Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #16  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Look at you guys being all motivational. Got home from work and just did not let myself get cozy whatsoever got my running shoes and my mp3 player and hit the gym. Got wk3d1 of c25k done. I am starting at week three because it seriously has been forever since I ran. My body just aint used to it. Felt great though. Made me remember why I started running in the first place. Gotta get going if I am gonna make that Nike 5k huh Jen?
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #17  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

Wooohooo... i had energy today so i did 3 miles like it was nothing. Well ofcourse i didn't run it but i am getting better.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #18  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

We are a motivated bunch today! Let's see if we can carry it throughout the rest of the week... it is time for this girl to get back on track (literally and figuratively)
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #19  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

I need to - i sucked today - i fell asleep and didn't run this afternoon like I was scheduled too - guess I needed sleep from staying up all the night before too much - it's soo foggy out tonight - would almost go now - but it's kinda late - and I do have a lot to do! wed and thurs and friday (hopefully, my bday) are musts!
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #20  

bida - It's okay, next time you have/make time, go for a run. It's all about looking at the positive.

I'm scheduled for a 2 mile today.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #21  
Bida Bida Bida

yeah - went about 2.6 today - i was supposed to go 5 again but ran out of time - alas - at least I went (and I inspired the new boy toy to go)
Old 02-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #22  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Schedule calls for a run today...have the opp to work OT at lunch or I could fit it in then. Otherwise will have to resched for tomorrow. Tonight is a celebration night for my hubby's bday.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #23  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

Hi ladies, this is my first time posting in this runners thread. I ran/walk the Chicago Marathon in October 2006.It was always one of my goals to finish a marathon, and well laste year my husband and I said "let's do it". We started training using Hal Higdon's program, but then we fell behind and decided to do a run/walk program for the marathon. We finished in under 6 hours and I was ecstatic! Oh, yeah we did a couple of other events like the Chicago half (finished that in 2.5 hours) and the Nike 5 mile fun run.

Anyways, here's the question. My research group (I'm a grad student) has decided to register for the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle. Most of the people in my group is doing the 5K (3.1 mile) fitness walk portion, but my advisor wants me to run the 8K (4.97 mile) part with him. I don't know what to do. I have not ran really since the marathon (I've been doing 2.5 miles here and there) and today I hopped on the treadmill to see if I could run 5 miles. Well, I stopped after 2.8 miles and started walking. Then I ran again for about 5 min and walked again and then I ran for about 10 minutes and started walking for about 2 minutes. To make a long story short, it took me 61 minutes to finish and my average pace was 4.9 min/mil (I started off at 5.0 mil).

I have a mental block against running anything over 3 miles. I have run 4 miles straight during my marathon training,but I never did 5 miles. I know my body is able to do it, but mentally I always feel like I need to stop.

Ladies, do you have any advice on what I can do to run 5 miles straight? Do you think I can do it? I don't want to sign up for the run and then stop and my advisor is like "WTF I thought you finished a marathon!". Oh yeah, my advisor is 70 years old, and he said that he will be jogging. He works out 3 times a week though. Maybe I should just sign up for the 3 mil fitness walk and not embarrass myself.

Oh, do ya'll run with an IPOD? I borrowed my husband's IPOD once and it was much cooler to run with than my MP3 player.

Sorry for the long rambling post.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #24  
Let's do this!

Rai, First of all, Welcome! These girls will make you proud to call yourself a "runner". I think that is so cool that you did the marathon! My first inclination after reading that is to say, "5 miles? No sweat!!!" I too, have running blocks that I will have to overcome. My first hurdle is doing that ever important first race, which I'm doing in May (The Nike 5k). I don't think I've ever run 3.1 miles straight because I've never had the fire under me to do so. I know that when the time comes, my body will be ready and my mind will have to just catch up.

I think you can do it. We have a way of not really knowing what we're capable of until we just go out there and get the job done. I mean, you've run/walked a marathon! I don't think there's any doubt that you can physically do it.

As for running aides, when I run outside I don't really need my ipod unless I'm on a track as I'm usually distracted enough by my busy neighborhood (that and I worry about getting mugged!). I do find it necessary if I'm on a track or a treadmill and I find that I run much further on the street. However, I think BF is getting me the pink ipod shuffle that just clips on you and I might change my mind on that!

But yeah, I think you can do it (just judging by what you've written). You certainly won't know until you try. And if you have to stop, who cares? You know will make it to the finish line and it will be so rewarding once you do.

Man, a whole marathon. you certainly have my admiration!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #25  

You can certainly train up to 5 miles, given time (a month should be plenty since you can do 3 already). How much time do you have before the race?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #26  
Bida Bida Bida

61 minutes, btw is GREAT for a five miler - I would like you to know. So be proud. ESP. since you have not done one in so long.
I love running with music or a book on tape - it gives me the distraction and freedom to keep going - because I know the mental block that you are talking about - that is what happens to me when i go to the gym and I have done my cardio and most of my whatever and i"m like ok - i'm ready to go home even though I still have stuff to do - and I will cave and give up. I haven't figured out how to get through it yet - but if you do - please tell me!
run run run - i should have today - am visiting relatives and I swear we are like tired all the time.
B
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #27  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Ladies, thanks for all the motivation.
Bida, I guess I'm always a little ashamed of my times. I have a couple of other friends that also runs and they are all much faster than me. Hopefully, one day I'll be doing 8-9 minute miles with no problem!

Oh, the race is Sunday March 25. So that gives me enough time to train. Guess what??? I think I have that bug back in me. I have decided to sign up for the race. I ran today on this indoor track (9 laps is approximately a mile on this track), and I felt so good! My time was slower than the treadmill. I did 2.4 miles in 29 minutes and 31 seconds, but it felt so much better. I could have ran for longer, but I stopped because I was up to 23 laps and I told myself that I will run for 30 minutes and I didn't want to stop halfway through a lap. I know I am horrible! Anyways, I'm going try to follow the Chicago Area Running Association training schedule. If not, then I'll do Hal Higdon. My basic plan is to run at least 3 times during the weekdays for 30 - 40 minutes each. Then, I'm going to do the long runs outside (pray for me ya'll, I live out here in Chicago--but I'm originally from Brooklyn) according to one of those two training programs. If I can get to running 5 miles straight, then I am good. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to raise money for a charity. I was thinking about doing the American Cancer Society. But, I'm also thinking about signing up for the NY marathon (I'm one of those people that jump full force into an idea, but then lose interest after a while). I've always wanted to do the NY marathon and I figure since the bug is in me, then I should do it.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Hi Rai,

My usual morning run is 8 - 10kms or 5 - 6.2 miles. I normally get around that course in 40 to 50 minutes.

I found two ways to get through my mental block (I had one as well at about 3kms lol). One was to listen to music as I ran as this let my mind concentrate on something other than my body and it really helped me zone out and just day-dream really.

The second was running with another person...in this case my boyfriend (who happens to be 6'6 and i'm only 5'6...so you can imagine how many more strides my poor little legs have to do to match his lol). I am a naturally competive person and no way would I let him think I wimped out by walking :P so I ran the whole way...one i found i could do it once i've been fine with doing it since.

I've never run a marathon. I ran in the City to Surf which is about 8.6 miles or 14kms last year and will hopefully be running it again this year but thats about it.

Liv
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:29 AM   #29  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyria View Post
...in this case my boyfriend (who happens to be 6'6 and i'm only 5'6...so you can imagine how many more strides my poor little legs have to do to match his lol

I'm pretty sure that would kill me. I'm kind of like Seabiscuit in that way. I am not competetive in the slightest (athletically, that is) and if I trail even a little bit I just lose all hope. Wow. You must have some insanely powerful legs (and lungs!!!)

Last edited by junebug41; 02-14-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #30  

I did 2 miles the other day. I plan to do 2-3 tonight after work.

6 miles. sheeesh, my legs would give out! Good job.