Old 08-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/153/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Workout videos are NOT for me.

I don't know what my deal is!

I will start a workout DVD and then as just as quickly as it starts, I give up. What's the point of even starting it when I always just quit? Why do I do that? Just now, I decided to do my mom's Winsor Pilates dvd. They start with the 100s and then go to roll ups. You do 5 roll ups. I did 3, looked at my dog and said, I don't feel like doing this and got up and turned off the DVD. It's only 20 minutes. WHY can't I just finish something. And now I am sitting on the couch again.

I was thinking that I just hate following "choreographed" instructions. I'd rather just move around and have fun than "follow orders". I keep thinking that I should just go swimming at the pool or something. I LOVE tennis but I don't have anyone to play with. I try to play with my husband but he is so ridiculously bad (lol) that I just get frustrated.

What do you do to get in some activity when you can't stand the typical workout videos?
KristanAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #2  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I work out at a gym for cardio using the elliptical, treadmill and recumbent bike. When I do "work out" videos its usually a dance type so I'm learning something along the way. And the dance videos are freakin fun! I also like tei bo or however you spell it.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/132.5/125

Height: 5'4 3/4

i really like the 10 minute solution series. i've had good luck with these dvds because you can customize your workouts from a 10 minutes session all the way to a 50 minute one depending on the time you have.

i wouldn't do pilates or yoga dvds just ebcause for me i'm afraid of doing it with improper form and hurting myself or just not doing the exercise beneficially and wasting time. there are some really crappy dvds out there but there are some really fun ones too.

i look for dvds that have activites i enjoy [belly dancing, salsa, resistance band toning, kickboxing] so i know that even if my form sucks at least i'm getting a sweat on and keeping my abs tight....i love dvds as an alternative to the gym. some days i just can't bring myself to get on a treadmill.

there are some good sights that allow you to preview 30 seconds of a variety of dvds before you purchase them. i always check it out before i buy....the trick si finding a series/instructor that you like and it'll motivate you to get 'er going! you'll get some duds before you find gems, but that's life, eh? hehe

here's the address: www dot collagevideo dot com [apparently i cna't post links yet...haha]

good luck!
BlueParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #4  

Well, there was ONE dvd that I did like: Women's Health Wedding Workout. I had success and saw results with that one. Maybe I'll go back to it. I forgot all about it until now. I've tried all the "good" ones (Billy's Bootcamp, Turbo Jam, Winsor Pilates, etc) and all the shows on FitTV and I seem to dislike them all. I guess my only hope now is the WHWW video.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

You know, I hate working out inside. I love running at the track, biking or rollerblading on the Greenbelt. I also play city league softball. We are on four teams and squeeze in two or three extra games a week. We are always there, but better that than sitting at home staring at my coconut ice cream. I want to get into Pilates once I reach my goal of 135.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #6  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I dont like dvd's and things like that either. Actually I hate working out inside PERIOD! For some reason I just dont like it I love being outside as well on the track walking or whatever else.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

I have a few of the Windsor Pilates DVDs and actually really like them...but I never use them 'cause they're just way too hard for me, lol!! I'm just still so overweight and out of shape that I can't get my body into the proper positions or do as many reps as I should. For sure though once I slim down a bit I'm going to go for them again.

Generally speaking, though, I'm not into the videos. It just doesn't work for me. I spend more time rewinding and trying to catch up with the movements (they go so fast usually!) than actually exercising.
x meowkat x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #8  

Yeah, I can't ever keep up with them because, well, they know all the movements and I don't.

Can someone tell me how in the world you're supposed to START yoga? I tried it on a show on FitTV once, but it seems like all the movements want you facing away from the screen or closing your eyes or something. LOL

I'm pretty sure I'm just clumsy and uncoordinated and that's my main problem. I should probly stick to crunches and squats and running.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 130/130/120

Height: 5'6"

haha i'm the exact same way- i'm way too uncoordinated to follow the moves, and with most dvds i feel like even when they go slow enough to teach the moves i cant remember how to do it once they speed up again... the one dvd i like is the carmen electra strip tease one haha its fun but not the best workout i dont think.. i only do it when my boyfriend isnt home because i look ridiculous.
Karaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #10  
carinna

Yeah, I usually get bored and start using them as coasters on my coffee table. I just posted today to see if anyone had any good suggestions of DVD's that they've had success with. It's in the exercise forum if you want to check it out.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/235/165

Height: 5'3

My sister and i would watch the exercise dvds while eating a bag of chips... now thats bad!

The reason its so hard to get motivated in those is because you *have the choice to stop* ... now try to get away with that at a gym class... lol
i just joined a gym and worked out my schedual to coinside with their classes because i do give up WAY to easily! So 4 days out of the week i'll be working in a class... yay now i wont give up!
Candicewashere is offline   Reply With Quote