3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Unhealthy friendship = new motivation (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/140118-unhealthy-friendship-%3D-new-motivation.html)

utgirl09 04-17-2008 08:24 PM

Spinning Class

I am thinking of starting a spinning class. My gym just started offering it last week and I do not know much about it. Is it a fun class? I know it will be challenging. Any thoughts on spinning classes?

Rayelle 04-18-2008 02:58 AM

I haven't ever taken one but one of my friends has. She said that your behind really hurts afterwards (as to be expected) but that it is 'kind of' fun and that it really gets your weightloss going. Sorry I'm not much help, good luck!

rockstar87 04-18-2008 11:12 AM

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE spinning. I hurt my knee one week and I didn't want to try running on it, so I took a class and it was great. The first couple of times definitely hurt in terms of your position on the seat. (My friend took it with me and equated it to feeling like she just had sex all night :o Haha.) After a couple of classes though, you get used to it. Make sure you stretch out everything really well as soon as you're done and try to keep moving for a little while afterwards so the muscles don't get too tight.

Once you get past the pain of it all, I think it's a great class. You get a great calorie burn (probably the second best form of cardio you could do for that, in my opinion). I like it because the instructor tells me what to do, I just go with the flow instead of planning out my workout myself. I've tried a bunch of different instructors so I've founds ones that play music I like, and after every muscle in my body stopped aching I really started to enjoy it. I now spin twice a week :).

Fressca 04-18-2008 11:39 AM

I agree with rockstar! I joined the gym in January, more than a little intimidated by the idea of cardio after not doing any for years... I have an elliptical and a treadmill at home, but boredom with both meant I never used them. I was a bit scared to try spinning, to be honest, but after my very first class, I was hooked! Some instructors are better than others (I think it depends a lot on the music they choose), but I never fail to sweat buckets and feel like I get a great workout. Your bum will be sore for the first few times (hard seat!), but that goes away. And you can go at your own pace... less tension, sit instead of stand, etc. etc. I never thought I'd say anything like this about cardio, but I love spinning. I even complained when my gym cancelled the Friday morning class! Give it a try and tell us how you liked it.

bethbeth 04-18-2008 11:51 AM

It is a fun class! You should totally try it! If it's not for you, you don't have to go again! But you should definately try out the different classes in your gym. You might be surprized at what you like and don't like.
I usually go to step arobics every week, but I went to my first spinning class last week. It was really fun, and a great workout. The only downside was that my butt hurt really bad for the next 2 days!
But give it a try! Don't be shy!
Beth

CandyKisses0204 04-19-2008 09:57 AM

its a great calorie burning/ sweat your *** off class. if i skip a few weeks though it kinda takes a while to get over the * OMG someone just hit me in the crotch with a baseball bat feeling* but its still great

utgirl09 04-19-2008 11:34 PM

Thanks for your input! I tried the class this morning and I am feeling it! But it was really fun. I really hope to make it a regualar class. Since it is so new to my gym, there are only 15 bikes right now, and it is highly competitive to get in. They are offer it 10 times a week, so if I don't make it in to the class next time, I will just go to the other class offered at the same time, which is a BodyPump class. Either one will really work me, so I am excited to get into more classes!

rockstar87 04-20-2008 12:10 AM

Yeah, I love the aspect of having an instructor for spinning. That's probably my favorite part. You may be in severe pain tomorrow (I tried my first class at 7am and then took a nap in the afternoon and could barely move :D) but tough it out. It's totally worth it! I promise.

LittleBigGirl 04-21-2008 03:16 AM

I just tried a spinning class for the first time last Monday. I liked it but unfortunately my knee did not . :cry: I've dislocated it 3 times since I was 8 and there's a lot of scar tissue that makes it get stiff if it can't fully straiten out regularly. It's also why I can't use an elliptical very often :(. It swelled the next day so I wont be going back. I'll have to stick to swimming, walking, and kick-boxing.

Lyria 04-21-2008 06:33 AM

I love spinning as well :)

Unfortunately (...or fortunately ? ) my instructor knows me by name by now and also knows I wear a heart rate monitor so every few songs I'll get;

"Olivia! This is your 3 minutes - GET THAT HEART RATE UP 20 BEATS!"

Yes...I die.

I've been spinning for Oooo....about a year now and it's absolutely fanTASTic for your butt and thighs...and also your abs surprisingly. It's also awesome for improving your lung capacity and heart rate recovery.

I was always a runner but when I started spin as well I noticed a dramatic improvement in my stamina on the road. It's great :) Highly recommend

**LittleBigGirl - in spin your leg shouldn't be fully straighened out as there should always be a slight bend or yes, you'll do your knees in...even without a pre-existing condition. If the setting is correct your leg should be slightly bent when your foot is fully at the bottom of the bike. Even when climbing it remains in the slightly bent state.

I used to get really sore knees from it as well until my instructor corrected my settings and then bam - not so much as a twinge!

rockstar87 04-21-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyria (Post 2160522)
I love spinning as well :)

I used to get really sore knees from it as well until my instructor corrected my settings and then bam - not so much as a twinge!

Okay that's totally my problem! Hahaha. My knees feel stiff most days after I go spinning! It's crazy. I've asked one of the instructors and she thinks I should see the sports medicine doctor on campus, but I really just thought something was wrong with my seat position!

It's just so random because I do sprints on the treadmill and plyometric training and never feel a thing but when I spin, they hurt for days. Any tips? :D

MCheyenne6 04-21-2008 10:48 AM

I feel dumb guys.... what is a spinning class? And yes...I have been living under a rock.

I have honestly never heard of it. I have asked a few of my friends, but no one knows what I'm talking about, lol!!

rockstar87 04-22-2008 07:28 PM

Hahah. Really? No one knows what you're talking about?

Spinning is cycling. It's a class where you alter the resistance and cadence (speed) on your bike as the teacher instructs you. You do drills so sometimes it's a "hill climb", sometimes you're doing sprints...etc. They play music too so some of the drills can be based on the beat of the song. It's usually a pretty killer workout.

utgirl09 04-22-2008 10:03 PM

I have taken 2 classes now, and Wow, I didn't know what a workout was until I started the class. I am so sore from it, but I can feel it working me, that is for sure. I thought a step class was pretty intense, but after spinning I feel tired yet REJUVANATED! I am glad I started!

sxulcmnky 04-23-2008 02:48 PM

you guys have convinced me to try a spinning class at my gym

*wanders off to look at schedule on the website*