Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

My grandmothers house. That side of the family is from Kentucky and my grandma is country! Breakfast is the worst there, eggs cooked in bacon grease, biscuits, muffins, AND cinnamon buns, sausage and eggs, gravy, hashbrowns cooked in grease from the meat. Every now and then she'll throw some grapes on the table, but overall its a bad deal.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Oh god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli32 View Post
My grandmothers house. That side of the family is from Kentucky and my grandma is country! Breakfast is the worst there, eggs cooked in bacon grease, biscuits, muffins, AND cinnamon buns, sausage and eggs, gravy, hashbrowns cooked in grease from the meat. Every now and then she'll throw some grapes on the table, but overall its a bad deal.
That's a bad deal!? Haha! I'm a country girl too. Reading this I actually just drooled on my keyboard. Sounds like Sunday breakfast. LoL!

It made me so homesick! I miss my momma.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #18  
=D

Sausages, homemade fried sweet potato chips, white bread, and thank god! Salad!! .....coated in caesar dressing and croutons....
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #19  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
I thought the deleterious health effects of trans fats were quite well known now,
True; though Crisco, for at least the last year, has made their shortening trans-fat free. While it can still contain a trace amount of trans fat legally, the amount is minute enough to only be of concern if you're eating alot of it.

Besides, there are several home-made desserts that just can't be made without it.

My "worst meal" out was at a Denny's. My mom had wanted a breakfast out for Mother's Day, and Denny's was one of the few places in town that served breakfast. Well, they had barely anything that didn't involve some kind of pork product, and were out of strawberries for pancakes/waffles. I ended up ordering poached eggs and toast. We waited 30 minutes - apparently our waiter changed shift. When our order finally came, my eggs were cold and the bread wasn't toasted. Nasty.

That particular Denny's is no longer in business.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 11-02-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband's stepmother is a horrible cook (my husband once spent an hour -at her request - explaining how to make salmon on the grill wrapped in foil - and she took three pages of notes - asking questions like exact cooking time. Hubby said it depends on the size of the fish - and she asked well can't I just ask the guy at the counter to cut it to the exact same size hubby had used - oh yeah, I can imagine asking the fish guy to trim a piece of salmon to EXACTLY 3 inches by 10 inches by 1.25 inches).

The absolutely worst meals at their house are those in which she tried to accomodate hubby and my "diets." She makes a salad dressing from a recipe that a friend gave her, that is actually quite good - and not too bad calorie wise, but she decided to accomodate our diets (without asking us how to do so), she made a hideous salad with tons of fruit and nuts in it - including pineapple which really clashed with the light honey mustard salad dressing she bought. What was sad is the yucky combo had a lot more calories than her standby recipe)

Another attempt she made at accomodating us (again without asking for suggestions) was to buy fat free hotdogs and diet bread for a cookout (and no regular versions for she and her husband). Well my husband and his dad couldn't do "tactful" if their life depended on it - and expressed their disgust at the hot dogs and the bread. I have to say, while I'm not a fan of fat free hot dogs - my mother likes them so I've tasted a few brands. Somehow SMIL found the worst tasting brand on the market. The diet bread was weird too - it had the consistency of sawdust, which I don't remember noticing in any light bread that I ever bought.

My husband and I keep telling her we don't eat most "diet" foods because so many of them are bizarre frankenfoods that taste horrible, and we'd rather have smaller portions of "regular" food. She just refuses to get it though, and every dinner with them is a stranger and stranger adventure each time.
She keeps buying "sugar free" crap for us, because hubby is diabetic and I'm prediabetic," then gets upset if we don't eat them (because the carb counts are often as high as if they contained sugar).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #21  

Nishkitten I'm a country girl too and I used to eat this food like there was no tomorrow.. I didn't know how to cook eggs without making them "dirty" until college lol. which is why I'm dieting now I just can't eat her food anymore because I spend all day in the bathroom since I don't eat greasy foods now. (TMI?)

Holidays are the worst at her house, she spends days cooking "treats" and has the card table spread continuously flourishing from Thanksgiving until after New Years!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli32 View Post
Nishkitten I'm a country girl too and I used to eat this food like there was no tomorrow.. I didn't know how to cook eggs without making them "dirty" until college lol. which is why I'm dieting now I just can't eat her food anymore because I spend all day in the bathroom since I don't eat greasy foods now. (TMI?)

Holidays are the worst at her house, she spends days cooking "treats" and has the card table spread continuously flourishing from Thanksgiving until after New Years!
See, I'm never sedentary so I use that as an excuse to cheat with the bacon grease. I can't eat greens without it, they don't taste right. Something about the mingling of porkfat and vinegar that makes everything right with the world. I don't scrimp on the actual holidays either. Thanksgiving day and Christmas day I eat everything, all day, until I literally can't move and my only option is to sleep it off. I just avoid eating the leftovers, or eating that stuff on any other day and it keeps me in check.

My in-laws eat out constantly and don't cook at all. They're also "those" people that buy everything or make everything (what little they do create from pre-packaged boxes of crap) the low-fat version. Dear god, a few Christmas's ago we visited them and his mom made some disgusting low fat version of pecan pie that was pretty suspect, and attempted to bake a SKINLESS turkey which bled as though it was still alive when first cut because it was burning so she took it out early. When something has to cook that long in open heat it needs the effing skin! A skinless turkey would be great for a slow cooker though. That's when I piped up and suggested that either I take the reigns for dinner or we go somewhere since I didn't feel like dying in a Las Vegas E.R. at Christmas time. The responsibility was turned over to me in an instant much to my relief and I managed to save Christmas.

I was glad she surrendered her kitchen to a master, but I could have hit her in the f*cking forehead... low fat pecan pie...*Grumble.* Some things are culinary blasphemy and should not be done. Ever. It was dumped down the sink and I made a real one.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #23  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I d'nno if this thread is meant as a "they served me straight lard!" type thread, but the worst meal I had as a guest...

My ex boyfriend's family eats their steak blue-rare. BLUE-RARE. Eugh, it was bleeding on my green beans... I'm by no means a vegetarian, and I don't even mind my meat being a little pink in the middle. But if there's a pool of blood around my steak... we have a problem.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #24  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
I d'nno if this thread is meant as a "they served me straight lard!" type thread, but the worst meal I had as a guest...

My ex boyfriend's family eats their steak blue-rare. BLUE-RARE. Eugh, it was bleeding on my green beans... I'm by no means a vegetarian, and I don't even mind my meat being a little pink in the middle. But if there's a pool of blood around my steak... we have a problem.
Oh God thats repulsive. I won't even eat a steak if it's a TINY bit pink in the middle.
I'm a well-done girl.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #25  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I don't know that I've ever had an actually terrible horrible meal over at someone else's house.

I had some pretty bad spaghetti once (jarred sauce, ground beef that wasn't broken up well, and wayyy overcooked noodles) served with garlic bread (white hotdog buns thrown in the oven with some country crock spread and garlic powder), but even that was tolerable.

DBF's dad made us brunch a few times during the summer and since I was tired of keeping my mouth shut and eating really fattening foods, DBF and I did the shopping for ingredients (as usual) and I bought some eggbeaters, as I didn't care anymore if I came across as a health-conscious girly-girl. His dad insisted on cooking because he wanted to make omelets, but he couldn't quite figure out the eggbeaters, so I ended up with a pile of egg/cheese/veggie slop on my plate that although it didn't look pretty, tasted really good! Haha.

Growing up, my mom was such a bad cook that usually I didn't flinch at other people's creations. When we lived in Europe and didn't have a garbage disposal, my mom tried to utilize the scraps of leftovers as much as possible, so one night we ended up with creamy garlic mexican casserole. It was made of those Knorr dried side dish noodle packets mixed with some mexican lasagna type thing she had made. We still don't let her forget that one... Haha.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

The worst dinner ever actually came from my poor mom. She was trying something new but it ended up basically being a refried bean pie. It was disgusting. I can't even tell you what she was trying to make, but that was what it ended up being. Her feelings were so hurt, but it was nasty.

My husband is a SUPER picky eater so we avoid eating at friend's houses. He'll only eat his grandma's & my cooking. So thankfully we have avoided many potentially nasty dinners.
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

some kind of ewy gewy fish soup eurgh it was HORRIBLE!!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post

That sounds gross and very unhealthy! lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

tuna spaghetti.
That's really all I need to say, except, sadly, I made it. Thank God I was only cooking for myself that night....

Edit: I also wanted to add my grandma's "creamy" scrambled eggs. Ever eaten scrambled eggs so undercooked that they slid through a fork? Ever thanked the good Lord for anti-nausea drugs?
I've done both.

Last edited by chickybird; 11-02-2008 at 10:05 PM.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickybird View Post

Edit: I also wanted to add my grandma's "creamy" scrambled eggs. Ever eaten scrambled eggs so undercooked that they slid through a fork? Ever thanked the good Lord for anti-nausea drugs?
I've done both.
HAHA! that reminds me of my grandmas heaping pile of dirty eggs. there's a billion people in my family so she just makes a whole carton of eggs and throws them all on the plate.. needless to say the kids get the plate last and not only are the eggs sitting in a pile of bacon grease.. they are cold. cold medium eggs. yum.

NishKitten I also have to have the pork fat in my greens.. we tried the canned greens in order to avoid some unneccesary fat.. I've never been more grossed out in my life.