Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #16  
beachin' for cancun!

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'3"

i eat nonfat, plain yogurt... and without some kind of doctering, there is no way i could eat it!

i mix in some things like...
...sf chocolate syrup
...sf jello mix
...packets of crystal lite (even though it sounds strange, the lemonade one is really good - think lemon merengue pie!)
...mix the yogurt in a smoothie
...use it to make dips for veggies by adding ranch seasoning, french onion, ect.
...use it to make dips for fruit by adding chocolate (great with strawberries) or sf vanilla syrup and almond extract (verrry yummy! like jason's deli's amaretto fruit dip)

good luck with the plain ff yogurt... maybe you'll learn to love it! i thought i was going to throw up the first time i took a bite sans mix-ins!
emikeeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I kept trying to like plain yogurt at first, and it wasn't really working, even with added honey.

Then I tried Greek yogurt. First Fage, then the Trader Joe brand. I found the TJ brand was less sour than Fage, but others have felt the opposite.

But ... yeah, the TJ Greek yogurt made ALL the difference. I add fruit, and I don't even add any kind of sweetener. Sometimes I add a little maple syrup for the flavor (when I'm doing fruit on pancakes), but usually not.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I use low fat yogurt all the time! Mostly it's used as a substitute for sour cream and tastes awesome.
- on a potato
- w/seasoning packets from the store to make veggie dip
- on tacos
- cucumber & yogurt (same recipe as jahjah except I put dried mint into it as well). I eat it alone as a side or with chicken or beef... or just as a snack. love the stuff!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #19  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Toast a pita, grill some chicken strips seasoned with a little chile, garlic, and cumin powder to taste and put on pita with lettuce. Mix yogurt with diced cucumbers and top chicken. It's like a greek gyro..YUMMO!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #20  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

lol- I eat non-fat plain yogurt almost every day. I guess it is an acquired taste. I use it in place of sour cream without stirring in anything. I also make fake chocolate pudding by stirring in cocoa powder and agave nectar with a little Splenda or Stevia. When I have it for breakfast I usually stir in fruit and a little agave nectar- sometimes Kashi Go Lean too.

HTH
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #21  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i like plain yoghurt i think, ive never found it gross so i dunno if we are on the same lines here But its quite tart. I like it with a bit of honey and some berries like other ppl have suggested
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190 / 160 / 115

Height: 5'2

I hate plain regular yogurt (both the texture and the taste). But I do looove nonfat plain greek yogurt. YUM! I eat it with frozen blueberries and sometimes granola or a high fiber cereal.

For the record, I don't think I'll ever like cottage cheese. I've given it a chance so many times, but I can never develop a taste for it.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #23  
~*one step at a time*~

S/C/G: 181/176.5/140

Height: 5`3"

never tried it, but ill be sure not to buy it now. Thanks for being the unintended guinea pig
Hellsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I'm a yoghurt lover as well - if I could exist entirely on yoghurt I would. And die happy

I used plain yoghurt a lot.

1. Tzatziki dip - Grate a whole cucumber (the big long ones) and drain thoroughly...too much moisture makes the dip to runny. Add garlic and lemon to taste (I usually add about 3tsp of crushed bottled garlic and about 3 generous tablespoons of lemon juice) with chopped up fresh mint add to about 500gms plain yoghurt and mix thoroughly. Oh...and add a little salt.

I use this on sandwiches, as a dressing, as a dip...yum yum

2. Plain yoghurt is a good sub for milk in cooking. It gives the cake or muffin a creamy moist richness you'd usually associate with using cream.

3. A dollop of plain yoghurt is awesome on Indian cooking...especially tandoori!

4. A nice dressing I like (used it just last night) 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise to 3 Tablespoons plain yoghurt mixed through with hot english mustard to taste (you could use seeded if you wanted something milder)

5. Plain yoghurt is great in smoothies...banana with a little honey and milk...mmm...

6. A generous dollop of greek yoghurt on fruit salad is lovely drizzed with honey

7. Muesli with plain yoghurt with a chopped up banana for breakfast

... I could keep going lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #25  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Okay so here's the update...

I had my mom smell it... said it smelled fine.
Had Mom taste it... she wanted to throw it out.

We then got in a debate, because some of you had mentioned it was a bit tart...

let me interject that it is FAT FREE... not low fat... plain yogurt.

So the jury is still out as to whether or not to throw it out.

LOL

Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Thanks to this thread i went out and bought me some! haha
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #27  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Can someone please tell me about the Greek yogurt. Is it supposed to provide some benefit generic doesn't? I have eaten it before but for the price difference, I want to know I am getting "bang for my buck."
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Can someone please tell me about the Greek yogurt. Is it supposed to provide some benefit generic doesn't? I have eaten it before but for the price difference, I want to know I am getting "bang for my buck."

1. Flavor and texture. It's thicker, and to me, much less tart.

2. Seems to be higher in protein, but probably due to being thicker.

3. Generally no preservative or thickeners. Obviously, not all regular plain yogurts have those things, and I'm sure there's Greek yogurt out there somewhere that does.

For me, it's all about #1. My Greek yogurt (I'm presently using 2%) is like a treat to me. Plain yogurt was always something I was doing to try to make a healthier choice, but not quite loving it. #2 is a nice bonus. #3 is a necessity to me, so even if I wasn't having Greek yogurt, I'd be tracking down an acceptable regular yogurt.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-18-2008 at 08:23 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #29  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Thank you, Julie.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi - this may seem like a silly question, but could someone tell me exactly what "nonfat" yogurt is. I have seen low fat, fat free on labels but never anything saying "nonfat". If there is no difference between nonfat and fat free why do people refer to it as nonfat? Thanks for any help.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote