Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Cool Do you crave water? And what is too much?

First let me say, I can't believe that I'm actually having this happen to me.... I never thought that I would be "that girl".

I've been drinking about 135 oz per day for about a week consistently. Well, this past weekend I didn't drink as much like maybe 90 oz per day.

Well today, I've been so thirsty! I'm already at 185.9 oz and it's still only 3:30 pm. First of all I don't know why I'm so thirsty. Second, nothing has changed with my diet not a lot of salt, I'm on no meds. Third, I've heard that there is such thing as drinking too much water. Does anyone know how much that is?

It's like I'm actually craving water.... I never thought that would be possible. Does this happen as you just start drinking only water?
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #2  
I will do this.

I would put some crystal light in your water to kinda give your mouth something to do.

Craving water is amazing. But I would let your own body be the judge of what it too much. If your pee is bright yellow...you need to drink more.....clear and it is probably too much.

I know there are "theories" out saying you can drink too much water...but I really don't believe them. I will be interested to see what others have to say on the subject though.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

Hi there,

I would advise you to see your doctor. To me, having a mom for a nurse, and a doctor for a brother, it sounds like it could be your thyroid. My tom cat is on medication for his throid, and that was a main question the vet asked, "does he drink a lot of water?"

To me, that's a lot of water you're drinking. I know that there are 128oz in a gallon, and you're up a little over a gallon and a half!
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Yes sometimes I also crave water. I routinely drink 3 liters a day which is 96 oz sometimes I'll drink more. Craving water can be a symtoms of diabities and I'm sure other dieases so if you are having excess thirst you might want to get it checked out.

Also there is such a thing as water intoxication. It actually caused someone to die last summer when a radio station had a promotion where they had constestients drink as much water as they could for a nitendo wii. According to wikipedia: It is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by water. If you want to read more here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am a firm believer that peoples bodies will need different amounts of water, and that it is highly individual.

I follow the urine color test - you don't want it to be clear, but you don't want it to be very dark either...just pale, pale yellow. For me, that takes a TON of water. Most people would be in the bathroom every 3 minutes if they drank as much as I do...but I don't have to any more often than others. So your body is YOURS, and if you're craving the water and your urine isn't clear, go ahead and drink.

You CAN drink too much water too quickly (this is called water intoxication), and it can be very dangerous. BUT, outside of certain medications such as those for high blood pressure or other fairly intense circumstances (say, you just ran a marathon and sweated out all of the salt in your body), it is pretty hard to do. Still, be aware of the symptoms and check with your own doctor to see where your water intake might best end up.

Wikipedia - Water Intoxication
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Remember - Great minds!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Lol
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #8  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I sometimes crave water, then again, I am not getting enough, I struggle just to get 16-32 ozs a day. I know it's bad. However being thirsty is a symptom of diabetes, and could be other things, but none that I'm aware of, so a trip to the doc couldn't hurt.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #9  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

I have always determined that the rule should be 1/2 your body weight in ounces is how many ounces of water you should drink a day. I weigh 280 right now so I am drinking about 140 oz a day. I find that if I go a day or two with only drinking around 64 to 100 oz, I feel incredibly thirsty for the rest of the week and wind up drinking about 170 oz for a few days.

There is such a thing as too much water, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are drinking like 300 oz of water a day.
Naytally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/Ticker/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor86 View Post
I would put some crystal light in your water to kinda give your mouth something to do.

Craving water is amazing. But I would let your own body be the judge of what it too much. If your pee is bright yellow...you need to drink more.....clear and it is probably too much.

I know there are "theories" out saying you can drink too much water...but I really don't believe them. I will be interested to see what others have to say on the subject though.
it is a fact and people have died from it ... but 99% of the time you would not push yourself to that limit because you would feel really really bad before it got to that.... its called water intoxication or hyponatremia

around where I live ( what made me aware of it , and trust me I could not belive it ... who would have thought? )

a radio station had a contest for a nintendo game cube ... and the contest was who could drink the most water ... the girl had a faint headache and didn't feel well when she left the radio station but no real red flags.... a couple hours later her sister found her dead in her apartment ...

it was confirmed that she "over dosed" on water .....

there is no amount thats to much water ... its to much water in to short of time period

This happened to me in a milder form when I was pregnant with my second son ... I had drank a 24 oz water over the course of about 20 mins ( on the way to the doctors for my ultrasound) I knew my stomache felt really full ( we had jsut ate dinner) ... but then all of a sudden my head felt really wierd and tight and I made my husband pull over wound up vomiting ALOT... so worried I lost all my water I made my husband stop and get another 16oz .. and drank that one in 10 mins ... my head was messed up for the rest of the night .. ( we were gonna find out the sex in that ultrasound .. so I was determined to be full of fluid )

Quote:
When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

HereWeGoAgain-I would say if you are drinking it throught the course of the day you should not worry .. it is realllllllllly uncommon for the above to happen ( at least in the extreme case)

and your body will let you know when something is up!

Last edited by onesullengurl; 06-30-2008 at 10:36 PM.
onesullengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I would be careful -- water is great, but that seems like *a lot* to me. But of course, everyone is different--I'd feel like I were drowning if I drank that much water, but it might be okay for your system. But just watch not just how much you're drinking, but how fast too.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #12  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeberHowToSmile View Post
Yes sometimes I also crave water. I routinely drink 3 liters a day which is 96 oz sometimes I'll drink more. Craving water can be a symtoms of diabities and I'm sure other dieases so if you are having excess thirst you might want to get it checked out.

Also there is such a thing as water intoxication. It actually caused someone to die last summer when a radio station had a promotion where they had constestients drink as much water as they could for a nitendo wii. According to wikipedia: It is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by water. If you want to read more here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
cant you also drown on it....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naytally View Post
I have always determined that the rule should be 1/2 your body weight in ounces is how many ounces of water you should drink a day.
I do the same thing. I drink an ounce of water for every 2lbs. It may sound too simple, but I think maybe you were so thirsty because you were dehydrated. I know my body is now used to me drinking a certain amount of water each day, and if I don't get at least 3/4 of it in then I feel thirsty.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #14  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

not to take away from the seriousness of the topic -- but when I simply read the subject line I immediatly thought about fat rant 2 by Joy Nash on Youtube.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Ok, so today is much better. I think I must've been dehydrated yesterday. Today I've only had 85 oz so far. Yesterday at this time I was at 140. I'm not thirsty like yesterday. Of course reading all of the comments made me freak out at first. I've never had this happen before and it was only one day so I don't really see a reason to go to the doctor ( don't like going, and don't have one yet, I have to wait for insurance to kick in at the end of July.) I'll try to stick to drinking 1/2 my weight. I've just never actually liked drinking water so I'm a little baffled that I like it now. Strange... but loving how it makes me feel.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote