20-Somethings BL Corner Temporary forum for Biggest Loser Challenge

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #166  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

Height: 5'3"

My Halloween went well and did pretty good with my eating. I even saw a loss this morning, down .4! Yay
Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Monday Question~ What is one exercise you have thought about trying, but have never gotten around to? Why?
I never got around to getting a YMCA membership. They have different group fitness classes M-F evenings, which is something I've always been interested in doing. Why not? Probably money. I wouldn't do bank withdrawals, so it would be at least $200(?) Not sure, but knew it was a lot.. still cheaper than dance studios and Curves, but quite a lot of cash to come up with.

I'll say this.. BF said I can lose just as much at home as elsewhere and he was actually right. For month of October (30 days) I lost 8 lbs.. that's the same amount I lost during the FIT Challenge (90 days). During the FIT Challenge I'd work out 5+ hours a week, but still ate fast food 3-5x/week... Last month I set the goal to work out 3 hours/week and to eat right (and actually have been).

Regarding Halloween eating... I ate 1 Fun Size Snickers, 1 single Twizler and an entire bag of microwave fat free popcorn. Not to mention an entire Monster Java can (between yesterday and today). Yeah, I gained half a pound...

Are y'all doing the weekly challenges? Good stuff.

Ah, and this is now on my Wish List: ZUMBA on Nintendo Wii!! (releases in about 20 days; also coming out on 360 and PS3)

Stacy, your Toothless is adorable! Kiddo and I love that movie

Peanut, Thank you! My fuzzies (L to R) are Snowball, Tigger, Weasel

Congrats to everyone on their progress successes. It may take us a while but if we stick with it, we'll get there!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #168  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

ferretgirl~ Zumba on Wii sounds fun!!!

JennieLovesKisses~ Great job on your loss this week!!!

katybelle~ Don't let the skinny girls intimidate you! I've heard that yoga and pilates are amazing classes to burn massive calories, if you want, maybe someone here will try one of those classes for the first time the same day or week with you. Then you'll have someone to chat about 1st timing it with! Did you have fun at the parties?

Krizstyling
~ Definitely get in some Zumba at some point, it is SO MUCH FUN!!! Dilly beans are green & yellow beans that are made like dill pickles (I made almost 20 jars of them), but they are SUPER crunchy and hold a lot more flavor!

JMfan~ I hope your stress decreases soon!

stacylambert~ Great job staying away from the candy on Halloween! I love "dirt!" I would think, although it's not great for you, that it was a much better option then candy.

oOPeanutOo~ Indoor rock climbing is definitely an exercise! Sorry to hear about your fall! I hope you heal soon!

Jelbelle~ Halloween was little rough, definitely had a few pieces of candy. I'm proud of only having a few though as normally I would sit with a whole bag and finish it off!

toastedsmoke~ How was day 1???

QOTD~ I have always wanted to get in on a spin class, but have never gotten myself up early enough to get in there. I admit that seeing the guys and gals in their bike shorts with their special bike shoes going in in the evenings is a little intimidating, but it's more that I have been too lazy to get my butt in there.

Today has been a LONG day! My student is back in school, but full of spit and fire and he is now WAY BEHIND everyone else. Plus I don't think he really feels that well still. I have to work at the restaurant tonight, so this is just a fly by with a Depending on how late I get out tonight, I may or may not check in again tonight. I will try to, at the very least, get the next discussion question up later tonight... but I'm not promising... it may have to wait until tomorrow morning...
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #169  
*Bringin' Sexy Back*

S/C/G: 226/217/135

Kiml1214 and Stacylambert: Thank you so much! Love the encouragement

Peanut: Thank you for the avatar comment My boyfriend and I were watching my dad and brother's band play, and decided to take a silly, yet cute picture, and I wanted to share it.

So, I was suppose to start 30 DS this morning with Toastedsmoke and KimL1214. I got up early, weighed myself since it is November 1st to see if I've made my goal, and started getting my lunch ready for work, when I got super sick to my stomach. Needless to say, I called out of work, and have been in bed all day, fighting nausea My boyfriend is such a doll, he went out to the store just to buy me soup and ginger ale, and rented me Sex and the City 2.... LOVE it!!! Though I'm super sick, I am so happy to report that I made my minigoal!!!!!! I am officially in Onederland, weighing in at 199.8!! I'm probably even smaller now, but that doesn't exactly count. i am very sorry to not have started the 30 DS, but at least I have this to report Toastedsmoke, and Kiml1214, I will be joining you both tomorrow, and may do a double session to catch up!

Today's Question: I would love to try training for an ironman! I think that would be an awesome, yet super challenging workout experience!

Jelbelle's Halloween Question: My Halloween was great! I did cheat a little, but only ate a fun sized m&m pack. First bite of chocolate in over a month... maybe part of the reason why I'm sick today. Chris, my boyfriend, and I went to a good friends house out in the middle of nowhere, and I shot a gun for the first time... something I never thought I'd do, but not bad honestly. Then we played with 2 week old golden retriever pups, sooo cute! Ended the day by having dinner at the future in-laws, and passing out candy to the trick or treaters. Lovely day! I hope you had a wonderful day as well!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #170  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

KimL1214: Thanks for the advice. I stretched before bed and took a warm bath and felt wayyy better this morning. I did the 30DS this evening too. It was good... not super easy, but definitely less sweaty and not as hard as I remember from doing the 30DS. What about you? How'd you find it? Are you just going to do the 30-day slimdown, or will you be supplementing it with other workouts? Anyway, day 1 completed, 29 to go! Wooot!

princessdi86: Sorry you weren't feeling well today! But yay for the super BF taking good care of you and even bigger YAY and CONGRATS for being in onederland!!!! Go you!!!! Congratulations!!! Hopefully you feel well enough to join Kim and I tomorrow, if not please continue to take it easy!!! Feel better and congrats again!

ferretgirl: Zumba for Wii!!!! So cool! I hadn't even heard about it! I've also wishlisted it now!!! Do you play any other Wii fitness games? Which ones?

oOPeanutOo: Sorry about your fall off the ladder. Ouch! Thankfully, it wasn't worse. I hope you're feeling better with the sprain and back pain; I'm definitely sending healing thoughts and prayers your way. Feel better!!

Today's Question: I think I'd love the confidence to join ANY sort of gym-offered class at all. I just managed in September to get the confidence to actually start working out at the gym, but I still don't feel confident enough to engage with anyone enough to join a class, so right now I just do my own thing. But someday, I'd like to try spinning, or water aerobics, or like a regular aerobics class of some kind.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #171  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

toastedsmoke~ Good to hear you're not feeling as sore! I did manage to find the other DVDs at Walmart this weekend, so I will be doing the program listed on that thread you linked a few pages ago. I'm also going to try and get to the gym at least 2-3 times/week, plus my co-worker and I will be hiking are mountain (tomorrow is the weather holds). I would suggest Zumba as a good class to start out with. Everyone looks silly trying to salsa and belly dance, so you get a good laugh while getting a good workout!

princessdi86~ I love golden retrievers!!! I'm so sorry to hear you had a miserable sicky day I hope you feel better soon! Glad to hear that you had a fun Halloween, sucks if that is what made you sick, but at least you had fun!

Tuesday & Wednesday Question~ Do you have mini-goals (if no, it’s really important that you make some for yourself)? How do you break your mini goals down, by weight only, or by NSVs as well?

I'll answer the question tomorrow when I have a little bit more time.

Stupid french fries at work. I planned out my dinner perfectly, was doing great, and then we had no customers... One of the other girls was eating fries, and without even thinking about it, I ordered some. Ugh. At least we got super busy later on, or I should say I got super busy. The hostess let all the other girls off because it was so slow and then I had 8 tables come in within 10 minutes of each other. I was running all over the place trying to keep up with everything!

Well I need to crash if I'm gonna get my butt out of bed early to get in my Jillian workout! Quads are a lil sore right now... can't imagine what they're going to be like by tomorrow night after I not only did 30DS, but hiked a mountain as well!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone for the congrats, it means a lot to me!!

princessdi86: I got sick off the chocolate too! It just didn't want to be eaten I guess. Hopefullynext time I'll take the hint! That sounds like an interesting and fun Halloween, much better than mine!

Kim: Aww hun, not good! I hope next time you'll make a better decision. Maybe you could bring some munchies along with you? Like carrot sticks or yogurt for your downtime?

Question of the Day: I have lots of goals and mini-goals. Not all of them are weight-related, although there are a good few. I have goals to stay away from things (fast food, soda) for certain amounts of time, and goals to do things not really related to weight loss, or I'll have a goal to get a certain amount or type of exercise in. This month I want to log 30 hours at the YMCA. I also want to try that Tai Chi class. I just have tons of goals, because I neeeeeed motivation!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

To answer the question about how Halloween went.... mine was great! I stuck to plan. I went to a party at a friend's house and we took all of the kiddos trick or treating. I knew they would be having hot dogs and didn't want to waste about 300 cals on one so I just brought my own Turkey dogs and ate one of those in a wheat bun they had. Everyone there knows that I am dieting but it was nice to be eating sort of the same thing as everyone else They also had gumbo and tons of sweets and I resisted it all (which was hard mainly because I LOVE gumbo!!) I only ate one snack sized pack of skittles as my dessert. I could have had more if I had wanted because I had some extra unused calories at the end of the night but I wasn't really wanting anything else. I try to not totally limit any sort of food while dieting. I find that if I am craving candy, I just go get one chocolate bar or a small pack of m&ms or skittles and have it. I just have to make sure I stay within my calories for the day. It has been very helpful in keeping me from wanting to binge and definitely helped a lot at halloween because I didn't feel the need to eat tons of candy. I can have it (in moderation) whenever I want.

As far as mini goals, I am all about them!! I love reaching new mini goals and they have helped me tremendously in this weight loss journey. Just when I feel like I am in need of some motivation, I hit a new mini goal and have something to celebrate and be rejuvenated by. You can see my mini goals at the bottom of my signature. I am only 1 lb away from my next mini goal (a pretty big mini goal for me ).

Last edited by southernbelle102; 11-02-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 279/See Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Ugh... Halloween was definitely rough for me, BUT I did take my lovely puppy (dressed up as a lobster, see the new avatar) for a two mile walk through the neighborhood while all the trick-or-treaters were out, and I took an hour walk through a corn maze with my fiance as well. Luckily all of my exercise cancelled out the calories I consumed in those yummy snack size Kit Kat's, and then some.

Question of the Day -- I like to make my mini-goals both in weight loss, percentages, and NSVs. (I'm an accountant so I love numbers and ratios... go figure that the majority of my mini-goals are percentage based!) I have my MAIN mini-goals in my signature, but I feel that I every day that I successfully stick with my diet and exercise is a mini-victory as well.

Last edited by excitedtolose; 11-02-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #175  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Kim - Did you get enough sleep? Were you able to get up and get that workout in? I hope so!

Tuesday & Wednesday Question~ Do you have mini-goals (if no, it’s really important that you make some for yourself)? How do you break your mini goals down, by weight only, or by NSVs as well?

I set mine mostly by weight. It is just easier for me that way =) However I DO reward myself. For instance at the end of every 4 week cycle of working out 5-6x a week I will go out and eat and I will get fries =) Just one order, not two like before. But that is really my only food reward just because I don't like telling myself I CAN'T have something if I want it, I just put a limitation on it.

I also reward myself for NSV's. Massages, etc. It all just depends on what the NSV is. I haven't had too many YET but a couple is just fine with me =)

Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:

Right now, my goals are mostly weight-related. Just easier to see change that way; but at the same time.. I know muscle weighs more, so if I don't lose lbs but get stronger, that's fine. As for making mini-goals, I just set them low enough that they're attainable. Last month was to get down to 130 (achieved, starting at 134), so this month will be to get down to 120 (starting at 127). Oh- a real "mini" goal for me is to workout 3 hours a week (considered a NSV if I achieve exercise goal).

toastedsmoke: The only other Wii fitness games I've tried are the Wii Sports (think it comes as a freebie when you buy the console). Some people consider that an fitness-game, but I think its probably too easy. There's a bunch of dance ones out, but DDR is hard for me (stepping on time) :P I bought Pokemon SoulSilver for Nintendo DS last weekend. It has a pokeball-shaped pedameter, which counts your steps and lets you stick a pokemon inside so he can level up and get cool items the more you walk

Sounds like everyone's doing well, mostly. We lost more lbs. than Team Storm for week 1, lol, so yay for us! Congrats to everyone who's reaching (and reaching towards) their mini-goals

My two-cents on group-workouts: if you're interested in trying one, go for it! Ask if they'll let you try or buy a trial (could be 1 class or 2 weeks). If they have a website, look under the FAQs. Chances are someone's already asked what you're thinking (am i ready for/can i take this class? requirements? etc). Or, ask one of the intructors (in-person or over phone). Let them know your concerns and questions. They'll tell you if the class is for ANYone or if there's something easier for newcomers to start with (such as a beginner's yoga/pilates/zumba). A lot of places make the classes for ALL fitness levels or if they see you struggling, they'll show you an easier step/version, so you're still getting the workout, just taking it to your level. With groups workouts too, its ok to pause when you need to; just stop to catch your breath, sip some water, and get back in when you can (Some of this paraphrased from my Zumba and Kickboxing dvds; about 'doing as much as you can' and 'sticking to your comfort level').
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #177  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
I have micro goals-5lb increments
Mini Goals- 210lbs, 199lbs, 180lbs, 160lbs
My only real NSV is my thighs...when they stop rubbing together, I've done a good job, lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Oof, sorry that I've been away for so long! I got back from vacation on Sunday night and have been crazy busy ever since. I can't believe how much has been discussed since I went away!

Anyways, I was glad to see that my rather horrifying four pound weight gain seems to have been a product of weighing myself at night directly after a plane flight and a hasty meal. It's dropped pretty quickly since Sunday night, and I'm now at 134.7, which is only .7 more than I weighed before leaving. Phew!

I have several mini goals. They were initially weight based, but they've since grown to include exercise goals and other NSVs. Reaching the weight goals keeps me going, but the exercise goals are the most challenging, and the other NSVs are most rewarding.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

I posted this in the general support part of the forum but wanted to see what all of your thoughts were as well...

I have been taking 3 different supplements for about a month... a multi vitamin, a fish oil caplet and a biotin caplet. On Saturday, after I took them, I became really nauseous in my car but didn't actually throw up. It passed and I felt okay after that. Today, I took them while I was eating my breakfast and then like 30 min later I got that same sick feeling. However, this time I threw up everything in my stomach. I feel okay now and don't think I am sick. I think it must be the supplements. I wanted to know if any of you have experienced the same thing while taking supplements. Also, how do you think I should handle this? I really don't want to stop taking them. I was thinking maybe I should eat breakfast then take one of them in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night(with food). Maybe taking those all at one time is just to much on my stomach?? Let me know your thoughts, please.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 198/186/150

Height: 5 ft. 7 in.

Today's question: In the past when I've tried to lose weight, I had mini goals but they were always so unrealistic, and that might have been why I wasn't so successful. Now, I've made very realistic mini goals with general deadlines (in fact, I've been achieving them sooner than I planned for) and I also have some rewards planned out, like buying a book or new body wash or a workout DVD. They're mostly scale based goals though. Any NSVs that I've had were more like "oh hey! These old jeans fit me again! Neat!" rather than me actually working towards them. Although being able to walk without my thighs touching is something I'm looking forward to. They definitely touch less I'm noticing.

southernbelle: I take a vitamin everyday, and more than once I've felt nauseous or gotten sick after taking it. One time it was because I actually hadn't eaten breakfast, but sometimes if I don't take it soon enough or don't eat enough for breakfast I feel sick. I seem to feel sick pretty easily, but I would imagine that if I was taking three supplements instead of one I would have the same problem! I think it's a really good idea to try taking them at separate times of the day. It's worth a try, at least. Good luck!
Closed Thread