Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Belly Dancing

Does anyone do it? I've been thinking about it, as it's a great workout and a fun thing to do. I've been looking at 3FC's Amazon store and there are SO many DVD's. I'm wondering which one is best to choose for beginners...one that's genuine belly dancing, not some cheap knock-off that only gives three moves and has you do them for an hour each. Anyone out there belly dance and has suggestions?

Thanks!
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I've done it a couple of times it's a world of fun. The pain you get afterwards is totally worth it.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

It's funny that you posted this because I was looking at the same thing earlier today. I was looking at both belly dancing and other dancing work out dvds. I'm going to keep checking to see what other people say.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/182/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I tried. Own 3 of them

I have three of them and I could never get into it. I'm too self conscious. I don't know why. The only person watching is my 9 month old. I may have to break them out again and see if they do what they promise. I have one that's an instructional one and then the other two are fat burning and hip hop groove or something.
zoejanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #5  

I've never tried it. Never really thought of it actually. I'm too fat and embarrassed to belly dance.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

If you do a search there have been a couple threads in the past about which videos are good for instructional vs. fitness. Look for posts by aphil, she's the resident bellydance expert of 3FC. I actually have several DVDs myself but they are all fitness ones including Rania's boxed set, the Goddess workout set, and a couple by the twins. All pretty fun, but not the best cardio. Still a good workout.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #7  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

If I'm under 200 pounds by the time I get back to my college for the school year, I hope to join my school's belly dancing club. It's a bit intimidating because it's mostly size 2 Israeli and Arab girls who have been belly dancing since they could walk! But I don't necessarily have to take part in the shows, just learn to dance.

I don't really know of any videos though. I'm not a fan of most of exercise videos.
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Hi ladies!

Here is something to consider:

~Are you wanting to actually learn to belly dance CORRECTLY, or are you wanting to do an exercise workout that has belly dance "themed movements" for something different to do besides regular aerobics, etc?

The reason why I am mentioning this, is because there are gads of videos out there-some are meant as exercise videos only, some are actual instructional videos...and in the instructional category there are videos from beginning basic movements all the way to videos meant for professionals that are on a specific topic, and are not meant for mainstream viewers. (Women who are not belly dancers.)

I also wanted to clarify something. Belly dance is a dance that teaches muscle and movement isolations. You are learning to properly move one muscle group, or one body part, by itself-without involving the rest of the body. This is where it is really unique from a lot of other dance forms. This is why many videos have you do a handful of moves, and do them repeatedly. It is very important to learn this way, to get proper technique. I would also recommend doing the movements in front of a mirror as well, if you are not taking a proper class, because you also want to be sure that you are doing it "right", and if you can't see your movements, it is hard to tell.

I teach beginning classes with slow isolations, and have the students do the movements repeatedly. I do this myself. It is imperative for good technique. You have to have the basics perfected, and done so much that they feel and look completely natural, before you can add other movements, or props (finger cymbals, veils, etc.) on top of those movements.

You can do a belly dance exercise video no problem, because the goal is to simply move-to burn calories. Proper instruction and learning, however, takes more time and patience.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

(I am not a 20-something though...I am a 30-something. )
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #9  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

if you have the fittv channel..they have a belly dancing as part of their allstar workout shows...
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #10  

Do you know who instructs it on FitTv?

You want an actual belly dance instructor...not an aerobics/strength training instructor that took a 6 week course and now thinks she can teach BD.

Kathy Smith put out a belly dance "workout" a few years back, for instance, and it is terrible. She is a great step aerobics instructor, a great strength training and yoga instructor-but she is no belly dancer.

You only want to learn from an actual dancer...not an exercise instructor doing belly dance moves. There is a big difference.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #11  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i was actually just checking out classes here in Baltimore.

I hate to exercise and have to find something i like... i thought this would be fun
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

aphil, the fit tv instructor's name is Aubre and it says she's a "professional belly dancer" but I don't know any more than that.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #13  
GOODBYE lovehandles!

I would love to try belly dancing someday.. I might have to check out some of those DVDs.
Katytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #14  

I personally wouldn't recommend many of the popular dvds that they sell at Best Buy, etc. like The Goddess Workout, Instant Bellydancer, etc. They aren't that good teaching-wise. They are more mainstream money-makers.

If you REALLY want to learn to belly dance instead of just doing a workout video, I would first recommend finding an actual instructor if you can.

Go to shira.net online, and she has a very large instructor directory. If you look there, and there isn't an instructor listed close to you, I recommend contacting an instructor there that is relatively close (in the same state, for instance.) and asking them if there is anyone nearer. I know a handful of instructors here in Indiana who are not actually listed on Shira, so there may be one nearer to you than you think.

An actual instructor is going to help you in so many ways-getting you information on local events, teaching you about music rhythms, cultural differences and styles in belly dance, dance ettiquette, and gads of things that a video cannot teach you. It also helps to have someone to correct you when you are doing a movement wrong...if you learn a movement incorrectly, and practice it that way, it is much harder to break that habit later on, than if you were corrected in the beginning.

Another thing to consider, is are you interested in traditional belly dancing (Egyptian, Turkish, etc. and can be done in groups or as a soloist) or are you interested in the American Tribal Style, or Tribal Fusion styles. (Not traditional, but rather moves and costuming taken from a multitude of places, and commonly done in groups.) There are videos, and instructors, that fall into different categories.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Thank you for replying Aphil! You've already told me so much I didn't previously know and in just a few replies! I'm currently overseas (Japan) with my USMC husband, so I'll have to either wait until next year and we're back in the states to try belly dancing or find an instructional DVD to get me started. I was wanting to actually learn how to belly dance, not just do it for the exercise. Can you think of any well-known instructors who have books or DVD's out?
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote