Old 08-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default wii & wii fit

I have been contemplating getting a wii for quite some time....
only really so i can get wii fit too....
i am not a hard core gamer....
could easily live without games....
the only quibble i have is whether it will be worth the combined £240....
does anybody else have one?....
is it showing results?....
would you recommend it?....
or should i continue with exercise alone?....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i dont have one myself but ive heard its a lot of fun, which makes it easier to exercise. Having said that, i think its a tad expensive for what you get
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #3  
Little Miss Random

i mite go another month with the DVDs and watching what i eat....
see where i end up then....

lol, i seem really tight fisted, but i work extremely hard for my money....
i spend it even harder!....
Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #4  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

I love my Wii Fit. It's motivating and fun. It's not a hardcore workout, but I do sometimes break a sweat. I have lost some weight from it, which is nice.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #5  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3l5 View Post
i mite go another month with the DVDs and watching what i eat....
see where i end up then....

lol, i seem really tight fisted, but i work extremely hard for my money....
i spend it even harder!....
lol i know how you feel! Plus £240 is a lot, imo. Definately worth thinking about before you spend it. It would take me probably a month and a half to earn that, and thats if i didnt eat during that time!
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot View Post
I love my Wii Fit. It's motivating and fun. It's not a hardcore workout, but I do sometimes break a sweat. I have lost some weight from it, which is nice.
I agree, I love my Wii Fit too. I've been getting better at doing pushups and certain yoga poses, which is awesome lol.
gigantosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #7  
Want 2 be slim & healthy

Location: Im in Spain but Im English, have lived in Spain for 15 years

Height: 5"11

I use mine everyday. I still do my normal exercises but I do Wiifit also. Its great fun and I have lost over 20 pounds since I got it.
kate1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #8  
diosa

I love doing the yoga poses, but I have problems with balancing. I've done yoga on and off for almost 10 years, and my balance is still bad. Maybe if I were consistent with it, it would improve.

kate1970, congrats on your weight loss so far!

Last edited by Robot; 08-08-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default I have one...

and I LOVE it! Wii Fit will kick your @ss if you want it to. You burn quite a bit of calories doing the wii fit exercises, believe it or not. I know for a fact you burn a lot more doing their strength exercises than on the machines at the gym (tension exercises using your own body weight are always the best.) I tossed my gym membership after I got it (I hate going to the stupid gym!) and I love using it in my living room, whenever I want, at whatever time I want.

It grades the intensity of everything you do as well as your technique and form and also greatly improves your balance. All the exercises you would do at the gym are essentially on it, plus it has free run and free step programs which allow you to do a 30 minute jog or 30 minute step exercising while you watch tv on a different channel. I love doing it while i'm watching Chowder or the Simpsons after I get home from work. I bought ankle weights and I use my 5lb The Firm weights to step up the aerobics a bit and add a little weight training. Not to mention, the tabs it keeps on my weight and fitness level are pretty cool. You also set goals for yourself for certain lengths of time to get down to a specific BMI. My goal before Thanksgiving is to lose 19lbs, which will put me at 22%bmi (according to the wii fit stats) which they consider ideal. It's motivating and keeps you on track as you watch your little character get thinner and thinner.

Plus, it's so much fun! Super Hula Hoop is one helluva 10 minute workout, and I read on a page somewhere that if you do 4000 spins (2000 going each direction) on the 10 minute setting you're burning over 300 calories. Whoo! I would have to run on the treadmill for *forever* to get that, and it's not friggin' fun at ALL. >=/
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #10  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

is there a weight limit on the balance board? I'm always scared I'm going to break something...
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #11  
diosa

The weight limit is 330 pounds.

ETA: I just read this from an article.

"...the actual physical structure of the board is able to withstand much greater force equivalent to around 300 kg (660 pounds / 47 stones 2lb)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Balance_Board

Last edited by Robot; 08-08-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #12  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

hmmm...interesting. Thanks for the info! Now I'll go look the price and complain about it being too expensive. LOL!
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #13  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

i love mine....agree with nishkitten, you make the workout as hard as you want. my physical theripest just told me this morning to keep working on it for balance and rebuild the muscle in my injuried ankle. it lets you know if you are doing the yoga correctly, and with that you can't injury yourself.
i don't use it daily, i alternate with other things, i get bored. love the games that come with it. those will work you out also.
chipper
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #14  
Little Miss Random

i dont have a gym membership....
most of my weight has been lost by a £28 exercise bike and 2 DVDs....
so im still wondering....
Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #15  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

Theres definitely less expensive ways to get a workout, but I like my wii fit. I don't know that I'd buy a wii just for that, but if you've got the money and prefer to workout in your living room it might be a nice change from non-interactive exercise on your dvds and bike. I find having the instant feedback from the 'trainer' like "you're shaking a little" when i'm doing one of the yoga positions or "good job, keep it up" "ten more seconds!" when I'm holding myself in the plank position does actually keep me motivated to do well more so than before when I'd do stuff on my own.

I never really would keep track of repetitions or keep an eye on the clock when I would do exercises before, its nice to have the wii fit keep track of everything for you so you can see how long you've worked out, you know how many reps of each exercise you've done, how you've progressed, etc. And it has me doing exercises I wouldn't have thought to do on my own, especially the yoga positions.

I will say, if you get one it really depends on how you want to use it, there are things on the wii fit that won't really do much for you, and there are things that really get your muscles working. its still up to you to make yourself do the harder exercises and not just the balance games. I honestly don't think you'll see any health benefits to swaying side to side making a marble drop in a hole, but doing a bunch of push ups and lunges will definitely help you get/stay in shape.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote