Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #16  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I've flown all the American airlines, and many many international ones - and AA is the worst experience flying I've ever had. From the moment I checked in until I arrived at my destination - every single person was rude, the landings and take offs were terrifying, and every aspect was subpar. I won't make that mistake again either!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #17  
I will do this.

I took AA home from England just a week ago and it was HORRIBLE. Just the worst thing ever. I totally agree with you that both take off and landing were so bad and every one was SO RUDE.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, just to play devils advocate, a lot of those guys get paid crap (like a waitress) bc they supposedly get tips. But bc you now have to pay to check a bag, most people aren't tipping anymore. If you check in with a skycap (outside the airport at the curb) it's pretty standard to give a tip. My mom always said around $5 a bag. So I can understand why he said it. Bc the airlines are screwing them over with the fees too. The unions have actually sued over it bc they're losing so much money from people no longer tipping. So he wasn't really being all that rude. Just letting you know that the fee didn't include the tip-bc some people assume it does.
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #19  
Just keep breathing!

I didn't know you were supposed to tip airport check in people. I don't pay hotel check in people, either. If they help with bags and stuff, sure, but otherwise they just type info in to a computer. It seems the same as tipping a grocery store attendant.

I've flown internationally, alone, every three months since I was 10 years old. Even still, I've never had any experience traveling as terrible as flying AA was. Every flight, traveling both directions, it was ****. Plus - did you see the news thing about AA where the FAA was trying to fine them like tons of millions of dollars for flying BROKEN PLANES more than 50 times before docking them for repair?!

However! The good news is - I fly home (on Alaska Airlines) in 25 hours!!!

Last edited by GradPhase; 08-18-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #20  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Yeah Alaska! I'm here right now! I ship stuff to and fro cause I hate airlines and their lack of respect for my personal belongings.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #21  
Just keep breathing!

YAY ALASKA!!!! I <3 Alaska...

How is the price comparison between shipping and paying the new luggage tax?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #22  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I have no idea, never bothered to compare. the only thing that matters to me is that my stuff gets home and its all there. With alaska airlines for some reason they manage to lose entire bags and sometimes just a few items from certain bags....hmmmm...? And they wreck them too, I don't think I've ever managed to keep a suitcase nice thanks to airlines trashing them.
I just ship it all USPS in huge rubbermaid totes all duct taped up (because your not really from alaska unless your stuff has duct tape on it) and take a handcarry with clothes for a few days. My totes always make it...my luggage however...I've lost too much good stuff...
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

You only have to tip the ones that are outside bc they take the bags in for you and put them through the scanner etc. It's like tipping a bell hop for bringing your bag to your room for you. The FAA is trying to fine everyone for THEIR mess up. They forgot to do their checks on planes and are blaming the airlines for not reminding them to do it. Um...isn't it your job to check that that planes are safe for flight and making the minimum saftey requirements?

But yay for going home. I've never been to Alaska but I hear it's beautiful..
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 318/260/180

Height: 6'0

as some one who annuall deals with this

pack you summer clothes and fed ex your winter wardrobe to your dorm

and jet blue is the only way to fly
Smagash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #25  
Just keep breathing!

I live in Alaska - I don't have summer clothes. I just paid 50 dollars and brought my other suitcase. I just didn't see a really legit alternative. But I'm coming to you LIVE from the floor of my dorm room!