Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

Talking taking pride in hard work

I know that weight loss is weight loss. And I do not want to offend anyone at all! But I have a gal at work who has been taking prescription weight loss pill, i think it's called Phentermine and she has lost 40 pounds. Which is absolutely great!! But I just take extra pride in myself because i have lost about 27 pounds now by making a life style change and eating the right way. I know it sounds silly but I am just so proud of myself for losing weight the "all natural way"!

*like I said, I do not want to offend ANYONE who has or is taking diet pills. If that works for you then awesome!!
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I don't know, I never thought about taking diet pills. I think I always just figured that I would gain the weight back the second I stopped taking them. And why lose all that weight if I never learned how to keep it off? Not the most effective weightloss method, you know? Not to metion they can be downright dangerous. Doesn't phentermine cause heart problems?

Last edited by junebug41; 05-22-2008 at 12:59 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #3  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

ive tried weight loss pills before (ephedrine and alli)

they both made me feel awful and taught me NOTHING. sorry if it works for others but i think its the wrong way to do things.

i saw my best friend today and she is very hard to talk to about real stuff.. she makes a joke of it but im worried she isnt eating all day then eating loads at night, she wants to be skinny and could stand to lose maybe 25 pounds max but shes going to the gym with no food for 9-10 hours. she said she gets off on the buzz.. im worried like mad about her but what can ya do?

someday people will realise, it is simple but it aint easy, exercise and eat right.
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I completely agree - people obsess way too much. Hundreds of years ago people weren't obese and thats because they ate healthily and worked off their food through work and excercise. Whats different now? I think there are just more 'excuses' ..

Last edited by Spoz; 05-22-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #5  
Stepping Up

spoz did u watch that supersize programme about the war on the other night on bbc3?

if not, watch it on the iplayer cos it was outstanding.

interesting about rationing during the war and sue perkins and some other chap do a week of rationing and war activites to see what happened.

they were eating a strange diet BUT both lost weight, both got healthier blood work and BOTH could run 12% longer than the previous week...

well worth a watch, even if any americans fancy it, its online to watch on bbc iplayer
Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #6  
«Heidi»

S/C/G: 255/222.1/155

Height: 5'6

Aww, I just tried to watch it. No luck. It says it's only available to play in the UK. Clicking on the "why" button tells me that they're working on an international version. =/

I was looking forward to it.
I bet once I get home from work a little bit of googling will find it somewhere else though! =]
toesocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #7  
Stepping Up

i bet it will!! what a shame it doesnt work for us people.. that sucks!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #8  
Changing for the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogora View Post
I know that weight loss is weight loss. And I do not want to offend anyone at all! But I have a gal at work who has been taking prescription weight loss pill, i think it's called Phentermine and she has lost 40 pounds. Which is absolutely great!! But I just take extra pride in myself because i have lost about 27 pounds now by making a life style change and eating the right way. I know it sounds silly but I am just so proud of myself for losing weight the "all natural way"!
It's good that she is losing weight, but you know what? She can't take those pills forever, unless she plans on putting her life in danger. One day she will probably realize she has reached her target weight, stop taking the pills, and......then what? Sure, she might be able to keep it off, but the odds are that she will have to deal with a body she doesn't know how to maintain. I wish the best for her, but personally I would not choose that method of losing weight. You should definitely be proud of yourself - committing time and energy to exercising and eating right takes more effort (in my opinion) than popping a pill every day. It's not that I think she's completely lazy or anything, it's just that you never know how these substances will affect your body - working out is safer than ingesting who-knows-what.
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 336.4/336.4/145

Height: 5'7

Well truth be told, I've gone the diet pill route before for a grand total of 2 months. I was like 17 at the time.. and I got so incredibly sick. I was shaking, nauseated all of the time, would throw up, had headaches constantly.. I felt terrible. I stopped taking them and obviously all the weight came back and more. They're terrible for you..and they're certainly not "healthy". Just because you lose weight, doesn't mean you're healthy...

I don't knock anyone for losing weight. Because it's a very hard battle any way you do it. But to really benefit from it, body and mind, you need to give to get. You need to work hard, eat healthy, exercise and mentally learn self-control and realize you have willpower. Diet pills are just a temporary fix. They don't train the brain on food, or exercise or what your body needs.

Just my .02

HardCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #10  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

i think that if you work at it you will feel better about yourself because it is something that you accomplished through hard work and determination. i agree that is something to be proud of. like a lot have said with the diet pill nothing will be learned. i feel that in some cases it is the easy way out.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote