Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #1  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Default anybody else into kickboxing or other martial arts?

I just recently registered at this martial arts club, doing kickboxing a few times a week. What a workout!!! And so great for releasing frustration. When I leave there I feel so relaxed and energized. Is anyone else doing anything like that?
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

yes but not kickboxing i could never get along witht he only kicking above the waist. i did thia boxing that was awesome, also done judo another excellent work out. taekwondo is another excellent work out. but now i'm into tai chi. nice and relaxed but still can build up a sweat holding the correct form is a good toner.

if you like it and its makes you sweat it gotta be good for you.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/160

Height: 5'11''

Krav Maga -- hands down the best workout I've ever had!
MEGACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i do karate. at first i was sure it wasn't a workout but it is now! ha ha. even though it hurts.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

oh good shout tried that too. however it kills your wrists with all the blocking. if you can find a martial art that has ground work i.e wrestling /mma that you can find a female class for its an excellent work out because along with moving your own body as in a conventional class your also trying to push and pull another person around leading to burning much much more calories.

granted its not for everyone. krav maga is very good not only for cardio but from a females point of view self defence
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/165/145

Height: 5'0

I just recently got into TaeKwonDo and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Its an awesome workout and a great destresser! I have also done cardio kickboxing classes and Tae Bo and loved those as well.
Yelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I am into Thai Boxing. I want to try MMA also.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. It's INSANE.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I love kickboxing... I used to take both karate and cardio-kickboxing from a really serious martial artist.

I'm only now learning, after moving away, that most cardio-kickboxing classes don't involve push-ups on your knuckles on wooden floors, getting yelled at on an individual basis, or even actual gloves/bags most of the time. They're more like... Tae Bo DVDs. It's disappointing. My fancy boxing gloves just sit in a box somewhere in my closet, wrist wraps tucked neatly inside.

I've been to cardiokickboxing at my current school, but I think sometimes I scare the frail little college girls because I get really into it. A few times I've been tempted to say "honey, I'm not going to punch you, you don't have to stand way over there." I would take a real kickboxing class in a heartbeat, but I don't have any money, and they don't have them at my school.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

Height: 5'8"

I'm a blackbelt in taekwondo...I no longer do it because I sustained an injury doing it that lead me to total ankle reconstruction at age 16! I weighed the same I do now, however it was all muscle and I had that great athletic looking body and looked so much better then.

I find martial arts to be so much fun and you dont even realize your getting a workout!
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #11  
back in the game

Wow, you guys are all doing such interesting types of martial arts, some of them I've never heard of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
I'm only now learning, after moving away, that most cardio-kickboxing classes don't involve push-ups on your knuckles on wooden floors, getting yelled at on an individual basis, or even actual gloves/bags most of the time. They're more like... Tae Bo DVDs. It's disappointing. My fancy boxing gloves just sit in a box somewhere in my closet, wrist wraps tucked neatly inside.
So far the classes I've gone to haven't been quite that brutal but the instructors do push us a lot as a class and we do use the bags and gloves and spar with each other. It's too bad you don't have the money right now... I know it's expensive! My mom helped me pay for a few months of it for my birthday.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #12  
back in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post
I am into Thai Boxing. I want to try MMA also.
What's MMA?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I do boxing classes about 3 days a week. Its mostly just hitting bags but you can get in the ring with the instructor if you want to. I love my hot pink boxing gloves almost as much as I love the workout. Each one of the instructors is so different, some work on you mentally and physically and some of them are just out to kill you. Its a nice variation throughout the week.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

I do MMA. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts, it's basically a free-form sort of kickboxing/martial arts/wrestling competitive hand to hand combat. Very fun, very aggressive, and a great workout.

I have yet to find a women's class for MMA, but just about any army or marine base will have an MMA gym and a lot of the special ops soldiers/marines/seals are instructors. DH teaches classes and his favorite hobby is using me as an example. when he's showing how to stack someone up, or perform some complicated offensive maneuver.

And yes, you will do infinite push ups. Sit-up's while someone punches you in the gut, get yelled at, thrown around and beat up. If you aren't comfortable walking around with battle scars and bruises or breaks, MMA is not for you. I think it's fun, but then i'm into that sort of thing with all of the sh*t talking, and getting punched in the ribs.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

I took the bf to an MMA fight for christmas...that was intense! and now we both want to get back into MA!
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote