Old 08-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #1  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Default Packing for college rant!

I'm starting my packing to head back home - and oh my gosh! I am SO glad I'm starting early!!!

I've got four suitcases worth of clothes, and can only take one back with me. So I'm trying to narrow it all down to, what to donate, what to mail to myself, what to pack this trip, and what to bring back with me when I come home for Thanksgiving.

I've got five pairs of jeans which takes up HALF my suitcase! Then I've got four hoodies for laying with my winter coat with takes up half of what's left! And I've still got to get in shirts, pj pants, tshirts, shoes, undies, socks, and gym clothes and shoes! THIS IS AWFUL!

And do gym clothes have to count as pjs?? Or can I have both?? It's four dollars per load to do laundry at school! Ohhhh I might end up ripping my hair out!!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #2  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i understand ur dilema....
no matter where i go i always end up with too many clothes....
ive only just finished donating all my big clothes....
feel theres going to be more to come in the near future....
ever thought about handwashing some of your clothes to save you some money?!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #3  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Have you tried rolling your clothes that can help a lot with space. Also I think you can have both if you want!
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

I'm a military/expat brat - so I can pack like the best of them! There's just TOO much STUFF! I want to kick those airline price raising people square in the SHIN!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #5  
i WANT this...bad

OMG yeah!! And I had to pay to check my luggage over memorial day just for having checked luggage. I wasn't even over the weight limit and he was like yeah you need to pay for checking luggage and MY tip isn't in that fee. I was like you don't get a tip you are getting paid to be here.

Last edited by SephyFowl; 08-17-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

Wow! What a jerk!! What airline did you fly??
Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Handwashing clothes saved me sooooooooo much money at school! I took several dance classes a week, so after every one if I had machine-washed my leotards and tights and everything I would've been BROKE!!! I almost cried out of happiness when my college upped tuition $90 (like that even matters when you're already paying a bajillion) so that we could have free laundry. It was a godsend.

I don't know if you have stuff that needs to be drycleaned, but Dryel is super as well!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #8  
Just keep breathing!

Living in the AK, all of our winter stuff is always thick and heavy, and it would take sooooooo long to dry And it's also taking soooooo much ROOM in my SUITCASE! ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGgG!@!!!#@$%#^@$#!!!

I'm taking a break from packing. It's just not working.

That sounds GREAT about the laundry stuff being part of the tuition for room and board. Seriously, after several thousands of dollars per semester, what's another 100?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #9  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Wow, BUMMER. I live close enough to my college that I can drive in for move-in day, so we just clear the seats out of the back of my family's mini-van... Lemme tell you, I FILL that sucker. Hehe. I have ridiculous amounts of clothing, too (really--it's ridiculous) and I don't know what I'd do if I had to limit myself to one suitcase... I'd be just as frustrated as you, I'm sure. Good luck with the packing.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

you could always WEAR the stuff that wont fit, like all the winter clothes. I did that when i was going skiing in queenstown and my luggage was over weight- just wore all my skii gear on the plane it was one hot ride though
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/214/130

Squish it in! I live at home and drive about an hour to my college. (I go back next Tuesday! So excited!) So I don't have to pack. I don't know how I could pack four months of clothes in one suit case. I hope you get to take everything you need.
Moonring05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Have you thought of investing in some space bags?? Ya know, the kind that you either roll the air out of or (better) vacuum the air out with a hose? I have a friend who's going to Spain for the next semester and watching him pack I kept thinking "He'll NEVER fit all that stuff into that suitcase!!" Then he just sucked the air out of the bags and all of it fit into one suitcase!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #13  

I agree, space bags are a godsend. When I had to pack up for college I managed to fit my winter clothes, pillows, my gigantic comforter, sheets, and towels in one space bag.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #14  
Just keep breathing!

Ooohh!!! I totally forgot about those!!!!!!!!!!! They DO work beautifully!! yes!!! Going to the store tonight!!! You ladies are a god send! I GET TO PACK MY SHOES NOW!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #15  
i WANT this...bad

LOL my shoes go in first. well maybe second lol.. I flew AA. I was not happy and wont fly them again. I totally forgot about space bags too. The ex uses them for his ruck.. Get the vacuum ones though, much easier!