Spicy Food

• I've heard so many things about spicy food helping burn more calories and such. Just wondering if anyone else actual has truth to show for this?
  • I have read that spicy foods do raise your metabolism, but not an incredible amount and only for a short amount of time. If you like spicy food, then eat it, if you don't I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Not worried about it, just curious that's all.
  • I love spicy food, and eat it quite alot. I don't notice that it burns calories so much faster than other foods that it creates a noticeable difference, but I do notice that I am much less likely to overeat foods that are near my maximum enjoyability tolerance. I tend to notice being satisfied sooner, whereas with non-spicy foods I often don't have, or don't notice the "had enough" signals until I've eaten too much.
  • It might...
    but certainly not enough to be noticeable. Believe me, if it were I would be a size two! I eat habaneros as snacks throughout the day, and I don't think i've ever even cooked a dish without chili's before. It does tend to kill my appetite.

Then again, maybe your metabolic reaction to it varies with your spicy tolerance...? Like you have to have that heart rate, break out in a slight sweat reaction or something, which i'll admit I haven't been able to get even from a habanero in years. So i'm probably not the best example.

On the flip side, they do provide tons of vitamin C and ease the symptoms of colds, sore throats, and sinus infections.
  • This might not be the answer you're looking for, but I've noticed eatting spicy foods helps keep me going to the bathroom regularly... which is said to help with weight loss/health.
    Sometimes I'll even take a shot of cayenne pepper and chug drink a glass of water if its been too long... and that helps right away!
    Haha, hope this helps in a round-about way!
  • Maybe that's why I dont get sick very often lol. j/k anyways they do seem to curb my hunger as I can only take the heat forso long then I give up no matter how good it tastes
  • I've never noticed any difference, and I eat spicy foods alot (I love cooking Mexican foods, especially). I do notice that if I eat a very hot salsa, I'll eat less of it, and thus fewer chips.

Of course, any calorie saving/burning would be eliminated by overuse of sour cream.
  • im not a spicy food lover....
    bf cud eat it foreva tho!....
  • I love spicy food, but it gives me crazy heartburn!