Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #1  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Southern French Dressing

I've been playing around with low-cal homemade dressings, and I really like this one. It probably didn't hurt that I had 6 or 7 cans of condensed tomato soup to use up. I use an oil substitute (water and cornstarch) which usually means you have to cut back on the hot ingredients. I use sugar substitute as well (usually less than the sugar mentioned). It makes a good 2 cups. The original recipe called for double, but it makes too much for just me. You can freeze the 1/2 can of tomato soup and use it for the second batch.

Southern French Dressing

1/2 tsp paprika
4-6 Tbsp splenda sweetener (orig. recipe called for 1/2 cup sugar)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp black pepper (orig. recipe called for 1/2 tsp)
1-1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp prepared horseradish (orig. recipe called for 1/2 tsp)
1/2 medium onion, grated (I tend to use 2 tsp dried, ground up)
1/2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup oil substitute (orig. recipe called for vegetable oil)
1/2 clove garlic, peeled

Oil substitute - mix 1 cup of water with 1 Tbsp of cornstarch. Heat on the stove, stirring until thickened. Cool and use instead of oil in salad dressings. I tend to make 2 cups at once and put it in the fridge until needed.

In a medium bowl, stir together the paprika, sugar, salt, mustard powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, onion, tomato soup, cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Beat with an electric mixer. Do not use a blender (I use a blender - works fine). Pour into a jar. Skewer the garlic clove on a toothpick, and place into the jar (I use chopped garlic and add it to the blender). Refrigerate until needed.

-----

As you can see, I rarely make an original recipe as written. In the above, with 6 Tbsp of splenda, with dried onion, the recipe makes about 2 cups.

Complete recipe - 230 calories

2 Tbsp is approximately 15 calories.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote