3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Nintendo Wii anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/110014-nintendo-wii-anyone.html)

caseygail21 04-16-2007 12:34 PM

Nintendo Wii anyone?

Does anyone here own a nintendo wii? My parents just bought one this past weekend and I was amazed. That is a good workout... especially baseball and tennis. My arms and hips are so sore today from swinging that bat, and it is sooo much fun! It's kinda pricey but I really reccomend them!:carrot:

jillybean720 04-16-2007 01:01 PM

I would freakin LOVE to get my hands on a Wii, but they are yet to be widely available around here. They are literally sold out within the hour whenever any stores get them in. I would have thought that they would be easier to get by now, but no...

I really wanted to get one for my fiance's birthday, which is today, but I couldn't find one anywhere around here (nor near my sister's home in Va Beach, nor near my parents in CT...) :( I could pay an extra $100 to get one from Ebay, but I can't support people ripping me off just to take advantage of the market, so I will just be patient. I have signed up with s ite for email notification of when they become available again in my area, but I really don't have the freedom to just up and leave my job to go get one when I get notification, so I doubt that will help.

Nikaia 04-16-2007 01:04 PM

I'm not all that big on the Wii. I've read reviews of the games available and I think I'm going to wait until there are some really good games available, and that's if I *ever* have the money to blow on another game console when I still have a perfectly good, if ancient, Xbox.

However, DDR can be a pretty good workout on that thing, so I'm not too worried.

Glad you're enjoying your Wii, though!

Spunkster5 04-16-2007 02:08 PM

i like them both but i really love yourself fitness on the xbox

shrinkingchica 04-16-2007 02:22 PM

I freaking want one too! But like Jill, there are simply NOT AVAILABLE in my area, sold out!!! Whahhh!

CecelliaStrick9 04-16-2007 03:32 PM

i would love a wii. boxing is awesome. its VERY intense. i played it for a half an hour, and i was sore for 2 days!

maalisse 04-16-2007 03:51 PM

Finally got one two weeks ago...had to use my "connections" (I work in the videogame industry), heh heh. So much fun! :)

I know that WarioWare isn't great as far as calorie burning is concerned, but I vote it as most fun party game ever! ;)

All you folks looking for one, expect to see more on the shelves soon; Nintendo is now officially in their new fiscal quarter, so they're going to start supplying them a bit more readily now...theoretically. :)

maegdaeien 04-16-2007 06:41 PM

My mom has a Wii because her boyfriend would go to the game shop every day and wait around! It's pretty awesome for her though because she's (temporarily!) in a wheelchair and she says that playing tennis and bowling on Wii is good physical therapy. :dizzy:

caseygail21 04-16-2007 06:59 PM

Yeah, I know what you guys mean about availability... I called about 9 different places and no luck, then I remembered there is a little wal mart in a small town (about 3,000 ppl) not too far from mine and they had some there, I was soo excited lol.

jillybean720 04-17-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maalisse (Post 1655302)
All you folks looking for one, expect to see more on the shelves soon; Nintendo is now officially in their new fiscal quarter, so they're going to start supplying them a bit more readily now...theoretically. :)

From the reading and searching and asking I've been doing (and I've been doing a LOT of it!), the next big shipment is said to hit stores on Monday 4/23 (at least bigger stores--EBGames and GameStop recieve shipments on Tuesdays, I believe). I'll probably miss out yet again since I'm off work on Thursday and Friday, so I can't very well just mosey on in late on Monday :dizzy: I work at 7am, so nothing's open before that. Maybe I'll head out on lunch that day to see if anyone has any left.

browneyedgirl77 04-17-2007 09:23 AM

I definitely want to buy one. DH and I are pretty hardcore gamers. I think I'm gonna wait a little while. I'm one of those unfortunate people who rushed out and brought a 360. I'm definitely paying for it now with the over heating problems I think I'll wait for the next gen Wii. Even though I haven't heard of any major problems other than the lack of wifi I think I'm gonna play it safe.

browneyedgirl77 04-17-2007 09:26 AM

Oh! Have you all checked your local Walmart I see that the ones here in Augusta, Ga usually have some in stock. Online sites might have it to checkout Sam's club they usually got great bargain packs where you get 2 controllers or something for a lot less.

jillybean720 04-17-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 (Post 1656148)
Online sites might have it to checkout Sam's club they usually got great bargain packs where you get 2 controllers or something for a lot less.

There aren't ANY online sites (aside from Amazon and Ebay and maybe Craigslist and the like where people are selling them for about $350 when retail is $250) that have stock. 99% of stores will not even let you order them online (including Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc.), and those that will only have expensive bundles (as in $500+, and they usually come with some games you won't even really want), and they all say the won't even have stock of the bundles until 4/23. Just thought I'd save anyone the time of searching since I have searched it all to death :dizzy:

Nikaia 04-17-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

I'm one of those unfortunate people who rushed out and brought a 360. I'm definitely paying for it now with the over heating problems I think I'll wait for the next gen Wii. Even though I haven't heard of any major problems other than the lack of wifi I think I'm gonna play it safe.
Hear, hear. That's exactly why I *never* buy first-gen tech. Well, that and I can never afford it at the prices that come with first-gen. ;) I'm still envious of people with the 360 though, overheating and all. My b/f has a PS3, so I'm trying to steal his PS2 to play FF on. Hehe. I must say, though, the graphics on the newer tech are just so pretty...*sniffle* It's touching. :P

maalisse 04-17-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 (Post 1656144)
I definitely want to buy one. DH and I are pretty hardcore gamers. I think I'm gonna wait a little while. I'm one of those unfortunate people who rushed out and brought a 360. I'm definitely paying for it now with the over heating problems I think I'll wait for the next gen Wii. Even though I haven't heard of any major problems other than the lack of wifi I think I'm gonna play it safe.

Well, if it's any consolation we've been using Wii's (well, Wii dev kits) for more than a year at work now, and have never had any problems. 360's, on the other hand... ;) Besides, a Wii is just a souped-up GameCube, so it's technically second-gen technology. Not like the 360 or *shudder* PS3 (which is SO HARD to develop for that I have gone from Sony Fangirl to GRRRRRRR).

...not trying to pressure you or anything; I just love talking about my life's passion. :3 *shuts up*

browneyedgirl77 04-17-2007 01:21 PM

I have to admit I do love my 360 but man does it piss me off when it decides to start freezing when playing games like rainbow6. Most irritating freezing experience occurred after playing oblivion for 5 hours and forgetting to save I actually cried. I'm holding off on the PS3 too many problems. It doesn't help Sony that great PS2 games are still coming out. Ex. God of war II, Guitar Hero II. My pride and joy though is my modded xbox. Dh and I own nearly every system dating back to super nintendo. So of course, we have to get a Wii, as well. Sadly, our 7 yr old DD is starting to get hooked on gaming too. Another incentive to get a Wii. I joke with my DH about rounding up some people who got the red ring of death from gaming sites to file a class action against microsoft. Paying $400 for something and having it break within a year for some people gotta be illegal. Especially since my xbox from the first gen still works excellently.

Nikaia 04-17-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Most irritating freezing experience occurred after playing oblivion for 5 hours and forgetting to save I actually cried.
:hug: I feel your pain, sister. I had a similar experience while re-playing Diablo cause I was bored the other day. Four hours or so, and I died (stupidly, I might add. Freaken exploding barrels. I'm an idiot. :rolleyes:)...and I hadn't saved once. I didn't quite cry because it's not like I was covering new territory, but still. It's frustrating to have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.

Quote:

I'm holding off on the PS3 too many problems.
My boyfriend has a PS3, as I mentioned, and I don't think he's had any issues with it so far...although I do agree with you about the games. That's why I want his PS2! :devil:

SavingServo 04-17-2007 03:09 PM

I love those things!
I really want one of myself, my boyfriend is pondering getting one over the summer... so if I just wait long enough... :D

WakeMeForSummer 04-19-2007 09:23 AM

HEY !! I mensioned this thread to my boyfriend the other day-- and guess what he bought yesterday! A WII! AND my arms are sore!

PurdueGal 04-19-2007 09:29 AM

My boyfriend has a Wii and I love playing it with him! They are so much fun! The tennis and boxing is a great workout! So is this game called Wario Ware. It's a lot of moving and fun!
Dance Dance Revolution is also a GREAT workout, and so much fun!

Jeannette311 04-19-2007 02:22 PM

I've been a fan of the Wii since June of last year when no one was really sure what to expect.... I can't find one anywhere here, but I do play it at friend's houses. I love bowling so much!

jillybean720 04-23-2007 08:48 AM

Just as a little update--I GOT A WII TODAY! I got to Target at about 8:02am (they open at 8). They had 3 in the case, and this other like 17 year old kid and I were standing there waiting for an associate to come unlock the case for us. I got the Wii, an additional remote controller, and Wario Ware. Tonight, we'll go shopping (Jeff has gift cards to GameStop/EB Games) and see if we can find another nunchuck controller and a couple more games (Paper Mario and Zelda). I'm so excited! I feel like a 9-year-old girl who finally got the pony she's been begging her parents for :p

WakeMeForSummer 04-23-2007 09:40 AM

Has anyone tried using wrist weights with their Wii ?

blueberry3 04-23-2007 04:32 PM

I have been wanting to ge tone. I played the bowling game once and had such a good time! I never thought of getting one for excersize, that is a great idea.

Eves 04-23-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakeMeForSummer (Post 1664610)
Has anyone tried using wrist weights with their Wii ?

Check out the "You know you're fitness freak when" thread in the Exercise forum. This totally belongs there.

WakeMeForSummer 04-24-2007 09:25 AM

LOL-- hey.. I'll trick myself into working out anyway possible!

carebear288 04-25-2007 02:39 AM

Thanks

I am new to this website and am trying to find a forem. this thread just stuck out to me because I too am a gamer. My brother has a Wii and I love it. I have not got me one yet because of the cost. I love the fact that a video game can help you exercise. I think that is alot of the reason I am overweight. I start playing video games and can't quit.
I just thought I would write something because it is kinda cool to know that there are others like me. A sounds corny I know. But I am new to this.

Well, best of luck to all.

Brinana 04-25-2007 02:48 AM

my boyfriend has a wii...I guess i get embarressed about using it for exercise...He's also got one of those dance dance revelution floor pads...
Maybe it's just a fear of looking stupid...
Other than that, I've heard that a lot of people have used wii games and the ddr game to lose weight
There is an awsome side of video games.
bri