5K anyone?

• Has anyone run a 5K?

I'm thinking of registering for our homecoming run which is in 2 weeks.

I ran for 80 minutes today, I felt like I could go forever! I know that I can do the distance, but I also know that I may be one of the last people to finish....

Has anyone ever done one? I'm kind of scared and embarrassed that I may be the slowest on there?
  • i almost signed up for one a little while ago....
    but stupidly i didnt until it was so late....
    i was so disappointed....
    go for it girl, so what if you are one of the last to finish....
    at least you did it!....
  • I've run 5 km before but i've never done a 5 km race before. I've signed up for my first quarter marathon in November, i say register and go for it!
  • I'm like you...I'm looking for a 5K run, and I'm running over an hour on my long runs...but I am S- L - O - W!!! But, when I checked out the times from the same race last year, I'm not that slow!! My time for 3.1 miles is somewhere between 30 and 34 minutes (although I haven't done that shorter distance in a while to see if I'm faster), and there were MANY way below that. That made me feel a lot better!!

(also, you can go to runnersworld.com, the bulletin boards there, they have a lot of talk in the beginner's session...some are QUITE fast, but many are slower than I!)
  • I think you should go for it! When it comes to coming last - everybody starts somewhere, how else would they improve? And you'll also feel great for doing it afterward
  • Garstar-

You should totally do it! I'm going to do our homecoming race Oct 19. and I'm totally nervous about being last! But it's a great accomplishment to even finish! First off I'm focusing on finishing, but then I'm working on upping my times so I'm not last!

Let me know if you decide to do it! And how the training goes!
  • Thanks, it's not really a race.... at least there's not a lot of pressure to be first you know? I think I'll do it, I'm going to see if a girlfriend of mine will run it with me.... thanks
  • I'd love to, but I'm only up to about 2 miles so far. Maybe in the spring
  • Before I was even into losing weight and exersizing, I did a 5k. It was this summer and it was for a friend of a friend who had cancer. I got my butt kicked by moms with strollers, but I was not last and I came in under 1 hour. Usually the events for charity do not care if you run or walk or a combo, they are happy to have you and you are doing something good for yourself, as well as others.

It's going to be too cold here in Maine to be outside running, but I plan to do another 5k when the weather is warm and my goal is to bet the women with strollers.