Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Default My first 5k!

Yay! This is the first time I've felt like I earned a dancing carrot, so here it is: !

A big NSV for me today, I completed my very first 5k today as part of the Cherry Blossom run in DC. Originally I had signed up to do 10 miles, but going from inactive to 10 miles was way too ambitious for how long I had to train. I think because I had wanted to do so much more, I went into it feeling like it wasn't going to be a big accomplishment -- but boy! There were plenty of people who had clearly balked at the prospect of running 10 miles (I had switched a long time ago, so I had the 5k white tag, but there were others wearing the colored 10 mile tags running in the 5k). After that, I didn't feel like a quitter anymore, and I started getting pumped for the race. If any of you all enjoy jogging but usually go on your own or on a treadmill, you may want to try doing a big event sometime, it's really different to be running along in a big mass of people. I definitely would have started walking if I hadn't seen other people stick with it. And it was a great motivating tool along the way, cause I had a specific event to prepare for.

Anyway, it was really fun despite being rainy and gray and a more challenging run than I expected, and I'm looking forward to getting my very modest times. It's really great to go from not being able to do the mile jogs in middle school to crossing the 3-mile finish line! Plus everyone was so friendly and supportive. My only gripe is that the t-shirts everyone got say 10 miles whether you did the 10 miles or the 5k -- I'd much rather show off what I actually did haha. But perhaps next year or so I'll have gotten to that point and I can earn it retrospectively. =)

I didn't do the couch to 5k plan specifically, but I based my workouts on the same idea (jog a bit, slow and recover a bit, repeat).
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

Congrats!! That's a great accomplishment, I doubt I could even do 1K, haha.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations!

I'm doing C25K right now - in week 5. I'm shooting to run my first 5K in July. I'm really excited about it and your post has me even more pumped!

You deserve more dancing carrots!
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

Height: 5'2"

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Congrats!

I am thinking about doing a 5K in June... But I have been nervous about actually signing up! Thank you for the inspiration!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
Congrats!

I am thinking about doing a 5K in June... But I have been nervous about actually signing up! Thank you for the inspiration!!
Yay! It really is a great way to motivate yourself to stick with your training. It was also nice that the 5k I was doing was a run/walk, so there was a healthy mix of participants, all ages and sizes. Some people walked the whole thing, some jogged and then slowed down, other people sprinted the entire 3.1 miles in 15 minutes or so (by they were far ahead of the rest of the pack).

I don't know if you train outside or on a treadmill, but definitely make sure you test out your outfit before you run... I usually run on a treadmill, so I don't have any stuff with me. On race day I wanted to bring a water bottle and my ID/money/keys, so I put them in a fanny pack, and it was bothering me the whole time
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

Hey congratulations!!! Ah you are going to be so fit by reunions! A friend (from sdn) and i are just starting to train for a 5k now. If you are running any more in the next few months before school starts, let me know! I'm only like a two hour drive from you and i'd love someone to run with and push me.
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote