Old 12-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Not sure why i wanted to post this...

You know how sometimes people will give you clothes as a gift? Its always either way too small or way too big? As a big girl, its can be an uncomfortable exchange..... I usually just ask for gift cards.

I have a friend who has the body of perfection that she has never had to work for, even after having a baby. Shes the girl who went through pregnancy without a stretch mark, who wears spandex dresses... AND who goes out her way to tell you about all the men who hit on her and how gorgeous she is. How everyone can look at her understand she is a tall size 4.
For christmas, her dad got her a gift card for Lane Bryant. She is extremely offended and decided to call ME of all people and tell me how awful it was that anyone would think she could shop there.....

Kind of nice for a change having someone else who doesnt have awkward moments like that to experience what its like.

Any awkward gift moments for you this year?
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #2  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

lol I'll take it! How funny.... maybe he is trying to tell her something! j/k
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #3  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

^ LOL, I was just thinking, "Well jeez, if she's so mad, she can give it to me!" Hopefully your friend will be able to find something there--maybe some bras? I seem to remember my sister (who is tiny) buying bras at LB sometime when she was there with me, so they might have "regular" sizes. Of course, I could be totally wrong, too.

Anyways, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, KateRN. Every year I exchange gifts with a pretty big group of friends, and we almost always buy clothing for one another because it's one of the most useful things to receive (but while still being really fun, too!). In past years, it'd always been a little awkward when I would get home and realize that I couldn't wear something that a friend got for me--usually because it was too small, cuz most (polite) people, when they're unsure of which size to get, will opt for the smaller one. I think it's better off that way, because I definitely have also been the recipient of things that are way too big, and it just prompts you to think, Do they really think I'm that big?! Lol!

This year was slightly better, since my size is a little easier to guess. I'm pretty much a solid "large" in most brands, and so far all the clothes I got this year have been fitting just fine... The only exceptions were an XL dress that one friend got for me, which is sooo cute but might be a little too big, and an XL sweater that my dad got for me--bless him, but he doesn't have the greatest grasp of women's sizes, lol. Sounds like your friend's dad might have a similar problem... Really, she shouldn't be so offended by it (I wasn't). I can understand being disappointed about getting a gift that won't be much use to you, but it seems a little ridiculous to be "angry" about getting a present! She's not entitled to the gift, only the love from her Dad that comes with it.

Last edited by Star2Be; 12-26-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Why dont you be a good freind and take that card off of her back ?
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #5  
wants to look good naked

S/C/G: 200/171.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Ha I know where you are coming from. Last night I had to listen to my best friend who's a stick even after having 2 kids in two years, complain about how fat she is at weighing 130!!!
dizzysoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

She sounds really wrapped up in herself. It's not like she's a size 14 or 16 and on the borderline with plus sizes. She's a size 4. Clearly, her dad is just clueless. So silly for her to be offended. He probably doesn't even know what plus sizes are.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #7  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

wow... she's about 10 sizes off!!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #8  

But that's a typical male for you!! I don't think I've ever had a bf or even my dad know the difference between a small, med, or large! I'm sure it's nothing personal. Lane Bryant really has cute clothes there, so maybe he saw that in the window and went in real quick without realizing the size differences. Men....

My awkward moment of the year? Thanksgiving..my bf of 5 months came over to celebrate with my family...and my ex fiance of 5 years (we've been broken up since June...) showed up to say hello...so my bf hid out in our front room till he left. My parents and their guests and myself included were SO uncomfortable! It would have totally broken my ex's heart if he knew my bf was there...and the bf was more than happy to go and introduce himself, but I told him to be good. Man!!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/162/130

Height: 5'6

my guess is that he didn't have any idea that he gave her a gift card to a plus size store, men never have a clue about shopping. nice of him to try though...
figureskater546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #10  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Courtney View Post
Lane Bryant really has cute clothes there, so maybe he saw that in the window and went in real quick without realizing the size differences. Men...
Exactly! I really doubt that most men realize that LB is known/marketed as a "plus-size" store. So it's not as if he was trying to offend her or anything. KateRN, if your friend still needs to be consoled (lol), you should just show her this thread. It's harder to think logically and realize something like this when you feel like you've been insulted in some way, but really, she has no reason to be upset.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #11  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

lol- she might not be too happy that she was a subject of conversation. But I agree- I'm sure plenty of women here would LOVE to take that off of her hands! I also agree that he probably had no idea that it was a plus sized store. - If nothing else they have some nice accessories in there too which anyone can wear!
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #12  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

How funny! She should take him shopping with her there to get his opinion of how the clothes look.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Another possibility, if she is tall, that he thought that Lane Bryant was the equivalent of a men's "big and tall" store, which would include "small, but tall" sizes.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

It was a lean christmas for my family, we got each other nice things though...only thing was my mother and I went half-sies on a gift for my sister and her family (nephew and husband) which was "Rock Band" a game with a bunch of instruments so you can play together like a band. Seems like she had already gotten in for "Santa" to bring my nephew and was upset. I don't mean the "uh-oh" upset like the balistic upset that kind of threw my mother and I off. She calmed down but wow...that was...well awkward! =P

As for your friend, I am right there with you, I have friends that never had to work for it a day in their life and always complain about being fat, or others that look great and let you know it
JRockSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 AM   #15  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Surely it is the thought of the gift that counts at christmas time. I would have been more than happy with a hand made card! Its like I keep trying to tell my boyfriend its the little LOVE things that matter to me and the gestures, not the all out spending.

Its like people always say - its the thought that counts! It just so happens after a memory stick last year (which i received on the 31st March!) my boyfrend made up for it this year by purchasing me a gift experience of a rally driving school - something I have wanted to do for ever! I was so ecstatic and happy, but still felt bad as I know its a lot of money to spend for christmas!
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote