Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #16  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2jump View Post
DH is hardcore about juicing and has been nagging me since we started dating to drink carrot juice more often with him. Carrot juice DOES make my stomach sick. DH can drink 16oz. of the stuff, but for me, anything more than 6oz makes me take an instant trip to the bathroom.

My stomach simply has a hard time digesting carrot juice. I'm sure if I consistently juiced everyday (like DH wants) over time my stomach would get used to it.

Saying that... I'd go ahead and juice the carrots. You won't know how your body is going to react until you try.
You know, straight up carrot juice has the same effect on me as well, but I don't have trouble when it's mixed with other things.

For me, the calorie count isn't so off the charts that I can't work it in. The health benefits of 100% "homemade", no artificial stuff whatsoever, totally fresh juices are worth the calories to me, much like a salad And in my experience, when I make a lot of juices (usually in the summer), I tend to lose weight.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Thanks for all the info.... I will tonight go home and juice. I will share my experience tomorrow. I went to the store last night and bought some ginger, cucumber, and apples. I've never been this way before. I'm actually having to get up the nerve to do this.... So wierd, I guess all the newness is finally catching up to me. I just moved to CA three months ago from the midwest and really trying to change my lifestyle to get healthy and for some reason I always thought juicing was weird, but now I want to learn.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #18  

OMG! I had a horrible experience with juicing. I used carrots, a lil cucumber and a slice of ginger. Uh no, it was watery and tasted awful. I didn't know what to do to make it taste better so I just threw it out and didn't bother. What did I do wrong? I don't even know if I want to attempt again, should I have put an apple in it?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #19  
Let's do this!

It could've been the quantities. I have never juiced ginger, but I can't imagine you would want to use more than a teensy bit because it's awfully potent. Also, I'm not a fan of plain carrot juice, so when I juice them they are more of a "backup" role. I would start off with an apple or two, a carrot and maybe half a cucumber. Light and sweet.

Last edited by junebug41; 06-13-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Gosh, I'm really starting to feel myself get so passionate about juicing, and I SO want you to like it, Here We Go!! As a matter of fact, I have been juicing almost every day lately, and your post is helping get me back into it.

First, as for the calories, I do think of it the same as a salad. I'm getting myself ready to make a carrot, celery, apple, ginger juice (this will be the first time I've juiced ginger, too, usually I just sprinkle ground ginger in the juice).
I'm so sorry your first experience didn't go well! Maybe it is an acquired taste...as in, you CAN acquire it. I believe that fresh veggie juices are incredibly healthy, and it's worth getting used to. I suggested this before, but maybe getting a book to help guide you along would be useful!

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #21  

Thanks for the encouragement. I was ready to sell the juicer and be like uh no. I will try it again.... I guess practice makes perfect. I'm going to try what junebug suggested and do 2 apples, 1 carrot, and 1/2 cucumber. I may not do the cucumber because I think that's what made it so watery. I still have a big ol bag of carrots so I will try again this weekend. This is a silly question, but can I make orange juice with a juicer too? I know don't laugh, just wondering.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #22  
Let's do this!

OMG orange juice from the juicer is SO good. Even though it sounds weird, I even toss a little apple in with a little lime juice. That's just when I'm craving something sweet, though.

Just don't do what I did once and leave the rind on (that was from the early days). Bad idea. Just bad.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #23  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I've heard of juicing before but never really paid it any mind until yesterday when I was vegging out on the couch watching infomercials and I saw Jack Lalanne's new Power Juicer Pro. I was mesmerized. I admit I frequently get taken in by infomercials. But all the juices looked so good. I am very guilty of not eating enough fruits and vegetables. I am certainly willing to sacrifice eating in favor of drinking my calories, since it will help me get nutrition that I wouldn't otherwise be getting. I just find that I have to force myself to fit them in every day. I'm very tempted to buy it!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #24  

I still haven't had a whole lot of luck with it, but I did have some fresh juiced orange juice and it was the best I've ever had! I bought the oranges at the farmer's market and they were really sweet anyways, but when I juiced it was AMAZING!