Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Default Why no loss?

I have been losing about a pound a week, I was doing about 1200 cals but have since upped it so about 1400. I walk my dog 5 days/week for 30 minutes, as well as 30-45min on elliptical and weights 4 days/week. Last week I had a 1lb loss but I slacked a little on the workouts. I only walked my dog twice and got only 2 full and one half workout in. This weekend I had pizza for my "off" meal. I have done that before with no problems. Anyway, I was at 201 last week, I got on the scale two days ago and I was up to 203. Yesterday and today I was at 202. Tomorrow is my official weigh in so I am hoping to be at least back down to 201, but I'd rather be 200. I KNOW there is no way I ate that many calories and didn't burn them. I spent the weekend being very busy and cleaning out a barn and all sorts of stuff. I've been dieting/working out for almost 2 1/2 months, I just hope I don't hit my first plateau so soon! I know one week is not a plateau, I just don't want to to turn into one! I'm paranoid.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Take a deep breath. In the short span of a week, you can do everything right and still not lose, or even see a gain on the scale. One week's results not only doesn't make a plateau, it's very possible that a temporary water weight gain (not always related to TOM, but many other variables too) is masking a fat loss. Your metabolism can play tricks on you too, and you just have to deal with it, by thinking in the long term. One week is a speck of time in the scheme of things, and if you've not lost after three or more weeks then you can start thinking about what you might try to change.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #3  

Thanks for that... I really upped my water intake yesterday and today because I think that may be a small part of it. I know I just need to calm down and make sure to stay on track.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

Hey just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I got into Onederland last Tuesday and then just like magic I stopped losing and haven't lost a thing since then. I haven't done anything different either. I'm just hanging in there to see what happens...giving it more time. Stick with it, sounds like you have a really solid plan. I know it's pretty frustrating though!!
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #5  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Are you taking your measurements every week? Scales are evil and they lie, you can lose inches and not lose weight. Even so, if you did hit a plateau just shake stuff up for the next couple weeks. Switch up your exercise routine and diet a bit, surprise your body, you'll get through it in the end. Keep at it! Good Luck!!!
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #6  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I freak out if the scale goes 0.5lb in the wrong direction so I definitely get the panic...lol. That's the problem with weighing yourself more than once a week. I do so at the expense of my sanity.

That being said, remember the pizza probably had a lot of salt in it. You're retaining water. Drink water and get back on schedule (which I'm sure you already have) and you'll be back to where you were (or better) soon enough.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #7  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Griffogrubb. Scales can go up and down even depending on time of day..so don't worry too much about scales. If inches are going down, the numbers on the scale will go down one day too. Good luck! =)
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Yep, what everyone else said.

Regardless of what the scale says, you're doing good things.

Just keep on going!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

Height: 5'2"

What everyone else said
Weight definitely bounces all over (that's why I get on once a week). You can have a perfectly on-plan week (with both foods and exercise) and not lose. It sucks, but happens. You're doing the "right" things, so just keep doing that.. and the scales will reflect it eventually!
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #10  

I don't measure myself because it's very difficult to measure the EXACT same place each time. I ALWAYS weigh myself after I walk the dog in the morning, before I eat anything, right before I get in the shower. I use to weigh every day, then I switched to once a week but last week I cheated and weighed a bunch of times. Today was my official weigh in and I was back down to 201, so I WILL NOT NOT NOT weight myself again until next Thursday and hope it goes down a pound by then. I have been on plan with eating and working out all week, so I'll hope for the best.

Last edited by peachcake; 04-10-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on getting back down to 201. Small gains like that are nearly always temporary and only not temporary if you let it throw you off.

As for measurements, I think when you're at the other end of this journey you might wish you had taken them. They're just another metric to be proud of. However, I don't recommend measuring every week, because of those very reasons you mentioned - it's difficult to find the exact spot every time, and often the week-to-week losses are small enough that they're difficult to read. A tip for finding the same spots month after month: Create your own reference sheet. Find markers on your body - freckles are particularly good for this and things like elbows and belly buttons work too. Measure the distance from your marker to where you want to measure, then write down how you found that spot and you'll always know where to go.

So for me, I measure my waist (and have lost 4" there so far, I am happy to say). This is what I have written down: 1" above the belly button, standing tall, stomach comfortably sucked in. That way I know where to measure and I have a reminder of the condition my posture should be in to mimic each time. Same goes with R thigh, R upper arm, bust, and hips. I have something written down for each to refer to so I know where to measure. I do this once a month and I *love* seeing the progress!

Not that you asked for all that but thought I'd share
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote