Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #1  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Height: 5'6"

Talking Bathing Suits?!?!

Ok, Ladies--

I've always admired girls who are a little on the chubby side, but still wear a bikini with pride! I, on the other hand wrap myself in a towel and spend the entire time tugging on my tankini top hoping that it's hiding my saggy belly button. (I have an obsession with my belly button..)

I digress.. I'm going to Huntington Beach in June-- with my TINY best friend who makes me look like Sham-MOO no matter how much I lose-- and she bought this tiny little bright colored bikini. I would feel so.. obviously trying to mask my fatness... in my black suit. I need to know what your beach worthy suits are like and where you have found them at!
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm not very original: I bought my two red bikinis in Decathlon (French sportswear & articles store), because I needed something to go skin-diving, and I absolutely can't stand the feeling of a wet bathsuit against my belly. ~shudders~ I thought it wasn't such a bad deal: since it's made for a little more than 'just' sunbathing on the beach, at least the huge boobs could fit in it. But I'm not very self-conscious about that particular matter, I admit (I'm way more self-conscious about, uhh, being shaved properly down there. ) Anyway, maybe you can find nice bathsuits as well near where you live? If it's like here, they're not too much on the fancy side, but they're not ugly/too plain either, and offer enough support as well.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #3  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I love the one piece bandeau suits from Newport News. They are absolutely my favorite as I love to go strapless! They are inexpensive as swimsuits go! As a matter of fact I own about 4 of them. Also, I buy board shorts online or at Academy and wear them over my swimsuit because I hate my thighs!

I too do admire those that wear their bikinis with pride. One day...one day!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #4  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I have a tankini I wear I got from Eddie Bauer .com
I am about the same size you are and I can wear the 18 no problem.. (the bottoms are a tiny bit big.. but I like my bottoms tight.. they have great colors and I love the ruched (sp?) top mine has..
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

Being from Hawai'i I know first hand the unpredictability of wearing a bikini to the beach especially if there are waves. I, personally, go for board shorts and a tankini. They make really cute board shorts nowadays in varying lengths and colors. I'm planning a trip to Disney World this summer and figure the board shorts would be best for the water parks. The tankini holds everything in place. I like the halter style. I usually surf online for clothes. I got a decent halter tankini from VS it offers great support for the girls and they do make larger sizes. The board shorts are available everywhere in Hawai'i in all sizes. Some online stores have um too just do a google search. The upside of this style is that you don't have to worry about pulling your bikini out of your butt, it's supper comfortable and can be very stylish. The downside, a good tankini with bra support can cost $40 and up. Board shorts can cost a lot too, especially, if you go for name brands.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #6  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Quote:
Being from Hawai'i I know first hand the unpredictability of wearing a bikini to the beach especially if there are waves. I, personally, go for board shorts and a tankini.
What she said. Except I'm from Cali with family from Hawai'i. But definitely a big YES on the board shorts with tankini top. Bikinis are great for sunbathing and looking cute, but if you want something that you're sure will stay with you, go with board shorts and a tankini top. Lots more reliable.

My current outfit is a pair of black boardshorts with wide stripes up the sides in a dark turquoise mesh, with a matching racerback tankini top. Got it at JC Penneys, I think.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't got a bathingsuit this season. I'm actually hoping not to have to shop in the plus size for it. Last year I got my bathingsuit from lane bryant online. It was a tie-died purple and blue halter. It wasn't circular tie-dye instead it was vertical transations though the colors so I hid some of the weight. Also the halter made my boobs look amazing.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I used to sell high-end swimsuits during high school. This much I know is true: A quality (even if it means extra $$$) swimsuit is worth its weight in sunscreen.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #9  

Ugh the name of this thread makes me depressed...

My problem is my "largest" area is my tummy. Therefore, I can't wear a tankini because it squeezes my fat into the area that shows. I either have to wear a full bikini or a 1 piece.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My problem was (and still is!) finding a suit with the lycra in the right spot. In a one-piece, I still need it in the tummy area, but not in the butt or else it looks like I'm trying to fit in a sausage casing (sorry for the mental picture). That's actually my problem now- finding properly fitted bottoms is quite a search. At least before I was all one size. Now I have to find a swimsuit in 2 different sizes- S/M top and M/L bottom.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #11  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Height: 5'6"

Thanks to who ever suggested Newport News-- I found a really cute brown crochet halter tankini-- hope it looks as cute on!!
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270?/234/190

Height: 5'11

torrid is ok for swimwear too. most of their things are tankini's. fashionable..but they dont have much of a selection.
CecelliaStrick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #13  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Is there a good swimsuit option for someone who doesn't want to show her thighs?
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #14  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Best swimsuit for someone who wants to keep thighs a bit more hidden would be either a skirted suit/tankini, or a pair of longer board shorts. Here's a pretty good one I've found:

Unfortunately, it only goes up through an XL (size 16), so not for the more plus-sized, but if you're in that range it's supposedly a pretty "roomy" fit. Here's the text that goes with, and a link to it (if the link doesn't work, go to "swimwear', then 'board shorts and more', then 'real boardie'):

Real Boardie and Surf Skirt
Our friend Jen designs surf-inspired gear for real women, doing real stuff, with real bodies. Roomy flattering fit doesn’t bind and does fit... our body, our lifestyle and our life. Quick drying poly micro. Boardie: Velcro closure, 9" inseam. Skirt: Zip closure, 18½" length on medium. Only at T9. Cement, Gypsy blue; S(4-6), M(8-10), L(12-14), XL(16)
Title 9 Sports Board Shorts

For tops, Title 9 carries a pretty decent selection of tankini tops and stuff, or just hunt around and find a place that has tankini tops, cause that's what works best with board shorts.

Last edited by Nikaia; 04-19-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: I forgot that people might want to cover their tops, too.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #15  

My thighs have always been a problem. I'm totally going to have to find me some board shorts! Good call!
gaylors79 is offline   Reply With Quote