Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #16  

dahuffst - the weight watchers pizza's are good. You just have to watch them because they get hard if they are in like a minute too long because they are very thin.

Jibbelle - Sorry abot the Rams but the Patriots had there victory party in Boston yesterday. I live about 15 minutes from the Foxboro Stadium where they play. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of there's I'm a big fan of the Raiders whom the Patriots beat two weeks before that. I wasn't very happy about that.

Well tonight is the first night that I've gotten home from work at a decent time. I'm going to go rest and watch Dawson's Creek.

Hope you guys all have a great week and great weigh in's.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:46 PM   #17  

Talking Newbie Here!!!

Name: Heather

Birthday: April 14th, 1980

Marital Status: boyfriend, but no ring yet.

Spouse: bf, Steve

Children: None

Pets: one dog, Abbey

Height: 5'4

Weight: Highest 143lbs, Current 136.5lbs, Goal 120lbs

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: Dr. Pepper

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time: I'm more conscious of what I eat, and the calories I take in. I'm ready to be focused and achieve my goal. I know that I didn't gain weight overnight and I shouldn't expect to lose it overnight either!! As long as I have a goal and a plan...and as long as I feel that I am doing what I can to work towards my goal, then I'll be happy with the results whatever they may be.

I'm glad to be apart of this group. Good luck everyone on achieving their goals!!

Heather
Old 02-07-2002, 05:09 PM   #18  

Angry Another new one...

Name: Valerie

Birthday: 5/4/75

Marital Status: getting married 6/22/02!

Spouse: fiance, Frank

Pets: Siamese cat, Casey

Height: 5'5"

Weight: Highest 184lbs, Current around 163 lbs. (I haven't been on a scale since around September so I am just estimating), Wedding goal: 155 lbs. Ultimate Goal: 135 lbs. would be nice!

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: chocolate and cheese

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time:

When I started graduate school in Aug. 97 I weighed 184 and was determined to lose weight. By June 98 I was down to 140 - I did it all on my own with eating healthy and exercising. Slowly over the last 3 1/2 years my weight is creeping up - a few more lbs. every year. I can't get the motivation back. I feel out of controlI get disgusted every time I look in the mirror. I feel overwhelmed with guilt every time I eat something bad or skip exercising for the night. I would like to think support from others would be helpful in keeping me motivated! I feel very alone b/c all of my friends and family members are either average weight or underweight.

It would be nice to hear from other people out there my age who know how I feel!
Old 02-07-2002, 06:15 PM   #19  

Default Re:

Hey Valerie,

Congratulations on your engagement. My best friend, whom I am going to be the maid of honor, is getting married the same day!!

Anyway, I know exactly how you feel about weight loss. It's so easy to eat unhealthy but then I start to feel guilty. I get so lazy sometimes because it's so much easier to get a cheeseburger than to make a salad the night before. Then my guilt turns to anger because I wonder why there are some people out there who can eat what they want while I have to eat like a bird!!! I look at those magazines with all those models and it disgusts me that I can't look like them!!

How are you losing weight? Are you counting calories? fat grams? How are you exercising? How many days a week?
Old 02-09-2002, 11:02 AM   #20  

Hi girls and welcome,

I hope you find the support you need here it is a great place.

Valerie - congratulations on the wedding. You must be so excited.
How is the planning going? I have a friend getting married in September of 2003 and she is already stressed with the planning.

Heather - You'll get that ring.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:27 PM   #21  
Natural Health Educator

Angry Can I join the club?

Name: meow

Birthday: june 2 1972

I live in the Sunny Caribbean

Marital Status: married

Pets: one cat

Height: 5'6

Weight: Highest 180lbs(1995, Current 158 lbs, Goal 135lbs(this may differ if my muscle is heavy. I body build, so i am really going for lower body fat. Currently 25.5% want more like 15%)

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: CANDY

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time:
I have done all this before. once during college, i got down to 130, then ballooned up to 180 during a bad relationship. After I ditched him, i found out I have a metabolic disorder, PCOS, and due to proper eating i lost 40 pounds again. Unfortunatly i didn't do what the doctor sais, ate carbs in QUANITY say 80 percent of diet, and gained another 25 or so over the course of my marriage. So, I am realizing that the countdown is on for my thirtieth birthday in June. I have a father who turned his life around ten years ago from cancer. He is now healthy, lighter and very fit at 60. I want to be the same way by my birthday! I am commiteed to this for mlife, not just for a BF or my DH. I want to be well.....so, i ask if i can join the thread...i know i am nearly a 30 somthing, but oh well...

I RUN 5 days a week, 40 minutes, often i swap one of those days for Taebo. I weight train extensively, and live a very active lifestye here in the tropics....But I need support.

=^..^=

Last edited by pcosmom; 02-11-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:24 PM   #22  

Default Newbie

Hi everyone, new to this thread, but a 3FC'er for years...

Name: Sam

Birthday: August 1975

Marital Status: Defacto - curently having a ring designed

Spouse: bf, Chris

Children: One dd and one on the way

Pets: Schmu our cat

Height: 5'4"

Weight: Highest 179lbs (9 month pg), current 140, current goal: to only gain about 20 pounds this pregnancy, long term goal: 130 pounds.

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: Potato chips, fries - I'm a salt girl

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time: For me it is not losing yet, but not gaining as much. I gained about 35 pounds with my daughter and that sux! I've only gotten down to 140, but now I'm 7 weeks pregnant again. This time I'll do better because I won't comfort eat as much and I'll try to stay active.

Hope you don't mind me joining, it seemed a good time with this intro thread!
Sam
Old 02-10-2002, 09:13 PM   #23  

I haven't posted for quite a while, but I just wanted to welcome everyone!

It's nice to have other 20-something girls to keep in touch with. I haven't exercised for a few days and feel so bad about it. I have to get back in to it I seem to have days where it's almost easy to eat properly and go out walking and then I let it slip...maybe I should be posting here more often, I could probably use the feedback

I have the day off from work tomorrow, so I'll be doing lots of exciting things...laundry, vaccuuming ! I'll find time for my walk too.

I don't have everyone's names down yet but I'm glad you're all here. By the way 29 is definitely still in the 20's!! I'm 28 and try not to even think ahead to 30 until I absolutely have to ! You're more than welcome here, even after you turn 30 of course, I'll be there soon too.

Hope everyone had a great weekend,

Jennifer
P.S I'm still waiting for the ring too! It's been designed and is apparently ready to go...when, I'm not allowed to know!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:14 AM   #24  

Thanks, RWUChic! I'm not rushing it...when it happens, it'll happen!!

I'm from Alabama and our company sponsored the Birmingham Mercedes Marathon Sunday morning. I know this sounds crazy, but I was really deperessed seeing those people run 26.2 miles, which half of them were in the 40s-60s. There is NO way I could do that. There were also little kids (15-16 year olds) running too!! It kinda made me motivated that I would like to start running every day and maybe one day I can enter a Marathon. I guess it just kinda gave me a reality check of how out of shape I really am!!!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:43 PM   #25  
Natural Health Educator

I got up to excersize today and discovered that an old injury is haunting me...Runners knee. I am sad since it is my facvorite way to move, but i am not stupid, well unless you count that i ran three times this week knowing that my knee was out of alignment. I went to visit my nurse practioner. she told me to wrap it, ice it, and take it easy for a week. I need new shoes again...I wear Brooks. These are expensive here on teh island, all things are expensive really. I don't want to stop running, since i have gotten really into it, but it looks like taebo is what i will be doing for a bit. I actually audio taped the video, and follow along with headphones....That way I can do squats when i can't jump, and basically keep the heart rate up but not hurt my knee any more,..It seemed to go well today. I have no access to a pool, and the gyms here are outrageously expensive. i suppose i could swim at teh beach, but then again, nah. I like the beach but not enough for that. ...

anyone else have knee problems? anyone else like taebo? I am really apreciative of the support offered on 3FC. I follow a zoneish or low glycemic diet, and take in about 1600 calories a day and dont feel too deprived. what about you all? are you on a plan? oh-i have a recipe to share...

OAT/Peanut butter(or almond butter) cocoa protein snacks..HOmemade without preservatives...

1 1/2 cup oats (rolled ones lightly chopped in blender)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder Unsweetened
2-4 tablespoons milk powder, whey protein or other protein
3 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
2 tablespoons rice syrup, or panela (cane syrup) or honey
(OPtional amounts. you could use less or none.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
OPtional, ground nuts of any kind

Mash this all together in a bowl, add a sprinke of water if needed to help bind it. roll out into little balls, using your hands...FUN FOODS! If you use low fat ingredients, all the better. THis is a high protein snack that helps me get thru the low parts of my day, and the best part it, it tastes like no-bake cookies! (and since it has no butter or refined sugar you can feel better about eating it.)

enjoy.

=^..^=
Old 02-11-2002, 10:18 PM   #26  

Meowmew2,
I'm sorry to hear about your knee but, it's good that you have other exercise options. How long have you had Runners knee? I have been walking almost everyday and eventually will build up to running (which I did way back when...). I have worn Brooks running shoes for years, and I find them to be fairly expensive too! I did try taebo a couple of times. I think I started at a level that was a too difficult for a beginner...or I'm more uncoordinated than I thought It's good that you have found ways to modify the exercise for yourself and still keep your heart rate up. It must be great to live in such a warm climate year round. Todat it was about 15 below zero with the wind, it's not always enjoyable for getting out there and walking.

I'm not on a plan right now. I'm just paying close attention to what I eat and also write everything down.

Thanks for the recipe, I think I'll pick up what I need tomorrow at the grocery store and try it It's a much better alternative to eating something sweet when I get a craving.

Valerie, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding...how exciting! I know what you mean about your weight slowly creeping up. That's exactly what happened to me. A few years ago I got my weight down by about 20 pounds and started slipping. Before I knew it I was at my top weight, and didn't even really notice myself getting to that point. Everyone around me is also in good shape and take good care of their bodies. I often wonder why I haven't been able to do what seems to come so easy to them Hopefully supporting each other here will be a help to all of us

Heather, A marathon sounds like a great incentive! It's hard when you get a reality check like that. My brother and his girlfriend play on a co-ed college basketball team and I went to a game last week. I sat there realizing just how much I want to be at the weight I should be. I'm still in my twenties (barely) and I don't want to go in to my thirties this way.

Sam, Congratulations on your soon-to-be engagement and your little one who's on the way. Is there a specific plan or diet you have to follow while you're preganant? How about cravings for treats, are those more frequent now

Again, I don't have everyone's name sorted out yet, but I hope you're all doing well and will check in soon

Jenn
Old 02-12-2002, 11:06 AM   #27  

Hey Everyone.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I started my first day of running and man I'm out of shape!!!

I'm very frustrated right now- I hear so many people talk about the "correct" way to lose weight...but girls, help me out here...WHAT IS THAT WAY?? Don't eat carbs, eat carbs..... eat fruit and vegetables, don't eat too much fruit, take vitamins, take diet pills, exercise every day, don't exercise every day.... I'm just very confused on what is the best or most proper way to keep myself fit.

Any ideas??

(sorry to sound so negative!!)
Old 02-12-2002, 01:28 PM   #28  
Natural Health Educator

Angry If you care to know my thoughts on how to lose weight...

If you care to know my thoughts on how to lose weight...

Basically, all the fad diets do is figure a way to either restrict your calories, or fool your body into burning more calories...The real key is to creat the deficit between what you eat and what you burn YOu can do this by eating really light and not moving, or you can eat right, move a lot and weight train...

I believe that all bodies are intrinsically different, and what works for one wont always work for the other. (So forgive me for my blanket statements.) however, I am a firm believer that you should not deprive yourself, or eat in a way that can cause your body harm. Many high protein diets can hurt your kidneys and should only be done under a doctors care.(they are safe that way, so say the studies, i am not knocking them... likewise, if you are ill, have any sort of heart or circulatory problem, you must be careful about excersizing.

Really , you need to find what works for you. I will insert that stregnth training is a fantastic way to lose body fat, check out how the BFL program does it! I personally try to eat well and excersize. I will never be really small, (at 5'6" i currently weigh 157 and have 25% body fat.) but i want my body fat percentage to be lower to help reduce chance of heart attacks and other nasty things....

i hope i am not rambling. really, if you eat low glycemic, or heart healthy, ora plan like Dr. Andrew Weil or one of amany other s recommends, you will feel better, have more energy and be less deprived. Eating lots of times through out the day and keeping those foods low glycemic will also help. 5 years ago i lost 30 pounds by eating that way. NOw, me and the DH eat a balance of protien, carbs and fats every day, say kinda like zone or sugar busters, we dont eat soy, (long story) and we get out at least 5 days a week to move our tushes!!!!

I think my average daily calorie intake is like 1600, but based on my lifestyle and activity level plus my basal metabolism, i burn like 3000 or something a day. SOOOOO, this means a deficit of say 1400 calories...If a pound of fat is 3500, at this rate i should lose at least 2 pounds a week. This is a hypothetical, we all have days where we eat a bit more, or less. I just want to remain on track. so, i hope i haven't gone on too long/ Check out the eas or bfl sites for great info on weight training....I can tell you from experience that has helped me with insulin resistance, my lot in life!

Good luck to everyone, and here is another snack idea i found on the glycemic revolution website...

Chic NUt snacks...(Like corn nuts or soynuts)
take a pound of chic peas dry, say from your local supermarket.
soak them overnight in the fridge. Lightly pat dry, and spread them out on a dry cookie sheet. bake at say 325 a couple hours till they turn golden, and when you crunch them they crunch all the way through and dont smoosh anymore. allow to cool. when dry, i toss the batch with a half a teaspoon of olive oil and garlic powder and sea salt to taste. They are fantastic and very addictive. have no fear, however, since they are basically beans, not nuts and are not gonna send your blood sugar thru the roof...

=^..^=

PS running can be hard on the knees, I am a case in point. My former PT always said it is best to cross train...I guess i should have listened to her. Anyway, biking, hiking, running, swimming, whatever you like as long as your heart is up. And, i am reading conflicting advice on teh whole thing about longer at low intensity versus shorter at higher intensity.. I will fill you guys in with some info if you care...i have gone on long enough today, your eyes are likely rolling from reading my long post!
Old 02-19-2002, 06:48 PM   #29  

Name: erin

Birthday: December 23rd, 1978

Pets: a beagle, Daisy

Height: 5'3"

Weight: 136

Goal:120

Marital Status: happily single

Treats I most hate giving up: chocolate, beer, wine, pasta, bratwurst

Why I will be successful losing weight: Because I'm doing it in a healthy, structured way. I also plan on making healthy eating long-term goal, this isn't a "diet".

enough about me!

~erin
Old 02-20-2002, 04:31 PM   #30  

Ok I posted on another post, but figured I'd share all the good info with everyone here.

Name: Kelly

Birthday: August 12, 1978

Pets: None, but want a puppy really bad! Hope to get one around July or August when I move into a house

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 130

Goal: 120 - 125

Marital Status: Engaged (just happened in January so no wedding till atleast summer 2003 because we are buying a house hopefully by June!)

Fiances Name: Brian (total sweetie)

Treats I most hate giving up (which I splurge on once in awhile): definitly chocolate, beer, peanut butter, cheese, french fries, anything battered and fried....and I'm sure there are more!

Why I think I'll be successful: Because I'm not trying a lose weight quick plan. I've been working out for about 9 months and have seen a difference in my muscle even though not really in the scale. Plus I'm starting to eat healthier for good and not just to lose weight. But I just have to stick with it and I believe I can reach my goal!!!

Closed Thread