Old 05-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  
Kristen Denece

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'4

Default muscle VS. Fat

I just want to start of by saying this websight rocks, and although i dont post much im on here everyday reading everyone elses . everyone is such a great motivation here. so Im down about 30 lbs since i started my weight loss journey a little while ago woohoo, but i just want to say scales suck i hate them and it totally sucks that muscle weighs more then fat because guess what the scale went up today! I just did a 5 k yesterday and I havent cheated on my diet oh wait ok maybe once hahaha and i work out 6 days a week, cardio and light weights so i know im not putting on fat. Ne ways what im getting at is Does anyone else ever get down on themselves even though you KNOW your not gaining fat? or am i just being totally melodramatic... haha probably ne way keep up the good work girls!
KristenFlynn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/250/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't even own a scale! I'm too worried I'd be obssesive about it. So I only get weighed when I go to the doctor's office. We have one at my gym, but so far I've been good about avoiding it.
rockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat! Thing of a pound of feathers and a pound of lead - they weigh the same but sure look different. A pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat because muscle is more dense. Therefore you can look smaller as you diet and exercise but still weigh the same.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

The scale goes up for all sorts of various reasons... and if we're doing everything right, it will eventually follow suit and go down.

It is disappointing to see the scale be all wishy-washy when we're doing good things for ourselves. Even the TOM gain is annoying, and frustrating, and we know the reason it's there.

When we have a gain, and we don't know the reason.. even more frustrating. But, we do the only thing we can. Continue on!

Congratulations on the weight you've lost so far! Keep going forward. Stay on track, the gain will disappear
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Kristin - I definitely do! Logically I know I am not fat but sometimes when I step on that scale and see it go up to 64kgs (140 pounds) I get a little down.

However I do know that I have a lot of muscle tone and for my weight am fairly slim (25" waist, 37" hips) and can pull off a size 4-6 US.

I now avoid the scale as much as possible and when I AM using it I am recording the body fat % function it has. At this stage its probably a better measurement for me.

I recommend your tape measure and clothes fit to guage your weightloss - rather than what a scale tells you, its less likely to mess with your headspace lol.

Congrats on the achievement btw!

Last edited by Lyria; 05-18-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #6  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

I totally agere with Lyria. I see some people who weigh the same and have same height, but wear different sizes. I had 2 friends in highschool who were same height of 5'7" and same weight of 140. One was very athletic and used to wear size 6 or so. The other one didn't play any sports at all. She wore size 12.
Although scale does affect me, I think of how many inches I have lost so far, and how clothes fit me better...and hope it will be too lose soon. So get a tape measure if you don't have one already and try to measure yourself and that should show progress for sure! =)
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

You know, the gain is most likely water. After an intense workout, like a 5k, your muscles will retain water to aid in repairing themselves. This is one reason "they" recommend having a rest day between intense workouts to help your muscles heal.
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote