Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/240/160

Height: 5'3''

Default my world is falling... up?

okay, so... i am posting mainly because I am new to this site, and am looking for help to get started. i ask you to keep in mind that any issues i may address are not excuses, but the issues/problems i encounter, and am looking for advice to help me over come.

1-I am a waitress, at TGIFRIDAYS. temptation isn't the worst of my worries, its more about the fact that i work insane hours and find myself munching on french fries to survive over the course of a twelve hour shift (i probably eat about 35 actual fries during this period,) and i make a point to drink LOTS of water (with a squeeze of lemon or orange and a splenda,) but very often have a couple cups of coffee.

2- when i get home from work, often about 12am, i get comfortable, eat some popcorn, or something easy, have a cup of REAL coffee, do schoolwork, hang out with the husband (sometimes do the husband/wife thing... but usually before going to sleep,) shower, and get to bed. I have about 2 hours between work and retirement each night, and am generally exausted.

3- in the morning before work, i will generally eat an egg sandwich, have some yogurt, or if there is NO TIME because I slept in, i will grab a slimfast just so I havesome form of sustainence/caloric intake (i will get dizzy at work otherwise... working with food doesnt mean i can eat at anytime, or at all sometimes)

4-going with the idea that i dont have work at 11am, i will wake up, eat something, do school work, a little bit of exersize with a pilates ball, run whateer errands i have that day, clean the house a bit, annnnnd off to work!

5-if its a day off, i will wake up when i feel like it, eat some eggs (i love eggs, but so you know, its generally egg whites... unless im not thinking or just being lazy, then its the whole egg, sadly.) do school work, run errands, workout for about an hour, budget, blog, whatnot. i will actually eat three meals, sometimes more, but as would be reccomended, i can be fairly healthconcious when dieting, or moreso as a lifestyle. (i know, it doesnt sound much like it compared to you, but compared to what i was like three years ago, you would be impressed with the improvem,ent!)

other issues,
i need to know what sorts of fiber-rich (affordable) foods are out there, because i feel like that would help me a lot.

which leads me tooo-----
im broke. very, very broke.

please and thank you to any suggestions. like i said, these are not excuses, i am being honest to find out HOW to improve (and go about it.)

<33

joanit
JoaniT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/175.5/160

Height: 5.5

It sounds like you are a busy busy lady! I can certainly relate to the being poor part... unfortuneately Why does it seem that healthy food is so expensive? argh!

Here are some things that may help....
Try taking carrots to work with you -my grocery store always seems to have bags of baby carrots for like $2.. if they are more expensive for you then maybe pick a veggie that is cheaper at your grocery store.. they are small & you can keep them in a bag in your apron or purse or whatever you can access easily while working.. much better than the fries..
Also whenever there are special k bars on sale I buy them, so they aren't too bad.. they care great for on the go & only 90 calories.
Hope that one of those will maybe work for ya somewhat
LovemyPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #3  

Fiber 1 cereal is also really good (as breakfast, a meal, a snack, dessert). It's sooo filling and only 60 calories for 1/2 a cup
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

This might take a little time on one of your days off, but I think with your very, very busy schedule that you could benefit from it.

Make yourself an enormous bowl of veggie soup. (Maybe not gigundo, but you know what I mean.) Put it into some serving size containers into your fridge. When you get home from work on those late nights the only thing you'll have to do is pop one of the containers into the microwave! Warm, delicious filling low-cal soup!

I'm not sure how the restaurant business works from the waiter/waitress end. Is there any way to keep a baggie of some fruit or vegetables around that you'd be able to snack on when you can? Or something like the fiber one cereal?

Either way, I hope you find some ways to make eating healthier easier.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #5  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

Your schedule sounds very hectic! We're on a tight budget too and with a toddler cooking on weekdays is nearly impossible. I do the bulk of the cooking on weekends for quick meals throughout the week. I buy meats in bulk when they are on sale and I also cook them in bulk, portion them and freeze them. I also make beans from scratch in bulk again as they are very cheap, nutritious and full of fiber. I boil them plain with no salt and then add them to dishes as necessary. Another go to food is oat bran not oatmeal. This cooks really quickly almost like instant oatmeal, but has more fiber in it. Also I bake all kinds of muffins (bran but different flavors like apple, banana) on weekends too and then freeze them. Cooking on a budget is really really difficult but pretty fulfilling. Watch for sales and load up when your favorites are on sale. Also for the quick breakfast, you might even make your own protein shakes for on the go. They have containers where you put the liquid in (water, juice or milk) and then the protein powder and just shake to mix. I find this cheaper than slim fast. Also, I buy baked goods from the reduced sale rack. They often have light breads and other diet goodies there for a fraction of the price.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I used to keep a baggie of granola or nuts or something in my apron to munch wherever I could find a hiding place (in the last place I worked, the chef wouldn't let us eat any food that wasn't his while in the kitchen, so I disgusted myself and hoovered almonds in the bathroom). I totally sympathize with the difficulty of the restaurant schedule, it was a huge challenge for me when I had it.
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/240/160

Height: 5'3''

im really not a fan of the special k bars... however, the carrot idea is a great one, thanks! =) these are all fantastic (and simple) ideas that are by all means plausible options. i wll be messing with a bit of them starting next week, once i grocery shop (probly gonna pick up some fiber one and baby carrots tonight tho. thank you sooo much :-)

Last edited by JoaniT; 03-13-2008 at 09:39 PM.
JoaniT is offline   Reply With Quote