Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #1  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Angry Do you know anyone who wants to lose weight with no effort?

Do you know anyone who wants to lose weight with no effort? I do!

When I went to drop off my DD at her grandmother's house before coming to work, the grandma was doing elliptical. She looked as if she's been on it for at least 20 minutes and I asked her. She said she was on it for 2 minutes. Then I told her that there is a great workout DVD. (I think I mentioned something about her before... She wants to lose weight with no effort. She bought that 7 Secret or something like that and I told her that it doesn't work. Then she told me -she was being dead serious- she wants to lose weight fast and easy. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! Anyways...) I told her there's a great workout DVD..and I told her about 30-Day Shred by Jillian. What she said kinda ticked me off for some reason... She said "Oh yeah? Then let me know if you get to the size 10 in 30 days." And she wasn't joking or anything like that. And after that 2 minute of "working out" she stopped and said that's it for the day. She lost weight with low-carb diet before, she's now on some kind of pill that helps her with her appetite due to her medical reason. She said she's going back to low-carb because she gained 15 pounds after hysterectomy and she didn't do anything to cause that and it's all hormone. She has always been overweight since I've known her...even in all the pics of her since her kids were born. Maybe she's true about the hormone but then again, she eats out about 3 times a week and most weeks, she eats fast food about 2 times a week if not more. And she doesn't work out. Their veggie for the day is considered a small bag of frozen veggies for the whole family of 4. When she lost the weight last time, she went back to her old life style...but she says it's nothing she did that caused her to gain the weight. I am not sure how much she weighs but she's a very heavy apple type...
I don't know if she has noticed that I've been losing weight or not; at least she hasn't said anything about it. Since I am losing weight, I was trying to help her with workout dvd but the comment she made kinda pissed me off for some reason. People work so hard to lose weight and it sure is not easy. And she makes a comment like that. GRRR... Am I overreacting?

Well, on the way to work, I told myself that I'm not giving her any advice whatsoever about weightloss, and when I'm down to my goal weight, or size 10, like she put, and she asks how I did it... I will just say diligence, healthy eating, working out every day and just be on my happy way. HAHAHA. :P

(yeah.. i just needed to vent, i think... :P Thanks for reading... )

Last edited by taragettingthin; 07-01-2008 at 11:55 PM.
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

I know plenty of people like that. I had a roommate who thought she could lose her extra 20 pounds if she dieted for two weeks. As if.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Why, yes, I do know people like that

Anyone who has EVER asked me how I lost weight!

Honey, that's the nature of our society. Get it quick, get it now. I don't know why you are surprised. I think many of us on this site have looked (or at least glanced) at a quick weight loss scheme. I mean, if you really don't know better it has to be really tempting, right?

And I've certainly been the girl who did 5 minutes of exercise and that was good for the week!

But you know what? If you are having those thoughts, IMHO, you must be doing something right. So keep at it! You can't get anyone to lose weight but yourself! It really is a waste of energy to try. The best you can do is lead by example.

Last edited by junebug41; 07-02-2008 at 12:10 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #4  
I will do this.

I hate late night tv for the same reason. The magic pills, food, work out. THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS. People thinks those things work are NUTS. And it always says in tiny letters *with proper workout and diet!!!!!

You are doing it the right way, girl! And I noticed you down 19 pounds! WOOHOOO
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #5  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Taylor, *With proper workout and diet* I know. Those ads say no swet, so easy, and so on....but of course, you HAVE TO follow their eating program and so on if you want the maximum result. ha.

The simplest and easiest answer to weight loss Calorie IN < Calorie OUT. And gettting toned while doing the calorie out, IMHO, is the best example of catching two birds with one stone. HAHAHA.

junebug, I don't think it was really a surprise. I know I've checked out the quick solution ones myself..I think I was just little bit upset by the comment "If you can get to size 10 in 30 days, then let me know." Kinda made me feel like she was saying "what do YOU know? Talk to me when you lost weight" type of thing... Probably just some non-sense I was feeling but... oh well. Like you said, I will lead by example.

Last edited by taragettingthin; 07-02-2008 at 02:01 AM.
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 AM   #6  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Do you know anyone who wants to lose weight with no effort?
Umm, yes....... ME!!!

I used to often sit on the couch, porking out on junk food (and hating myself for it), and wishing I could be thin and fabulous looking.

But, since that route didn't earn me any positive results, I had to buckle down and actually start to make an effort.

Bummer.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #7  
Flabulous

S/C/G: 230/218/160

Height: 5'9"

Grandmas can be so mean. It's as if when you get older, you lose that part of yourself that requires you to think before you speak. They just tell it like it is, no matter how much it hurts. I'm willing to bet that she has noticed that you've lost weight, and that she is jealous of your success.

It seems like half of the posts from the new members here are about losing weight with little to no long-term effort. "So, if I work out two hours a day and eat 800 calories for two weeks, do you think I can lose 40 pounds?"
LetsWorkItOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

I have had people ask me "oh what are you doing to lose weight????" so I tell them. I keep track of everything that I eat, I eat healthy and I exercise. Then they ALWAYS like roll their eyes because that is NOT what they want to hear!! It just cracks me up... I guess they want me to tell them that I took some magic pill or something. Weight loss is NOT easy OR fast! People are funny...
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #9  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

lol! ME id love to be able to do that....

as it is i work my butt off....
ok i cud do more, but while ive got my steady loss still going ill maintain the same intensity....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #10  
Ms.Day

S/C/G: 281/155/140

Height: 5'5

I know alot of people like that, and dont want to put no effort into reaching there goals
anewme625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #11  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I want to lose weight with no effort. I also want a pony and my very own tropical island. And a monkey who's been trained to write sociology dissertations.

Last edited by UrsusMaritimus; 07-02-2008 at 01:56 PM.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #12  
prepare for the BEST time

I want to lose weight with no effort too! Along with the trust fund I hope to inherit and that 23 million Lotto.

share with grandma your successful weightloss and ask her when she is getting to that size 10?
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

I feel that diet and exercise is just so much more rewarding. No cheating, no surgeries, no help, just plain motivation and perseverance. People don't want to hear that though. They want immediate, fast results, which I'll admit, knowing that this is going to take time is pretty disheartening at moments..but when I look back at how far I've come in a short span of time (I began on 4/17/08 after I was at the doctors and had to get on the scale), I know that I can do this, because I want to, because I have to, and because I can. And the others, well they're just jealous of my progress:-)
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #14  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Lots of over weight people are like that. To a certain degree I use to be like that....LOL talking about losing weight is way easier than actually doing it!!!!! Weight is a very touchy subject I only talk about it when people ask me. Other than that I dont speak about it with folks unless they are trying to lose wieght too.

Keep doing what your doing dont worry about her. She will see in the long run............
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's just not overweight people, and it's not just weight. Fast, convenient, and easy is a part of our culture on many fronts.

And you know, I think you can have easy (well, relatively) but you can't have fast AND easy. I've been overweight since age 5, when I was put on my first diet. It had to be a very low calorie diet, because I remember not even being able to eat as much as my younger brother (age 3) and not just being hungry, but feeling starved, to the point I couldn't sleep at night because I was hungry).

In the early 70's, doctors thought nothing of putting people, even kids on VLCDs. At 14 (around 1980) I weighed 225 lbs and was put on prescription stimulant diet pills. These weren't my choices, but my mother's and doctor's (not that I didn't cooperate, I didn't want to be the freak that I was).

Looking back, none of my early dieting, or even those through my 30's were easy, but they all were intended to be fast. It wasn't just because that was my goal, but because it really was the only goal that seemed acceptable to have. NO ONE talked about gradual or moderate changes/weight loss. It wasn't supposed to be easy, it was supposed to be nearly impossible. So difficult that you were miserable, but the reward was supposed to be fast weight loss.

Problem is no matter how much effort I put in, the weight loss never was fast enough to justify the misery I was enduring. In high school, I remember having a yogurt for breakfast, a bowl of chicken soup for lunch, and a salad for dinner EVERY day (maybe 500 calories) and only on the weekends did I eat anything approaching a normal meal (towards the end, I was eating even less during the week, but even more during the weekend).

This time I am doing it the "easy" way. I started with very small goals. I couldn't exercise at all when I started this (actually I couldn't even stand to take a shower). Not al of the changes I made, resulted in weight loss, but each made a difference in my health and endurance. Although I've only lost about 50 lbs, my life is drastically different than it was three years ago. I can take a long shower (standing) and wash my hair in the shower without pain - when I started, not only did I have to sit, but washing my hair was excrutiating. I had to use a shampoo with a conditioner because I didn't have the strength for rinse, repeat. I had sleep apnea, not anymore. I couldn't sleep more than an about 90 minutes because pain would wake me and I'd have to flip over (now I flip only about every 3 to 5 hours). I can walk even the big stores like Walmart and Sam's without the motorized cart. I can walk, bicycle, and swim for exercise. I can put away heavy bowls in the top cabinet. My asthma has disappeared. Instead of nearly constant respiratory infections, and several bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia every year, it has been at least 6 months since I've even had a very bad cold. My autoimmune disease is in remission. My bloodwork is all going in the right direction.....

And I owe it all to finally choosing to be lazy. I was always trying to prove that wasn't lazy, by doing everything in extremes. Work, school, diets. It was finally deciding to make slow, gradual changes (because I was too stressed physically and emotionally to do anything else) that finally broke the starve/binge diet cycle.

So yes, you can have it easy, but you can't have it fast and easy. There's nothing wrong with the easy way, in fact I think more people would have success if they could learn to take it easy and make gradual changes. When you become comfortable with one small change, add another. It works great, and I highly recommend it, but if you do take the easy way you CAN'T expect quick weight loss. It's NOT going to happen. You can't quit because "everyone else" is losing faster than you are. If you want to lose faster, then you've got to put more work into it, but then it's not going to be easy any more. It is your choice, and each choice is legitimate depending on your individual needs, but you have to know the reality. You can't escape the trade-offs involved in the decision.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote