Old 05-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #16  

Briza, running burns around 100 calories a mile, more or less. It's great for long-term weight loss or maintenance, but don't expect it to make a fast difference in what you see on the scale.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #17  
Proud US Navy Wife

Ok ok here I am.

As stated in Chat n stuff.. yay on doing Week 4! I never would have thought I would be able to jog for 5 minutes straight. So Im super-proud of myself. I was going to run again tonight, but ended up passing out on DBs lap. So I'll do some strength training tonight, and go for a run tomorrow.

Briza - congratulations on the running. And by the way, I love the name.. Do'Urden fan much?
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #18  

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone! Well I have now finished Couch to 5k program and am running 3 miles..I am now on a new program to get up to 6 miles running. :-) I'm really proud because I've never been a runner. :-)
gremlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #19  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Gremlina, that`s awesome. I hope I am that way when I finish (going to start Week 2 this Monday).

My goal is to be under 175 pounds by August 14th, which is when I fly back to the US for two weeks. I also want to be jogging 5k by then, since I won`t have a gym while I`m there.

We`re going to spend some time in Yosemite, and I would LOVE to run there.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi ladies!

I started running about 2 months ago. I ran in my first 5K two weeks ago and got a time of 33 minutes! I was soooo excited. My longest run so far was about 5 miles. I have a 10K coming up on July 4th so I definitely have my work cut out for me!

I never thought I'd be a runner but it's very cool to have a longterm exercise that I enjoy doing.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #21  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Hey all -
well I haven't been running for a bit - BUT I went for the LONGEST hike today - and it was rough - I realized I didn't have the muscles for this hike anymore - there were boulders and boulders and more rocks to climb (that was easy but I hurt my hip flexor somehow and it hurt to pull up) and we had no idea where the real path was, or whether going up the boulders was the right thing (boulder hopping the description called it) - and there were other stumped people also climing around us too - but we kept trudging up and finally found the mine we were looking for! But by then we caught up to this other couple that had passed us - and we were debating how to get back to our cars (which route to follow) - well - remember how badly it was marked before - was still badly marked - we ended up climbing this shear mountain part with loose rocks and sand and branches - and about 1/4 of the way up (my calves screaming mercy mercy mercy) we decided that it was the wrong way for sure - my friend climbed a lot higher - but I was like - NO Thanks - I'm big and unstable and the rocks keep falling - and I just pushed a really big one down. So down we finally went - and I had to butt slide down (and go first otherwise I would have been hit by sliding rocks/trees/dirt) and it was on my but - a bit like skiing - mostly really sliding on my feet in a crouched position. Somehow we found the way to where we took the wrong turn - and somehow we found the switchback we were supposed to take. And then it was UP and UP and UP and UP - legs screaming - its getting late - thinking our cars would be locked in where they were parked - is there an end to this - the views are beautiful - catch my breath while I'm "looking" Oh no we went the wrong way AGAIN - finally finding the right path - UP and Up some more - and finally I spot the bench that marks the end of the up - a small burst of energy and I get up (there are now four of us, my friend and the couple we met that we took the wrong turn with).

plop on the bench - drink the mouthful of water we have left - and down the pavement we go. We decide not to take the trail back that we could - but take the pavement down. By this time my friend has dirt all over her face, and on her teeth!!! I am not as dirty - but then again, I didn't climb as high as she did!

we make it down - sun is setting - and we see a police car on one of the neighboring paths - we are afraid our cars may get ticketed or we will be locked in (since we think the gate closes at 8, and it is 8) - by this time my friend and I are behind the couple (who we have been talking to on the way down) and we start running a bit - and the man jokingly calls out - its a race - and I run faster, and his wife starts running - but she can't catch up to me - I speed off - where was this energy on the Up and Up and Up - there was even a small hill here - and UP I went as fast as ever - run run run. maybe 300 yards - but still - wait I ran this weekend....to the car to get a water. Yum even though warm. dirty, smelly and afriad to take off my shoes for fear of all the dirt in them. But accomplished. we did it. though boulders and mud. What a hike!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

Bida - that hike sounds scary/exhilarating! Glad you made it out okay! I have been hiking a lot lately too. I love how it's getting easier as I am getting stronger. Such a great feeling at the end of a hike!

I just went on one short run this weekend - I was visiting my parents for the weekend so took my/their crazy lab with me. It was more a sprint, then stop to pee/sprint/stop to smell the flower/sprint, etc. Anyone ever successfully run with their dog?
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #23  
Proud US Navy Wife

SIlver plum - I was going to ask a similar question! I have a 5 month old Ridgeback I like to go run with.. my problem isn't him stopping (he usually does it at the walking parts), but him running faster than me, and therefore pulling on his leash and running into traffic!

Bida - wow that is insane! Im glad you're alright. I know I would have been freaked out by being so lost!

Yesterday I did another day of week 4, with the dog as mentioned above.. I got a stitch, but that may have been from pulling on his leash to keep him with me? I'm not sure... it was a humid, rainy day, I had been able to dart out between rain storms. And what do you know, today is still humid, but nice and bright, so I may just run out again today!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #24  
Bida Bida Bida

I used to run successfully with my dog - back when he was still with me
it worked better when he got a little older - he was a little slower - and a little more tame with the leash. But he knew what to do and got into it (he always wanted to go longer than I did - and he knew when I was cheating him by not going down a certain street - ohhhh!!! - i used to also take him on a bike trip - like when I was lazy - and he would run himself CRAZY - it was fun!
he lived a long life!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5'9"

Woo Hoo! I'm finally up and running-- I know feel like a real part of the runners club! Today I did about 4 or so miles... Incredibly slow, but still 4 or so miles that I'm very proud of... Hoping with the beautiful weather I can actually keep it up!

Lately, the weather has just been so gorgeous I want to just go running! Hahaha, even though I'm dreading something inside of me is like "Don't waste this day!"
Dreamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #26  
Bida Bida Bida

cograts dreamer

today was a - I want to do anything but run day - but you know what - I played some soulful music and got out there - and really it was like one of hte best runs i've done in a while. I was thinking and feeling good - came up with some good ideas for stuff I need to brainstorm on. all and all a good 3.4 or so.

B
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #27  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

How many calories do you burn running a mile on the treadmill?
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #28  
Bida Bida Bida

there is a lot of factors - weight and speed. (and its more than most other activities) but you should be just happy to run a mile (or more!)

this is a good google question -> here is maybe an answer

http://www.liftforlife.com/caloriesburned.htm
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #29  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hey runners,

I've been MIA from here and the pavement the past several days. BF got in last wednesday night and I was able to get one run in Chicago on Saturday, but other than that I've just been taking it easy (my knee is thanking me). I'm exhausted from the trip and need to rest for a couple of days, but I will be back to it by the weekend. I just wanted to say hi and that I always enjoy reading your successes and advice! Happy running!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #30  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the link. I can't believe I burnt about 1,100 calories yesterday between running and playing DDR. that's crazy! hah!
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote