that make it a little more difficult to be active. Adding more weight just makes it worse.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #12  
One day at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangel22 View Post
Sorry, this has turned into a long rant, I basically just wanted to say just because you are overweight doesn't mean you are going to have a bunch of problems or that your children will be overweight. My 4 yr old is so thin like his daddy. My 7 month old is a bit chubby, but he's a baby! It is up to you on how you raise them and teach them about food and healthy choices.
I am finally lossing the baby weight and hope to lose more to get healthy myself. I do want one more child someday and hope that I will never be over 200 again, pregnant or not.
Not a rant at all, that was great information! I know the weight doesn't lead to necessarily lead to problems, I guess for my DH and I, we just want to be in top shape before taking on this endeavor. From what I understand, it's one the most straining things on a woman's body and I don't want to do it with unnecessary weight on me. That doesn't mean if I get knocked up, I won't be elated, I just want to shed some lbs.
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #13  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Me too! Me too!! Getting pregnant is my number one goal. Hubby and I aren't necessarily trying right now... but if it happens I would be overjoyed! I am currently at 272 I have some health issues that make me lose weight at half a snails pace. I don't want to give any of these bad issues or habits to my kids so I am trying to get rid of it all now. But, seriously.... I think about it everyday. And when I'm running, I tell my self that I am one step closer to a child with every step I take.
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #14  

i totally am with Landonsbaby: I'm not worried about chubby babies, but me being strong and healthy for pregnancy and delivery...

Last edited by skinnywish; 04-17-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #15  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

i think it's a great idea to get your body ready for pregnancy and childbirth. i got pregnant in 07 right when i had just got into a routine of working out and losing a little weight. then i regretted that i hadn't gotten in shape sooner. good luck!
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote