Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Friend taking diet pills - Discouraging!

Okay, so a close friend of mine has been seeing this weightloss doctor who prescribes her phentermine. She takes one pill a day and does not eat..she has no appetite. Well, she does buy these shakes that the doctor sells and I believe they are meal replacement shakes. So I take that back, she is drinking the shakes but she doesn't eat any food. In the past four weeks she has lost 14lbs! I'm really happy for her that she is seeing results and estatic about that, but it's hard to watch that when here I am on WW and my weightloss is nothing compared to that. I lost 2.5lbs last week and normally I would be soo freakin happy...but it's discouraging when that's what my friend loses in like two days.

I know I know... I know better that you have to change your lifestyle to make this work for a lifetime but it's frustrating! I'm also worried about her taking this approach, but when someone is losing weight like crazy they don't really want to try WW or calorie counting and lose 1-2lbs/week(just throwing out an estimate). I will admit.. I am a teeny bit tempted to go to this miraculous doctor but I know when the pills stop...the pounds would most likely start piling on.

What do you guys think about this?
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I think all you can do is support your friend and keep on doing what you are doing. You are doing great and doing it the healthy way. Maybe you could express that wou are worried for her and try to get her to eat something nutritional. Your right when she stops taking the pill and starts eating real food again the weight will prolly start creeping back on.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

Well, a cocktail of weight loss pills and shakes isn't something I'd want to live on - I predict that down the road, when you have lost even more weight the HEALTHY way, she will have gained most of hers back once she starts eating again. Lots of people lose weight by eating little to nothing, or taking up other bad habits such as smoking. Just because they look thinner doesn't necessarily mean they are healthier.

Keep doing what you are doing!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #4  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

I initially went to a diet Dr. who prescribed me phen also. I was over 330 and needed help to kick start the weight loss. The pills really make you not feel hungry and I was able to stop my binging habits. I stopped taking the pills after a couple of months and have been doing it on my own. (at the doctors recommendation) I don't see anything wrong with taking diet pills if it helps you, so you should support your friend. As for the shakes, its like slimfast. There are a bizzillion people in the world who do the slimfast thing, and even if it doesn't last, she will need support. Everyone's diet journeys are their own. I would try to stop comparing yours and hers. She maybe initially losing more (I was the same) but even with the pills it gradually tapers off. My best friend and I started going to the Dr. at the same time--She was about 150 and I was 330...and she would become discouraged but also encouraging at the same time. I was forever reminding her that I was more than 2 of her put together, so she was losing it just right. =]
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I'm sorry what kind of Dr encourages that kind of weight loss? dont feel discouraged hun, you're doing an awesome job and you just rest assured that when you're friend stops taking those pills shes going to pile the weight back on - something you won't have to worry about. If you lose 1lb a month, it all adds up in the end!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #6  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like your friend's weight loss definitely can't be healthy... Especially since she can't continue on this program, so as you said the weight will definitely pile on again. Like you said, if she's on a program that isn't truly helping her to form healthy new habits and actually change her lifestyle, she won't be able to maintain the loss--that's pretty much a proven fact! Also, she probably lost weight so quickly because she's just starting out. I lost about 15 pounds in the first 2 weeks of my plan, too, but I'm already starting to settle into a more reasonable amount of loss per week--a couple pounds per week (if that!), like you said. I'm sure it must be hard to see her making so much progress so quickly, but don't be discouraged. 2.5 lbs in one week is great progress for you!! Think of the tortoise and the hare: slow and steady wins the race! Lol.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #7  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

While I don't think there is a magic pill to solve peoples weight loss issues in the long run, some people need a pill to convince then they can do it. And if that works for her in the here and now...whatever floats her boat just support her as a friend. We all need differnt things. I take anti depressants for my depression and if I'm not on them I binge eat for days. I don't know if its totally psychological or if the pills actually help control my binging but I feel like I need them or I'm not sucessful in my dieting endevors.
You are doing great, 2.5 lbs in a week is superb progress and above the norm. Keep it up!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaeh View Post
I will admit.. I am a teeny bit tempted to go to this miraculous doctor but I know when the pills stop...the pounds would most likely start piling on.
Heck, I'm tempted to see this doctor. Who wouldn't be? Losing weight so fast... However, I think the highlighted tells the end of that story for both you & me.

I know that pills & shakes are not the solution for my weight loss. And all the best to your friend. I hope that she's able to transition to regular meals down the road when she needs to.

If she's seeing a doctor, let it be. Support her when she brings it up. If you're truly curious, you could always ask her if she's at all worried about returning to eating solid foods for meals.

It's so hard not to compare ourselves to others. We do it all the time for many things. But, weightloss is so individual. It's so personal. Comparing ourselves to our friends isn't telling the whole story.

For example, let's say I have a friend who is losing weight rather rapidly, but she's only eating 1,200 calories worth of french fries a day. Sure, I'm jealous of how much she's losing, but do I really want to eat only 1,200 cals of french fries a day? I think I'd lose my mind before I lost all the weight.

If what you're doing is working for you, enjoy it. Enjoy your progress. Take to heart the lessons you're learning on your own and from WW. Even if you did lose all the weight using only pills & shakes, you'd still need to master the lessons of weight loss in order to keep the weight off permanently. And the more practice, the better.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176

Height: 5"7

It it hard to work harder than someone and see them get better result but more important than weightloss is being healthy and pills and shakes is not healthy...you are doing the right thing...the best thing and 2.5 lbs in a week is incredible!
startingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #10  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

Cool

i ordered phentermine off of the internet and took the pills for a few months. i also was exercising and eating healthy... the side effects were not so great but it did aid my weight loss.

i also was on weight watchers last year and lost over 21 pounds. i would have to say that the better of the two experiences was weight watchers because now i KNOW how to eat.

the moral of the story is phentermine isnt the drug and it isnt the greatest either but if she is really your friend support her and know that the way you are deciding to lose weight will give you more benefits in the long run. and maybe when she does get off you can help her learn to eat better!
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #11  

Thanks guys for your advice. I am definitely going to support her because I know firsthand how difficult it is to struggle with weight.. and I want to see her happy. I did suggest to her that once the pills are done she should take a look at the WW plan. Of course I am an advocate for WW because I love it, but I know there are other great plans and ways to lose the weight.

Faerie - You are completely right... and yes it is so hard to not compare your own weightloss to others! I need to just keep doing what I'm doing and relax.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #12  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
i ordered phentermine off of the internet and took the pills for a few months.
I did this too, a couple of years ago, but I stopped taking the pills after a few days. Phentermine (if that's what it actually was - who knows?) made me so jittery and hyper that I could barely function.

Eating sensibly and exercising may not lead to quick, dramatic weight loss, but it feels SO much better.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:44 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

must say ive tried nearly everything on the market before attempting the hard way....
its only the hard way that has worked for me....
i hope it continues to work....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote