calcium...

• So, I've been looking at my fitday nutrition tracker and realized that I'm not really getting any where near enough calcium in my diet. I'm not a huge milk fan, so do you guys have any suggestions of foods high in calcium?
  • This might be good for you to look at...

http://www.webmd.com/content/tools/1...dairy_free.htm
  • Yoghurt!

I would live on yoghurt if I could lol.
  • ~yogurt
    ~canned fish: tuna, salmon, sardines (with the bones is better)
    ~fortified juice (grapefruit is lower in cals then orange)

If you bake at all you can add dry milk to recipes to up the protein/calcium amount.
  • I hate milk..so I feel ya on that I eat a ton of yogurt...they have such good yummy flavors now too I also make WW smoothies a lot, and they count as one serving of milk (and if I mix them with yogurt, I have both of them for the day!) I hear Laughing Cow cheese is good, I'm not sure if it's a full serving of milk, but it should be at least 1/2! Hope this helps!
  • I just read an article about a study that had to groups on the same diet but one group eat 3 servings of yogurt a day and lost more weight. I can't remember the exact % but it was pretty good. They think it was a combination of the calcium which helps with the metabolizing of body fat and the cultures that help digestion (any yogurt not just the pro-biotic ones).

I've started using 6 oz. of light yogurt instead of milk on my cereal, in smoothies, parfaits, and just as snacks.
  • Ya know, I really need to look at my own calcium intake, I don't drink milk very often, I suppose the only dairy that finds its way into my diet regularly is cheese, and even that is probably not a big serving. I did see that there is a fiber one yogurt in the grocery store the other day, I think I might have to look into adding that into my diet. I heart fiber one
  • I don't know if you're trying to avoid supplements for some reason, but there are thousands of calcium supplements, they're almost all chewables and some are really good! I know some people rave about the viactiv chews, which are chocolate. I'm a vegan so i can't have those ones since they contain milk products, but i get mine at GNC in the cherry flavor...they were really cheap for like a ton of them.
  • egg shells.

I'm not high.

I blend them up in smoothies! I call it the barf smoothie. my dogs are Bones And Raw Food dogs B.A.R.F. and my smoothie looks like their food gross I know

anyway its a combo of all the things I hate in smoothie form. It's Kelp, bee pollen, egg shells, spinach, apple pieces (cores, skin) psylum (sp) husks for fibre, whatever other vegi I don't feel like eating, ice, yogurt all that. Its a healthy mess in a glass. It's not to bad either! sometimes I put in a grape sugar free popcycle ummummm delicioso. Just remember which blender is yours and which is dog food. There is a fine line, but it is still a line. Nothing like a swig of blended chicken organs to ruin a morning!
  • Blended chicken organs? I don't know wether to puke or laugh...

Or perhaps I will try a combination of both but that could be messy.
  • Quote: egg shells.
    I sure hope you wash and dry them well (or have a fresh local free range source.) I'd hate to end up with salmonella from a smoothie.
  • Quote: Nothing like a swig of blended chicken organs to ruin a morning!
    I think I'll stick with Viactiv chews
  • Quote: I sure hope you wash and dry them well (or have a fresh local free range source.) I'd hate to end up with salmonella from a smoothie.
    well, I rub them off on my pants. my eggs were freshly laid by my moms chickens. I do concur with the salmonella... never even thought about that. Duh.
  • thanks everyone for the great ideas! i actually just went out and bought some of your suggestions including the viactivs.

and kriket, my jaw literally dropped when i read your smoothie idea...that is super creative! buuuuuut since i'm not a huge smoothie person to begin with, you'll just have to drink one for me