Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The other thing you ahve to be careful about with store bought and restaurant sushi is that some places put mayo in it to add to the flavor and texture. My favorite ever sushi place here adds mayo to just about every roll, so I always make sure to ask for no mayo.

They don't, however, add sugar to their rice. They just use sushi rice and vinegar. So you kinda have to ask to find out what's in your particular brand or restaurant's recipes.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-08-2008 at 02:23 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
thats odd, i have never used sugar for making sushi, i've just used short grain rice whichh is sticky anyway, and sushi vinegar. Unless the vinegar has sugar in it?
Yes, it does. I use unseasoned vinegar and add sugar, because the vinegar is more versatile to me unseasoned. If the vinegar says sushi vinegar or seasoned vinegar on the bottle it has sugar in it.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #18  

Height: 5 5

Default "Sushi" Vocab!

I love going out for sushi- since I am a professional cook there isn't a lot I can't make at home but this is the one area I will allow myself to spend the money once every few months and eat out for! I would say that the benefits of sushi outweigh the risks, so long as you aren't eating it everyday. Here's a little breakdown of the vocabulary, as it relates to the amount of rice, it should help you make the best decision for you:

Maki: These are the "rolls" and what most people refer to when they talk about sushi. They contain the most rice, and then have the filling wrapped up in seaweed paper. They require the most skill on the part of the chef, and thus tend to be the priciest- but they actually have the least amount of the fish itself.

Sushi: Sushi is a larger piece of fish draped over a small ball of rice and bound together with a small band of seaweed paper.

Sashimi: Sliced raw fish- no rice involved.

For me when I go, I order primarily sashimi and then maybe one order of sushi. A side salad and miso soup help round it out. Sometimes I miss the maki, but I love the clean sort of full that I experience when I focus on just the fish. Hope this helps!
greycella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 176/150/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't know if you have a Fry's grocery store where you are, but they have sushi there made with the brown rice instead for a healthier version.
kimberlyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #20  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

all this sushi talk is making me crave sushi.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote