Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #1  

Default For All of Us In College

So, this is kind of a general question about being away at a college. I go to school away from home and I live in an apartment with 3 other girls. I get really busy with work and school and being invovled and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for staying on track while away at college? This past semester I found myself SO busy that I really did not make time to work out at all. Plus, when everyone else is always going out to eat it's hard not to do the same. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks so much,
Emily
Emdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'6

Don't go to college.

ha just kidding!

I go to college too and it is unbelievably hard. Especially now because I have a kitchen in my apartment. My friends are ALWAYS snacking and eating like theres no tomorrow.

I don't work out when I'm at school just because I'm always so busy and somewhat lazy. I haven't been very good this semester when it came to food, whenever we drank I would eat a LOT when I got back and I was just really bad. I think what you have to do is just ask yourself if your serious about this, and really just get it into your head that you want to lose weight. I think the thing that helps the most is to create a meal plan that is satisfying and easy to do so you won't get caught up in what everyone else is doing. If you're satisfied and full and you tell yourself you're full then I feel like you're less likely to eat more. Give yourself 200-300 free calories to live life with.. like say your friends want to go get a bite to eat. But you still have to be smart about what you order. And don't eat the school food! Unless its salad or soup.. anything they cook is drenched in fat. You just really ahve to put your mind to it.
ILoveLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm in college as well (with a part-time job and also preparing for a national competitive exam), and the only solution I've found so far is the same as the one I had to apply to juggle between these three activities: "just do it". Seriously. As soon as I start wondering when to squeeze in exercise, I don't have time, other people eat out, etc., it all goes down to ****. I had to put myself in auto-pilot mode for all those things. But it has positive rewards. If I exercise and eat well, I sleep better, therefore I also work better and faster -- it's probably time that is better used than on spending one hour eating out or something. (No kidding, when my eating goes to **** and I don't move enough, I suffer from insomnias and my sleep is baaaad.) Well, I admit I don't have that much of a social life either, but that's what you get here when preparing for a competitive exam, if you want to pass, so working out/cooking or not, it wouldn't have changed much.

One thing that worked well for me was to put down my exercise time, among other things, in my timetable, black on white on a sheet of paper on the wall. After all, I had to make room for working hours, classes and studying hours; adding a few more slots made it seem more like it was "something I do because it's what needs to be done, period". And it works. I've never been so consistent before.

I found it easier with a kitchen on hand, though. It lets you cook what you want, in the way you want. At the cafeteria, pasta is always way too limp, you don't know what's in the sauce that goes with the meat, nor how much dressing there's on the salad... It was harder when all I had was an electric hot plate and a lavatory to wash my dishes in. -_-
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #4  

Thanks Kery,
you're right. i'm also going to be preparing for a competitive exam. and, i think just doing it is best.
what kinds of things do you cook?
i'm definitely going to try writing it in my planner.
thanks again :]
Emdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #5  

Cooking your own meals is definitely a good idea, not only do you KNOW what you are putting in your body and saving a whole lot of calories compared to eating out, you're saving money also (very important for a college girl!) However, seeing as your so busy I would suggest that you make a large low-fat, low-cal dish that will keep in the freezer so you can reheat for more lunch and dinners.

Also, even though your very busy try to eat more than just twice a day. This is a mistake I made in college, I would study/work/go to class and then just eat a huge meal at 6:00 and that it. VERY bad for the metabolism. Carry filling snacks with you like protein shakes and bananas and hummus and veggies wraps.
manchuntd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I work in a college - so not exactly the same.

1 - ask your instructors if they mind if you snack in class. I think as long as the food isn't overly noisly (crinkly bags etc) they probably won't have a problem with it. You could also go to a doctor and have them write a note for you saying that you need food throughout the day (not exactly a lie, but most Dr's will understand).
2 - Do you live on campus? If not, walking to and from (or at least part way) daily can help you get in some exercise (that is what I was doing for quite a while... 4 km total per day until it got too darned cold).
- Too cold to walk, invest in some workout videos
3 - Is there a gym? Being a student, can you get discounts? Try to get in at least 30 minutes a few times a week (better than none at all).
4 - Take breaks in between studying. Sitting for long periods of time will tire you out while studying. Take a 20 minute break, wear an MP3 and go for a quick walk. It will help clear your mind, and you'll reatain more during study.
5- Cutting back on caffine can help as well - replace it with fresh fruits. There was a study saying an apple gives you as much energy as 1 cup of coffee.
6 - stay away from Campus foods if possible, even though the food may look healthy - they try to save money on getting cheaper foods (e.g. Chicken wraps are usually made with the processed chicken, lots of fat, not much protein - you can buy all white meat precooked chicken strips, veggies and tortillas for almost the same price as 1 single meal on campus... this can last you up to a week. You can also freeze the tortillas and chicken and take out what you need when you need).

Last edited by tamaralynn; 12-28-2007 at 12:31 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #7  

I go crazy, I was doing better when I lived on my own. it's funny when I was in the dorms I gained 50 lbs. Now I don't completely blame living in the dorms. But it's hard to eat healthy when healthy needs to be cooked. now my cafe has gone green and the entire university had started to concentrate on healthy living. The dorms are being built with kitchens in them so if we choose to cook we can. The cafe is now having a area for salads, and low fat foods. The school is being redesigned as a walk only campus much like UT.
Now I'm an R.A. and it's my job to set an example for other students on how to live in the dorms. It's a little scary, I've made the decision that I should not only help students follow the rules, but also, live healthy while doing it. Is that crazy?
wannabequeenbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #8  
worth the weight

S/C/G: 187/178/130

Height: 5'1

College is hard! The best part about it is that you are surrounded by other people, someone around will want to eat healthier or work out. Find a buddy. It is so much easier to stay on track if you have a little accountability!
velsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I'm in law school, and it's freakin' tough. This past semester all I did was eat eat eat and NOT work out. I'm going to use that just do it motto as well this upcoming semester!
BLLgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #10  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Living off campus has been a God send. That sodexho food (and that's pretty much what it is no matter where you go) is awful! The first few weeks of my freshman year I couldn't eat it without throwing it up, and if I tried again I'd probably have the same result.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #11  
I hate chub-rub!

Height: 5'6"

I am so glad Emdoodles started this topic, bc this past semester has been **** on me. I worked full time, completed 21 credit hrs, and dealt with some tough stuff at home and work. Exersize was the last thing on my mind. The one thing this sem. made clear to me is I MUST take care of myself, or all those things will go out the window. Kery took the words out of my mouth, Just DO It, don't think about it, do it because you know it's what you need to do for you. I feel so sluggish from neglecting my body those months, but I am getting back on track and taking time to take care of me.
kellibee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
One thing that worked well for me was to put down my exercise time, among other things, in my timetable, black on white on a sheet of paper on the wall. After all, I had to make room for working hours, classes and studying hours; adding a few more slots made it seem more like it was "something I do because it's what needs to be done, period". And it works. I've never been so consistent before.

I found it easier with a kitchen on hand, though. It lets you cook what you want, in the way you want. At the cafeteria, pasta is always way too limp, you don't know what's in the sauce that goes with the meat, nor how much dressing there's on the salad... It was harder when all I had was an electric hot plate and a lavatory to wash my dishes in. -_-
Absolutely. If I didn't write things down and make a schedule for myself, I wouldn't do anything. In fact, when I got here 4 years ago I managed to drop 45 pounds *instead* of gaining like most people do. Different story since then though, but nevermind that. ^_^

As for eating out, my last roommate (who has since graduated and moved away) and I used to hang out a lot and go to eat, you just need to try to make the best possible food choices for yourself (and if it's too much fast food, consider just saying "no I have to study" sometimes).

I'm all about cooking your own meals too, for the reasons already stated, but clearly it can be a pain if you don't have the time (though many things can be made fairly quickly!).

Also I've found that if I keep say, a bag of apples or a bunch of bananas on hand at home, i am much less likely to go out and buy chocolate bars/chips/whatever to gorge myself on when I want a snack.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #13  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

so im at college (or uni here) but i dont live in dorms, i live with my boyfriend. all my ates live in dorms, and i do not envy them. everyone i know has put on weight. in the uk alcohole is as much to blame as the bad food and no exercise. i have to walk to uni, and to see my mates, so i do about 4-7 miles a day, and that adds up quick. drinking, well i try and do it either once a week or once every two. its a huge culture in the uk, its ever night with our students. but i cant realy afford it, which kind of helps. I also am trying to start my own fitness regieem, (which was suppose to start today but i was sick last night so im having to give it a misss....grrrr) but yeh, going for a run early evening late afternoon is my new things, and swimming.
one thing i have found, is there are loads of people putting on the weight and trying to do somthing about it, ok so they may not be as dedicated as me, but if u find someone in a dorm who wants to work out with you, thats half the battle sorted because support is the best thing to have when trying to loose ina abd situation

how do u guys cope with alcohole?
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
in the uk alcohole is as much to blame as the bad food and no exercise.
I'd argue that it's much the same in many places in the US. In the Uni I attend, for example. I don't drink much now, but I know last year my roommate and I went to the bar pretty much everyday. I was not on the medications that I'm on now,and I was somehow able to do this and eat horrid greasy foods every night and I only put on 5-10 pounds. It also helped that our favorite bar was quite a walk from our dorm and we didn't have cars.

But I can't afford that either this year, which def. helps. ^_^ It's possible to, say, have drinks made with diet soda instead of regular or light beers, but it's still not good for you. Moderation whenever possible, I guess.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #15  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I most definitely go to college, and I certainly feel your pain with regards to college weight gain.
I live in dorms for the third year in a ROW, because I'm an RA (or a don, or whatever you call them). Basically, I live in residence and make sure the first years don't kill themselves with fun ideas like slip-and-slides down stairwells and such.

I've been battling with college weight gain like mad, and I find it's REALLY hard to say no to all of the junk that's everywhere around you, ESPECIALLY when all of your friends are chowing down on junk and alcohol.

My best advice is to find some super low-calorie foods that you can snack on without too much guilt. Flavoured rice cakes (caramel or white cheddar, yum!) are only about 50 calories each, and as a result are a pretty decent conscience-free snack.
I am also absolutely OBSESSED with Lipton's Green Tea To Go-- usually the mandarin mango flavour. It's just those juice crystals that you put in water bottles, but they're 0 calories and really good. When I just need to put SOMETHING in my mouth, it's really helpful.
As to when everyone goes out... it's really hard to say no to all the junk, but usually there's something on the menu that's decent. More than once I've asked the waitress if they can substitute in vegetables of some sort for my fries, and even though it's not on the menu, I can usually get steamed veggies (I don't like salads...) or something decent. Sometimes if I just want a chicken breast I'll order an un-breaded chicken sandwich, then just ditch the bread. I get made fun of by my friends a bit, when I do this stuff, but they generally support me.
If you're not ready to tell everyone around you about your weight loss efforts (as I know some people like to keep it private), you can always just make up excuses like, "Man, I've just eaten so much fried crap lately, I need something at least a LITTLE healthy...."
But in general, you just have to hit that wall, where you say, "Wow, I can't live like this anymore..." and just have to start saying "no." Even if you treat yourself every once in a while, you have to learn to be able to say no at least SOME of the time.

Also, I agree with some of the other people here... I had a high school teacher who used to tell us, "The minute you say you don't have time for the gym is probably the time you need to go THE MOST." It's a good stress release to go take a cardio kickbox class, or just go hammer on the treadmill for a half hour, do a weight circuit, etc. Once you get working out I find you have more energy, you feel more energized to do schoolwork, and more productive in general. The days that I start off with working out at the gym ALWAYS help my motivation to do the other things I need to do. Not to mention it helps you sleep at night!

Good luck darling.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote