Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #1  
I will do this.

Default Taking the next step

So I feel really close to most of you girls on here - but what I haven't told is that I have been a smoker for 9 years.

Friday I was smoking with my boyfriend and we both looked at each other and knew that we couldn't do it anymore.

We cut back saturday and it now has been 24 hours since our last smoke and I feel great and I know it is my time to quit.

With that being said, this whole weekend has been a binge. My eating has been totally crazy and has been scaring me.

I am not willing to give myself the freedom of being a non-smoker and then killing myself by being over weight.

I want to do this. I don't want to die young due to something preventable.

Has anyone quit smoking and lost weight at the same time?

I just want to know it's possible and if it's not...I am gonna do it anyway.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

yes you can do it! I cant imagine how hard it must be, maybe for the time being you should allow yourself a little leway until the smoking cravings go away a bit? it might be a week or so off plan, but maybe its worth it in the long run?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't smoke, but I know the hold it can have on you because my dad has been a smoker for majority of his life. I hate that he does it. However, I wanted to ask you: have you tried the nicorette gum? Maybe it will help you cut the cravings and, thus, not make you want to eat as much? Just a thought. Finally, I really admire you for your courage and determination. Please don't give up on the smoking and the diet front. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

well done....
it must be a huge drain combining the both....
i dont think i cud have dieted while giving up smoking....
not that i ever have smoked....
determinations what you need....
dont let anybody tempt you....
cos there are some cruel cruel people out there....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Good for you!! My dad was a smoker for 35 years and he quit in January this year. At the same time he started to write everything he ate down and he lost 40lbs. Note: he did take zayban (?) before he really quit smoking. But believe me, if he can do it, anybody can do it. I have been on my dad's case since I was little to quit smoking, and he just wouldn't (or I think couldn't).

Then my weight became the discussion topic for the holidays over December, and I told them about the amount of calories that you should consume etc. I told him about nutritien and when I watched the biggest loser on TV, he joined in.

I got him interested in a healthy life style without even knowing it. Then one day in the middle of January (and it was not because of the new year) he just said that he takes care of the house (repaint it every now and again etc), takes care of his cars (take it for services etc) but he never takes care of his body. So he got zayban and started writing everything he ate down. He ate 1,800 cals a day (he is 6'2") and he never ever went of plan. It is as if a light bulb went on, and one day he just started to look after his own 'vehicle' as he put it.

My dad is a very good motivational speaker, and he believes that everything is in the mind. He says that if you think it is hard - it will be. You need to believe that it is not hard to lose weight - and it won't be.

And what is the magic secret according to my dad? Write down, write down, write down.

Last edited by Findmyself; 08-18-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/153/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm not a smoker, so I cannot relate, but I just wanted to tell you that I think it's amazing that you want to take that next step and I applaud your efforts.

Way to go!
KristanAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Taylor: I think you're amazing anyways. I think you and I started the forum around the same time and I've always been amazed by your dedication and openness. Look how far you've come in a short time, you can do this! Especially if you and your man are doing it together you can.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #8  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go again View Post
Taylor: I think you're amazing anyways. I think you and I started the forum around the same time and I've always been amazed by your dedication and openness. Look how far you've come in a short time, you can do this! Especially if you and your man are doing it together you can.
Ditto. I don't believe for a second that you can't quit smoking and lose weight at the same time. Maybe some people can't, but YOU can.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #9  
Registered Diva

S/C/G: 172/142/119

Height: 5'5

hi there!! I smoked for 5 years and this last year I smoked 1 pack a day. Two weeks ago I quit smoking, it was relatively easy. I KNEW I could do it, had no doubt in my mind and after the 3rd day, i rarely thought about it. If a craving came to mind, Id think of something else FAST. I didnt diet the 1st week, thought it was too cruel. But now I think about it, I couldve followed a diet easily. I started my diet 1 week ago and it has been going great. Technically, I was still 'quitting'. Read somewhere that it is only after the 2nd week that your body stops asking for nicotine.
all you need is an unmovable determination. Just do it. If you see a cigarrette, look away. And the same goes for the chocolate. Don't forget to think, try to think a lot before you act. The 1st time I quit smoking, on my 12th day I said, "oh! I'll just have one cigarrette, and that'll be it". WRONG! It led to 3 more months of smoking. If I'd thought about it better, I would've known that there's no such thing as "just one cigarrette".
Yoga has helped with the whole diet/smoking thing. Makes me feel more in control and makes me appreciate the great things about CLEAN air.

Best of luck!!
need anything, I'm there.
lointhecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #10  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

i am not a smoker but i feel if you put your mind to it you can do it. Good Luck
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I too applaud you for your efforts! You truly are making the effort towards a completely healthier lifestyle. I've never smoked, so I can't relate, but if you can get past this, you can do anything! I wish you luck...
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor86 View Post
I just want to know it's possible and if it's not...I am gonna do it anyway.
And this is why you're gonna make it. You will find a way, whatever it takes.

Congratulations!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #13  
I CAN do it!!

S/C/G: 175/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

taylor-
I smoked on and off (mostly on) for about 8 years. I quit this January and haven't looked back. I just knew it was time to quit, like you, and figured if I want to really take care of y body and worry about the food I put into it, then I better stop smoking formaldehyde and tar and killing myself one stick at a time. Once you get that in your head, it's easy.
In terms of losing weight and not smoking, you totally can! Instead of a smoke, have a glass of water. Best advice ever. Because you'll never smoke while drinking just water and you won't be filling up on crappy calories. Or have some celery and PB or a light snack.
Honestly, you can do it, if anything not smoking will make your exercise SOOOOOOOO much easier too!!!
Good luck sweetie!
MeganMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #14  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Taylor, you rock. I agree with the posts above - if ANYONE can do it, you can.

Do what you feel you can do. Focus on what you're doing well - so maybe you're eating isn't totally on-plan, but you're still working out and you're NOT smoking. Eventually it will all come together

Good luck!!!!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

Taylor - Just wanted to send a little your way! I know you can do this. If I may suggest... this is more of a weight-loss thing, but I've heard it being used for smoking, too. Sugar-free gum. Much of my food fixation has been that my mouth is bored. I give it something (relatively) harmless to do!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote