Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/202/155

Height: 5'9"

Default The worst thing someone's ever said....

What's the worst thing someone ever said to you about your weight that made you feel terrible? And maybe they weren't even meaning it to be ugly to you, but it still really made you want to lose the weight?

I went to my doctor last week (whom I like and is usually very sweet and considerate) to discuss my weight loss options. And he said to me "I can see in your face that if you lost weight you would be pretty" -- I was like, there had to be a better way to put that! So now not only am I fat, but I'm ugly, too?

It hurt so bad!

My dad, who recently lost 45 lbs by cutting out carbs, said his breaking point was when a pregnant woman at work joked with him and said " Your tummy's as big as mine".

It got me to thinking....everybody must have a similar breaking point story.
kirklin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Aren't doctors so aggravating? I swear they're all a bunch of jerks! He shouldn't have said something like that anyway. If thats you in your avator pic, you don't even look like you need to lose weight, and your face is gorgeous!

As for the question, hmmm well no ones really said anything like that to me recently, but something that really hit me was back when I was still at school (I just finished up my freshman year, where I gained 30 lbs) and I was walking with my group of friends, and we passed a girl we lived in the same building as. One of my guy friends, as we passed her, said, "Wow, she's really bulked up since the beginning of the year" and we all shushed him, saying he was horrible. But in the back of my mind, I was thinking... "Oh my god... what if someone's saying that about me?!!" and I really started getting serious about eating healthily and losing weight right about then.
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I've had the usual "when's the baby due?" comments when I wasn't pregnant. One thing I will always remember is my step-dad (who was a jerk) said "You know, Lily, in high school you could have any man you wanted, but now none of them would want to date you because of how big you are." (This was a few yrs. ago and I'd like to say I've proved him wrong.) My DH is hot, hot, hot and I married him a long time before I lost the weight. Too bad dear old step-dad wasn't still alive to see it. LOL.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

You are pretty regardless of your weight.

My story is from when I went to MSU as my undergrad and was a Resident Mentor. I was telling a MSU football player that it was inappropriate that he was walking down my hall at 3 in the morning (drunk) banging on every door. He then responded that “You fat … I don’t have to listen to a word you say.” Then turns around to his size 0 girlfriend and says “look at that fat … can you believe how big she is”. I was mortified. I couldn’t even write up an incident report because I was so mortified at letting myself get that big I could not confront the issue.

I couldn’t believe someone would discount everything I said just because of my weight. It was like I wasn’t even an authority figure (granted he probable wouldn’t have listened to anyone because MSU football players have a god complex but you get the point of the storry.)
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #5  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

I'm sure this isn't the worst comment I've heard but it is the most recent and since I am still steaming over it, it fits this thread perfectly. A lady at work made this big ol' salad that had all kinds of junk in it (bacon, cheese, dressing). When she offered everyone some I said no thanks and her reply was, "come on, it's not that healthy" as if a fatty like me only rejected salad because thought it was a healthy food and would jump on the offer now that I knew it was in fact filled with calories. I would have been less offended had she just called me a fat cow. I so wanted to say something but I think I would have cried so I just went and ate my whole wheat pita stuffed with veggies and turkey back in the office (my lunch was actually VERY healthy, thank you very much you jerk) I don't know if I was just being overly sensitive but I was hurt by her comment.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #6  

I don't remember a whole lot of them, I know there were several. One I do remember was when I was around 12 or 13 years old, and was at the pool with a friend, and her brother taged along. He was picking her and a few other girls who were there up and throwing them in the pool, and stuff, just for fun, and I said something like "I'm gonna go over here so he doesn't do that to me" and my friend said "He probably couldn't lift you". She caught what she said right away and said sorry, and thankfully I don't think her brother or anyone else heard it (if they did they payed no attention), so I wasn't totally embarrassed, but I did feel really bad, and thats when I started getting really ashamed about myself.

I haven't gone swimming since then.

Even though I love swimming, and I swim really well.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 320

Height: 58

First and foremost...you are beautiful with a lil poundage or not. I don't know what that doctor was saying. It's always better to use those comments though as motivation and not setbacks.

One of the many comments that pushed me to my healthy edge was one made by my own family. I won't go into details to save them but it was really harsh. I realized this world is not a sensitive place and I need to strive to be healthy for me and only me. This is hard but I'm adjusting my lifestyle slowly.

Just wanted to end it with good luck you all!! Also remember all negative comments should be turn into fuel towards reaching your goals!
mnms24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #8  
meow

S/C/G: toomuch/same/normal

Height: short

I was recently referred to as a "fat bi*ch" by someone that I thought was a friend.
crabbypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/202/155

Height: 5'9"

Geez. Most of these stories are worse than mine! The stories from childhood are even worse. I had a fellow 7th grader tell me one time when I asked if my shirt was ok that no one was paying attention to my shirt because they were too busy staring at my gut. Talk about mortification. It was on a school bus filled with kids and I think just about everyone heard it. I swear there was an echo afterwards it got so quiet. Kids can be so cruel. I don't even think I ever told my parents, which I wish I had because they probably could have offered some words of encouragement. I hope when I have kids and they struggle with stuff like that they will come to me. I think after that is when I started dieting at age 13. It's kind of sad - but I should be an expert at dieting now because Ive been doing it for 12 years!
kirklin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 7'

I think I might win this one!

My MOTHER said, "I am worried about you. I think you are trying to gain weight so you can have your gastric bypass surgery. I just want you to know that you are heavy enough". !!!!!!!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #11  
Happy New Rears!

I had just come back from a Disney cruise with my daughter, I came through the door and my hubby and I hugged and he said in my ear 'so how much weight do you figure you gained on this cruise?)

Recently, I ran into my neighbour (who's daughter plays with mine) she said to me 'I hear you're on a diet' I replied yes, and I'd lost 17 pounds - she said

'really, wow it doesn't show'
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #12  
Loosin' Baby Fat

S/C/G: 178.5/178.5/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Oh wow. There are so many sad comments here. I think it is worse when you are a kid..... those things stick w/ you for a long time.

The worst comment was from my brother. He said something about me being fat... I can't even remember what it was, but I was so upset and embarrassed. I have just had 2 babies in 13 months and was starting to loose the weight, so I felt good about myself until he made that comment.
Blessed2Mothr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #13  
Loosin' Baby Fat

S/C/G: 178.5/178.5/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Oh and kirklin82 I can't believe your Dr said that. When I joined earlier today and saw your pic in a post I thought you were beautiful!
Blessed2Mothr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 275/275/145

Height: 5'6"

It wasn't really what someone said that was my turning point, although I have gotten all the "Oh! When are you due?!" comments (it's more embarressing when they are from coworkers). A group of friends and I went to a theme park several weeks ago and I had trouble getting on some of the rides. Most of them I just needed to suck in, but there was one ride where the seat harness just wouldn't go down. I was ready to just get up and walk away ashamed, but the guy tending the ride said "No, wait." and actually jumped up and stood on the harness to try to get the belt to go down and it still wouldn't, and I had all those people in line watching! I tried so hard not to cry, and managed to get away from the crowd before I did. My husband got off the ride with me and just hugged me until I stopped sobbing.
PeekaJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

When I was 14 (and probably only about 10-15 pounds overweight) my mom told me that if I stayed fat I'd never ever get a boyfriend and die alone. Meanwhile she'd make giant greasy homecooked meals that she told me i'd have to finish. How kind! What i've learned though is that most people who insult are just hiding their own insecurities.
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote