Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Default Advice needed!

So, basically me working out all winter to be spring ready really didn't work. I actually now have friends to go to the gym with so I can stay motivated so I am going to be going quite alot now. I just need some advice on something.

Since I'm not in shape anymore, everytime I do a little bit of cardio, I feel REALLY sick to my stomach. I tried doing the 30 day shred and ended up puking my brains out for a good 20 minutes because of how upset my stomach became. Now, I don't wanna be a hot mess in the gym so I thought that I would do a little bit of cardio here and there to really get my body used to it and so I can work my way up.

I was wondering what the best times would be for this. Should I jog for a minute, rest for 5? Should I jog for 30 seconds and rest for 2 minutes? I'm not sure. Also, say I do this for quite some time, how and when should I up my cardio? Like say for example, I job for a minute and rest for 5 for a week, after that week should I up my jogging to a minute and a half and then rest fo 5 still? I just want to up my cardio because obviously that's the key to losing weight. I've tried the walking briskly on a treadmill, and while that works I feel the only my legs and butt are getting firmer, and I'm not so much losing weight. I would prefer walking because running/jogging is really really tough on my ankles/knees (thank you gymnastics and cheerleading for the first half of my life). If anybody has any workouts I could do walking on the treadmill, or around the gym track let me know since it will be a little better on limbs. Thanks in advance for anybody that can help me out.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

I would consult with a trainer at your gym. With your body getting used to cardio/weights/exercise period, it will be a good two weeks until your body fully adjusts. I've been doing cardio a little over three weeks now and am only up to about a 3.0-3.5 without being winded. Granted, I do some intervals, like every 5 minutes or so I'll bump it up to 4.0-4.5 for thirty seconds and then go back to where I was.

I'm in the same boat with the jogging/running uissue though. When I was younger, I played softball, and severely broke my ankle, and dislocated both knees I don't know how many times. Just take it slow and do what you think you can do. In the meantime, just bump up the incline that you are on. I know the days that I am having ankle issues, I go a bit slower, but I bump my incline up to about a 6 or so.

Good Luck!
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #3  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Why don't you just try walking the first week at the gym? Maybe intervals with the incline and speed? You can still work up a sweat walking at 4.5mph and at an incline. Maybe after that try the elliptical? It's a big calorie burner but easy on the joints. If you do have joint problems, I'd hold off on jogging until you lose some weight because it's more stress on your knees and ankles. Lifting weights, the elliptical, the bikes... cardio classes (less intense than the 30DS) are all wonderful things.
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

when i first started running, i ran for the length of a song (so around 2-3 mins) then walked for 2 songs, for about 45 mins. But if running hurts you, you might want to try things that have less of an impact on joints- the elliptical, cycling, etc.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

If you want to work up to a jog or a run, try C25K. But!!! Take it slower than the actual 8 or 9 weeks. I have bad joints too and I'm on week 5 and doing fine, but for weeks 3-4 my knees got all inflamed and painful. My doc has me on naproxen (Aleve) and it's making workouts a lot better on my joints. I take Aleve about an hour or two before I do anything medium to high impact.

As for queasiness, make sure you're eating and drinking enough. I get light headed if I work out when my body is low on fuel. Make sure you eat something easily digested before a workout though. I usually have some fruit because it gives that extra sugar boost, and I usually have it about half an hour before a workout. Also, you do want to keep drinking water, but you don't want your belly to be full of it when you do cardio because then it will slosh around and make you want to upchuck. I try to take smaller sips of room temp-ish water as I go.

Those ideas work for me but try and see what works for you. Good luck as you get going!
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

oh! And make sure you have good running shoes if you are going to jog, or even walk! I had really awful shoes and running did hurt, i invested about NZ$299 in some decent shoes (had my feet scanned and everything to get some good support) and they made an AMAZING difference
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/236/154

Height: 5'6"

I find i need to wait at least a good 1.5 to 2 hours before i can workout after eating to not have my stomach turn.......and make sure you are hydrated, start slow, i ma sure you are not the the only one to puke doing the 30 day shred!!
Britt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Maybe this is too simplistic...but why don't you start out by jogging until you feel like you want a rest, then walk until you feel like you can jog again? Once you get an idea of how long your jogging/walking intervals are, then you can set goals to increase the jogging times.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #9  
No failure!!!

S/C/G: 265/240/175

Height: 5'10"

Blissclair, I just had complete ankle reconstruction in November and still feel awful. I will never be able to run, which I don't mind that much but feel like I will be in pain for the rest of my life. It is killing me. I walk like a zombie from the thriller video most of the time. Tell me there is light at the end of this road!!!!!
nursemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Definitely invest in some shoes, it's SOOO worth it because your feet support your whole body, and you will definitely notice a difference! I second the motion that you should jog until you feel like you need a rest and walk until you feel like you can again. I know exactly what you mean about walking though, I never feel like its doing anything for me. You'll know when it's time to up your intervals, you're body will just adjust and you'll have more endurance! I can totally tell when I'm not being pushed as hard and need to speed up. Good Luck either way!
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

I have really good shoes as my feet were hurting awhile ago, but since I got new shoes they feel really good.

I was walking with different intervals, I would start at an incline of 0% and every 2 minutes bump it up by .5%. At the end I would stop at 4.5% and then work back down. I was at a speed of possibly 3.5 I think? I felt like my legs/butt was getting tighter but no weight loss. I just always have people on my *** saying that walking won't make me lose weight and it's pointless for me to do it but my joints just can't take it anymore. I tried light jogging before but 30 seconds in my ankles and knees were killing me so bad to the point where I felt I was going to fall flat on my face. I will try walking for a couple weeks and upping my speed until I feel I should be jogging and see how well that works out for me.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #12  
up n down

S/C/G: 170/143/120

Height: 5'2"

I can totally vouch for the Couch 2 5K program. I love it. It has taken me way longer than 10 weeks and I'm only on week 5, but it works. It gradually takes you to the next level and you can control how much you stay on a certain level. It's great. I went from barely being able to jog for 3 min. and feeling like I couldn't breathe to jogging a whole entire mile without getting too winded. But it has taken me since like November to get this far so it takes time and I read somewhere that it takes a long time for you to really see any results from this type of exercise on your body. You will build endurance and tone a little, but not necessarily lose a lot of weight quickly.
LaLa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

Nurse, yes there is! For about 6 months, I had intense physical therapy. (I had shattered my ankle AND dislocated my knee on the same leg!) and used a brace for a few more months. I even went and got special insoles made to give me an arch (Since mine was non-existant) That was almost 7 years ago.

I still have some stiffness occasionally, but it's not enough to hinder any activity that I want to do. I am not a fan of running, and I doubt that I ever will run a marathon or anything, but I can run short distances without pain or stiffness if need be. Now, I can tell when a storm or the weather changes, because I get weird pain in my ankle....
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Celi that stinks, you even have good shoes! Have you tried the elliptical? Don't listen to people say walking is pointless, that's ridiculous! Basically it's all about intensity, so if you are walking at fast pace and getting your heart rate up,your body will be burning calories, and will help to build your endurance...the c25k plan is for everyone too, So I agree with LaLa, I am taking my own pace at it too, but I definitely see a difference.
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #15  
Its Alana Time

S/C/G: 217/ticker/150

Height: 5'4.5''

celi - tell the people who are on your case to stuff it. Weight loss is not a sprint. If so i would be in my bikini already. It is a combo of exercise and diet. Not short cuts.

If your ankles and knees are hurting you while jogging for 30 seconds, then I would hold off on the C25k unless you want to run a 5k in the next 3 months. It sounds to me like you just want to be able to hold your own at the gym. I have bad knees too and even though I run on the treadmill, i am not advocating it here. The elliptical would be great. It is low impact, but a fantastic workout. Or the bike. Losing weight does not mean = running.
starmac13 is offline   Reply With Quote