Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #1  

Default New and Frustrated

Hi I'm new to the blog and in search of some answers. I may ramble on a bit but I greatly appreciate any support or advice. I have always struggled with my weight and can put it on fairly quick. If you saw me you'd laugh because I am fairly tiny, but my weight goes up and down constantly. I have been fluctuating from about 133 to 129 for a while now and my ideal weight is anywhere from 120-125. Its not much weight to lose, but I have the hardest time getting it off since I don't have much to lose. I really enjoy the South Beach Diet and think it works wonderfully, but I get tired of it after a while and it's hard when you are on a school and work schedule. I use to be able to take the weight off easily, but now it's just hard and frustrating and it's stressign me out which I don't want. If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice to maybe make me feel encouraged again I would appreciate it so much, thanks!
505Try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

If you don't want to do South Beach anymore, perhaps you need to choose a new plan. Perhaps WW, calorie-counting, or whatever else. Whole foods, Sugar Busters, YOU! on a Diet, etc.

Do you currently exercise? Particularly strength training; build some solid muscle and your weight will probably be more manageable, plus you'll look all sexy and toned and stuff.

Just...remember that you're lucky to only have a little bit to lose, okay? Some of us aren't so lucky.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #3  

Thank you so much, I know sometimes I have to think to myself about how lucky I am to be healthy and have what I have. I used to be very heavy as a kid and so I'm not toned very much so I think resistance training would be good. I really appreciate your advice and thoughts though because it is always good to hear it from someone else other than people who you are around all the time. Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Hey, and welcome. I was on South Beach this fall and lost 20. I went off in Jan. and have been maintaining my weight through sensible eating. I still think about whether I should go back to SB to lose 10 more.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Welcome!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Here is my advice. Don't stess over the scales, just be healthy. Eat healthy foods and stay active. If you live a healthy lifestyle then your body will decide it's proper weight. I understand that you feel you need to lose a few more pounds and it is very hard to lose the last few. But, I think you will benefit more if you don't think of it so much as a diet but a lifestyle. It will probably come off very slowly, but that is the best/safest way. You are also less likely to gain it back if you take it slow. I have A LOT more weight to lose than you, but I recommend the book "YOU on a diet" to anyone (even those who are at their target weight), it really helped me get in the proper mindset.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #7  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

505 Welcome & Good luck on your weight loss journey! You will find tons of support here! More than you could have imagined!

Casey I'm going to have to look into that book - it sounds interesting!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #8  

Thanks for all your advice. It really is helpful! I think I may want to get YOU on a diet. That is Dr. Oz from Oprah right? I really like that he stresses eating right and changing your lifestyle. South Beach does work really well, but it is hard when you have a crazy schedule. I graduate in May FINALLY and think it will be nice to actually have a routine and not be so stressed and then I can plan my meals and eat healthier. Thanks again, I am really happy I joined!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #9  
Chick working hard

S/C/G: 225/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Thumbs up I'm new this wonderful afternoon...

Hello ladies...I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and successes (and failures ) I am going through most of the same. I am a college student at the UA in Tucson AZ and I have been having such a rough time with my self esteem and my weight being the primary cause of the emotional rollercoaster. At one point in college while I was living in the dorms, I was a work-out-a-holic. I used to see those skinny girls in my dorm who were just naturally skinny, how skinny was so promoted as beauty, and the need to feel beautiful and it turned me into this even more overweight moster of a person. I feel right now like I need a miracle to keep me accountable and motivated. I've tried and bought so many useless things that it's really caused me to think that this is an impossible task.

Yet I see you ladies; dropping a pound is something to celebrate and I want to celebrate my own successes right along with you. I'm tired of being the big girl, of feeling hungry all of the time because my mind wants me to eat and fail and my heart doesn't. I feel icky when I eat that bowl of ice cream, yet feel like I'm missing out on something when I don't eat it.

I have roommates who are oblivious about their hunger and weight. Its something that they are not bogged down all day with. I think of my weight all day and I am tired of it. I want results and I am going to work hard at it. I just need you. I need your friendship and support because it's something that I am not getting at home.

Let me know of motivation that has kept you on task and I will be diligent to take it to heart and to consider it on my own journey.

Affirmation:
I will refuse the cake, ice cream and the sweets that I am so susceptible to binge and purge on.
I will be conscious that I am on a journey and it is through my daily choices that any type of loss will occur.
I will heed advice and use food not for comfort but for nourishment.

Thanks ladies and I look forward to reading your replies soon!
gotworktodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Gotworktodo: I know what it's like to have roomates who are oblivious to their weight and the foods they eat. It is very discouraging and hard when you are trying to be healthy. It was when I moved to college that I gained all of the weight. I'm not blaming my roomates because I was the one that was in control of what I put in my mouth, but it just makes it extra tough when you have people around you bringing you down. I'm going to be honest, it wasn't until I moved home and changed my environment that I started losing the weight. However, I didn't have the support of this website until then either. This site is amazing and I really believe that you can be succesful with the support you will find on here. When there are people around me that are oblivious to their weight and the foods they put in their mouth I just like to think of it as if I have a secret that they don't know about. While your roomates are eating that greasy mcdonalds and you are eating a nice green salad, and they say "man, I bet you want a french frie right about now." just laugh, because you are the one that is benefiting, you are the one that is on the road to a beautiful, healthy body. It's all about your mindset girl. Keep it positive and change your lifestyle for the right reasons. I'm rooting for you and so are hundreds of other girls just like you.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #11  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Hey gotworktodo, I'm right where you are. I am in college right now and living in the dorms. I see skinny girls all day long and it kills me. The pressure to be skinny is just too much sometimes.
I also know what you mean about sweets. I had that struggle today. I gave in to a bowl of ice cream because I felt like I was missing out.
This site has really helped me stay motivated. I log on here and read stories from people who are struggling just like me.
PM me if you ever want to talk!
-Lauren
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #12  

Hi Gotworktodo, being in college can be so tough. I am finally graduating but my first semester I moved to Tempe and went to ASU. I definitely gained the freshmen 15! I got up to 140, even though that is still still small, that was the most I ever weighed. I totally relate to you because living in the dorms was terrible with all the skinny girls. Don't worry abotu those naturally skinny girls its their genes and usually they dont even eat. I am just not naturally thin and really have to try hard to lose weight and keep it off. The dorm food was a disaster and I worked out so hard, but it didn't work. My bestfriend also gained weight while we were out there so at least I had someone to complain to. Try not to get discouraged. I think when you think about eating healthy rather than worryign abtou weight it helps a bit. I know its hard not to see results right away, but keep trying it will pay off. Maybe you can look into a gym or center that does weight loss competitions. There is one in my area called the Challenge and it is amazing I think I am going to join this fall. It's nice to do it with other people to keep you encouraged. If you want to see what I am talking about it is thechallenge.us. There are people in their 50's and 60's who do it and they really see changes in your body. I am only 22 and know if they can do it I can too. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #13  

Hi 505: It does sound like you might want to try something other than SB for a bit, see if it's something you can stick to. From what you've told us it sounds like you're having trouble making your healthy eating changes sustainable, which is the key to any new healthy living arrangement. Sounds like SB isn't sustainable for you... So in order to quit flip-flopping, you're going to have to find something that is! You can find out lots about these different programs on the forums here, there are individual sections for almost all of those programs. Plus, there's a section called "Featherweights," they might have some good advice for you too -- that's a forum specifically for people with just a little left to use. You all have your own challenges that those of us who still have a lot to go can't grasp as readily. (Not to say you shouldn't keep posting here! We'd love to have you around!)

worktodo: Funny thing about roommates, huh? I lost 20 lbs once because of the people I lived with..... They were great women who ate sensibly just out of nature, not diet.... None of them were stick thin but they were all happy with their bodies... It was a great influence. Now that I'm on my own I'm having trouble with accountability and find myself bringing bad stuff into the house all the time. If you feel like you're missing something without that ice cream... would an actual serving size of ice cream make you binge or feel icky? Try having 1/2 cup... You still get to be a part of whatever event you're celebrating and chances are you can make room once in a while in your diet for that. The key is not feeling like you're missing out on anything... The things you remove from your diet you have to be able to live without for a long time! Telling yourself you can never have a cookie ever ever, when peanut butter cookies used to be your favorite treat or something, is just setting yourself up to fail. Gotta find that happy medium
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #14  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Hi GotWorkToDo:

I totally relate about the roommate thing-- my roommate freshman year was about 90 lbs soaking wet and lived on double bacon cheeseburgers. I thought that if she could do it-- so could I-- and by the end of my soph. year I weighed 265-- the people you live with have a major influence on your habits-

You sound a lot like me, in that you are a sugar eater-- that's where my problems/cravings are-- I will eat beautifully all day long, but when faced with a cake-- it's all over (my biggest weakness is Pancakes, actually-- I havn't had them in almost 8 weeks--- HUGE thing.) I digress-- What plan are you on? I suggest trying something like South Beach that is aimed at reducing sweet cravings-- if you can stick to phase 1 for 2 weeks, you will be amazed at how you're not interested in those sweet things as much. Be careful not to deny yourself the occasional treat, though-- life is short enjoy cake -- but keep the goal in mind. Watch out for that purging stuff you mensioned, too-- that's an easy trap to fall into..

We're here for you !! You've got this, girl !!!!!

WELCOME TO BOTH OF YOU!!
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote