Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #1  

Default Hi I'm new

Hello! My name is Lacey. I'm 24 years old And anymore its not only that i don't like the way I look but its to the point where just walking around walmart or somthing makes me winded. I really need to lose some wieght.

My husband is in the Marine Corps and just recently deployed. It has given me alot of time to think about what i want to do with the year that he is going to be gone. And the one thing I want to do is lose weight and go to the gym. I would like to lose about 80lbs before he gets home. I know its going to take alot of hard work and dedication but I just don't know where to start or what to do. My goal is 2-4lbs a week. They say thats what healthy and a way to keep it off once you take it off.

I guess I was just wondering for those of you who have lost alot of weight how you did? Whats a great way to do it? Any help would be awsome!! thanks!!!

Last edited by devildogsdoll; 01-14-2008 at 11:51 PM.
devildogsdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

The best way to lose weight is to follow a plan that you can stick with for life, not just a fad. You might want to try several different methods to see what works for you.

Welcome to 3FC! Try joining one of the challenges to help get you off to a great start!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Lacey!!

Surf around - tons of helpful info and people here.

Just food for thought - healthy weight loss is generally considered to be 1-2 pounds a week, over the course of a year it's entirely possible to lose 100 pounds.

For me - the plan that worked was calorie counting and exercise. At first I just walked, later I added weight training and biking and just recently jogging.

There's a summary of different plans here

Also- thanks to your husband and you for the sacrifice you are making for US.

Last edited by chick_in_the_hat; 01-14-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #4  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Lacey
It's wonderful to have you!

This really is possible for us to succeed at...we can do it!

Imagine the look on Hubby's face when he gets home!
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #5  
Larissa

S/C/G: 250/196/140

Height: 5'6"

I too am new to the site! I am 23 years old and have recently lost 50 pounds. I am trying to lose another 50 this year. I decided that my "diet" had to be a life plan that I would stick to forever. I honestly eat as healthy as I possibly can and make it a MUST to go to the gym at least 5 days a week. You can do this and so can I!
Larissa84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #6  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I count calories. I have between 1500-1800 monday through saturday and 2000 on sunday. Sunday is the day that I allow myself to splurge a little. I eat a meal that I have been wanting that may be Higher in calories or if I want cookies or whatever it is. I also try to drink 8 glasses of water a day and do atleast 30 of exercise m-f.
when I actually stay on plan and do what I am supposed to I lose about 1.5-2 pounds a week.

Last edited by dek6; 01-14-2008 at 11:06 PM.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!! You'll get enough advice on diets without my opinion, but---

I highly, highly recommend reading a book that will go with any diet. It's about changing your thinking about food and it works. I'm about half way through the book and it's made a huge difference in how I feel about dieting. I'm starting to think like a skinny person, just like I did years ago when I was skinny. I never thought I would stop being obsessed with food, but I am. Look around at the posts on some of the boards here. Many people are still obsessed with food. You can let it go. Your library probably has it. It's called The Beck Diet Solution by Beck.

You can do this. I'll be here for at least a year plugging away and hope you'll keep coming back too.

Last edited by missy3gal; 01-14-2008 at 11:33 PM.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #8  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

hiya im new too i am doing good so far i exercise for an hour a day and am on a 1800-1900 calorie a day diet the internet daily needs calculators average daily needs intake at 2450 cal so i just took off 500 or so of what it said and its working a charm.. fitday helps me heaps in figurinjg out where i can improve things .

I love aerobics classes and do it every day for 30 minutes i also have an elliptical trainer which i do 9 km in 30 minutes and i do pilate and weight training also i do 2 activities a day usually . Fits day doesnt have the exat work out i do so i just put in something close lol. I think im representing my intake outake acuratly though.
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #9  

All good advice above, so I just want to welcome you to the site and wish you good luck. There isn't one reason you can't reach your goals!
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome.

I'm a calorie counter. That's what works for me. It's the only thing that allows me to set limits for myself and gives me portion control. I make those very high quality calories, wanting to get the most for my calorie allotment. Low fat proteins and tons and tons of veggies - think fiber. Both these things are very filling and leaves me satisfied. The junk food I was eating always left me craving for more and more of it, so I had to mostly elminate it. In fact in the beginning I TOTALLY elminated it. I never felt the deprived or the need to "cheat", I figured I was finally NOT depriving myself anymore - of the life I really wanted. A healthy, fit, trim, active and productive one.

I also find planning is ESSENTIAL. Eating healthy does not happen by chance. It must be planned for in advance. Always have good healthy foods on hand, even for work and traveling. Always know what you are going to eat in advance. This way there's no reason to eat the "bad stuff".

Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Lacey! I'm so glad you decided to join us.

I've not lost a ton of weight yet, but I highly recommend any plan that allows you to eat a healthy variety of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, whole grains and healthy fats. Counting calories is also a great option as it is also very easy to overeat on healthy foods. (This continues to surprise me!) I follow the Southbeach diet which works very well for me. Many others here have followed Weight Watchers and had great results. Or, you can develop you own plan and track your calories on a site like Fitday. Also, for me, I find that some form of aerobic exercise is a must or the pounds do not drop. Walking is always a great option. The Walk-Away-The-Pounds workouts by Leslie Sansone are also a great ways of getting exercise. Your choices are limitless.

Please post often so we can get to know you.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-15-2008 at 07:16 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #12  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

Good Luck!! I think you'll find that the support you get here at 3FC will be really helpful. I know it is for me!

And bless your husband for fighting for our freedom!! We pray to keep all our soldiers safe
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

So glad to have you!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #14  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! This site is great to help you stay on a plan and stay motivated.
I personally count calories. It is the only thing I found that doesn't feel like a "diet", it's definitely more of a way of life. It helps me to know that no food is off limits, I just need to fit it into my calories for the day. I use a program through my gym to track my calories but I have used the Daily Plate and liked it. I do 1800-2000 calories a day, with exercise 5-6 days a week. Exercise is really important, get up and move. Do what you can.
No plan works for everyone so don't get discouraged if the first thing you try doesn't work. Just keep coming back here for advice!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #15  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

As I'm sure you've already seen, there is no shortage of wonderful advice here at 3FC. There are people following plans from Atkins to Weight Watchers, all with success. My advice to you is to read through some of the different forums and settle on a plan that you feel you can stick with for the long term. I believe failure comes in when people look at this process as a diet.....a diet sybolizes something that will end. This has to be a major change....a lifestyle change....for you to be successful! You can do this!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote