Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Caloires

Good afternoon ladies. I was curious as to how you keep track of how many calories you burn. I know we can use the activities section of fit day, but I was curious as to whether or not anyone uses a heart-rate monitor watch that also counts calories burned. I don't even know if such a thing exists... =)

Let me know what you think

Aubrey

Last edited by KCWMU; 04-06-2007 at 01:49 PM.
KCWMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #2  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

It's not a HR monitor, but I use a device called a bodybugg (link) - you strap it to your tricep and it measures your body temp, movement, and galvanic response (basically sweat) and calculates your real-time calorie burn throughout the day.

I've been using it off and on for over a year, and while I can't say it's specifically helped me lose weight, it's NOT because of the device (i.e. it's my own commitment, etc). It's a great tool, though - it's shown me how much I really do burn when I'm active (up to 3500-3800 a day) and how little I burn when I'm lazy (some days as low as 2000 or so).

It's not cheap - $400 for the armband and the first 3 months' service, and $15/mo or $99/year for continued service, but it's been worth it to keep myself realistic - I know that eating 12-1500 calories a day doesn't work for me when I'm burning 3000+, but my "diet brain" still argues with me when I eat up to 2000 or more. This information helps me keep myself sane - I can look at the computer and SEE that I've burned plenty, that I've still got a 700-1000 calorie deficit for the day, and that it pays off when I weigh in.

If you want to know more precisely than the usual estimates (even readouts on treadmills, etc are still estimates), this is one heck of a tool to know exactly what your body's doing each day. Since weight loss is calories-out-vs-calories-in, it's pretty easy to keep on task when you KNOW both numbers!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #3  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

I have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor that tells me how many calories I burn. I only use it when I exercise but I really love it. It keeps me motivated and it takes all the guess work out of trying to figure out how many calories i burned while exercising. I have the Polor F6
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote