Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #16  

Welcome, John!

Tracy had a good piece of advice -- try hanging on to your old habits for one more week (or if you find you can't stand it, three days or so), but be totally aware of everything you eat. Write it all down with amounts. If you're really good at keeping up, write how you feel 30mins-1hr after eating. You'll probably start to notice trends in how you feel after you eat certain things, like high-sugar or generally high-carb. If you start comparing your portion sizes to the recommended portion sizes you'll make BIG progress just in getting your head around this healthy thing!!

Another approach is to pick one thing you eat regularly that you know you shouldn't and eliminate it. Just pick one thing and don't even think twice. If you normally have a can of soda with lunch, decide to have water instead. That alone will cut out 200 cals or more (depending on the size of the can/bottle)!

Anyway, good luck! We're here for you. There's a wealth of information here, I hope you take advantage of it! And if you have any questions, you know where to find us....
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 339.6/339.6/200

Height: 6'0

wow you girls are awesome! thanks for the advice and the good vibes. oh and ps... i think fast food will be the TOUGHEST thing for me to kick. its just so easy. but i bought stuff for sandwiches so i can curb some of the hunger craving. thanks again and i look forward to talking to you all!!

john
jnewmanrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #18  
Proud Marine Wife

S/C/G: 201.5/199/150

Height: 5'7"

Watch the movie Supersize Me if you haven't already, and if you have watch it again for the nutrition benefit....you won't really want fast food again. I can barely tolerate a regular fast food burger anymore, so it's usually chicken or something that I don't feel so bad about. The guy that did the movie would actually crave it like a drug and start feeling depressed, then once he ate it he would feel so much better and happy.

TracyFAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #19  
Chuggin' along...

Hi John,

to the 20-somethings board! I have tried never to think of this as a "diet" but rather a lifestyle change. It's not something I begin and end, rather something I began eight years ago and have continued for my well-being throughout life. This has helped me make little changes rather than just try to make one big one.

We are all very supportive here and I look forward to your posts!

Megan
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #20  

I've totally had the addicted-like-a-drug reaction to McDonald's. (and I'm talking recent, too... It barely takes 3 days of having the stuff to get the cravings.) It's hard to get out of. Jeesh. Fast food is easy, I'll agree with you... so the trick is to make it so there are other, better things within reach that are even easier. Sandwich stuff is a great idea. I compensate by making giant pots of soups and chilis and freezing them in individual portions -- instant lunch! I just grab one in the morning and don't have to think twice. So the trick is to find a way to compensate.

And remember, getting healthy doesn't mean you have to give up hamburgers and french fries forever.... Even if you buy frozen fries that you bake yourself they'll be way better than fast food fries, and a 100% extra-lean ground beef patty made with your own two hands will be MUCH more satisfying than the soggy lump of whatever it is they pass off for hamburgers at fast food places ever could be!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote