Old 01-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #51

Good Evening, Flowers! We started our day early because Bob had to be at church to usher first service. I played bells at second service and left as soon as we were finished since I had already been to first service. This afternoon I worked on laundry and sorting through the piles. I am not ready for it to be Monday tomorrow -- seems like I had no weekend time to call my own.

"Gma" -- The sweater turned out really nice. I love the pin -- I'm sure your friend will enjoy wearing both. Do you feel like you see Butterscotch out of the corner of your eye? I did for the longest time and it was such an eerie thing. One of my "deck" cats has decided she likes me best and is trying to come inside. She peeks in the door and meows. I'm thinking someone dumped her because she will come right to me when I call. Bob says, "don't even say hello to her!" She is the one who looks like she is wearing a mask.

Susan -- You must have needed the sleep if you could sleep 12 hours straight! I hope you are feeling rested. I can remember when I was a kid and always thought my haircuts were too short. My mom would always remind me that it would grow out. Wash and ready to go would be my idea of a great hair style!

I'm heading to bed. Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all! It is going to be another great day. We sure are having a mild winter, one day warm, one day cool, but hasn't really gotten cold at all except occasionally at night. I told Jack yesterday I look forward and dread spring, look forward to warm weather again and dread because I have to go in for surgery and muck up most of my summer swim time.

Susan: The haircut before last the woman messed it up so much the only thing I could do was wear it like it was a bowl cut. I couldn't spike it at all and she cut into my cowlicks instead of the way it was supposed to be done so it was a total mess. I had to put up with that for about 10 weeks until it grew out enough for someone to fix. When I went again, I told the woman about it and she said that that particular person never listens to anyone including the customers just does her thing. She apologized and said from now on to come in and get it redone for free or if it can't be fixed they give you a free cut the next time, but it was right after my surgery and I couldn't face sitting in that chair. I kept this girl's name and will ask for her from now on as she did a great job this last time.

My son knew how upset I was about B and sent this picture. Is it not adorable? Jay keeps telling us as soon as Jackson is old enough he is going to get him into martial arts, but this is ridiculous! It does look like he is ready to put that foot into a kick and do the yell though, doesn't it?

Jean: I keep doing silly things with regards to the cat, like I started to ask Jack on Saturday at the commissary if we needed cat litter, I got up to come in here to post and picked up the dangling yarn so he wouldn't pull it off the table, stuff like that. He was always so ornery when we made the bed, jumping on it and we would put him down and jumping on, etc. Last night Jack and I stood and cried just putting on the clean sheets. I actually think I hear him meow more than anything and start to go look for him to make sure he isn't locked up somewhere accidently. I know little by little it will lessen, but it is pretty hard right now.

Well, today is clean the upstairs day and the dog refuses to do it, Jack went to work, so that leaves me! I guess I better get started and get it done for the day.

Have a good start to your week!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:15 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! We're back to cold, damp weather again - 44 degrees at noon! Must be winter.

Faye, Jackson is adorable. I still miss the cat we had before Cupid. She was a "talker". She'd be waiting for me at the door and start and meow as I came and follow me upstairs and kept on meowing - just like she was telling me about her day. She'd carry on a conversation - you talk, she'd answer. If I could have understood Cat we'd have been in business!

More later!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! Bob is at church for practice and I am home "alone" except for "Mom" and a "deck" cat who is determined to get inside the house. One of the teachers is looking for a cat so I'm hoping she will take this one. It is cold here in my corner of the world tonight . . . 5 degrees and going below 0 tonight. BRRRRR!

"Gma" -- I had to laugh at Jackson's picture! He sure is cute. We had one cat who loved to help make the bed. She would get under the fitted sheet and then Bob would tickle her. As soon as she found his finger she would follow it all around the bed. She like to sleep under the blankets too. None of our other cats ever paid any attention to making the bed. "Mom" likes to lay on the blanket when I preheat the bed at night. When it gets really cold she will stay there all night. If one of us happens to touch her with our feet, she will give a little meow like she is telling us she is still there. I wish I could send you the "deck" cat!

Susan -- I'll take your 44 degrees and you can have my 5! It's funny how different cats are, just like people. "Mom" is a talker sometimes. Hope Stan is feeling better today.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies. It is quite cool this morning but I think it is supposed to warm up some.

We got the most gorgeous embossed pet sympathy card with handwritten notes from the vet and the vet techs. I just sat and cried. I thought it was so sweet for them to care enough not only to send a card, but each one wrote a little note inside.

Jean: We have decided against getting another cat or even another yorkie, which we have long thought about. It is so hard when you have to put them down that we just don't want to go through it again as we know eventually we will have to deal with it with Fortune when he gets old. My sister offered to bring me one of her cats from California, but it was just a decision the two of us made together not to bring another pet into the house. Fortune is a bit confused about him being gone, but there is nothing we can do. Jack tells him, "He's not coming back buddy," when he seems to act like he looking for something.

Susan: Butterscotch talked to me all the time. We carried on conversations. I would talk and he would give me a quick meow back then I would talke and he would answer. It was pretty funny. He wouldn't do it with anyone else. He also taught himself to sit for treats like Fortune does. That was always a hoot and he would groom Fortune and Fortune would return the favor! So we had lots of funny and sweet things to think about with him.

I have a totally lazy day today so I am going to work on the second sweater, which is a beautiful red. I am deciding whether to make it all red and buy a pretty scarf to match or stripe it or something. I just started the bottom but I only have one more row until I start the body of the sweater so I have to decide so I can make a design for it if I wish. I am leaning towards just getting a scarf as I will have a lot of red left over if I make it more that one color and will have to either order or go out and buy other colored yarn.

Well ladies, time to go. Hope you have a great Tuesday.
Faye
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  

It's snowing! But 40 degrees so it won't stick. Stan is doing better. He had a rough day yesterday for some unknown reason but is better today. The wound has all nice pink skin now and is healing. Doctor said he'll be going home soon with the wound vac and a visiting nurse to do the dressings. I'll sure be glad. Going to the hospital gets boring fast...and a lot more boring for him stuck there in bed.

Faye, we decided not to get another pet, too, for the same reasons. Then Cupid decided to move in with us (he did live 2 doors down but she got a dog and he hated the dog) so now we're in for
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm on my way to bed after a catnap, with the cat, in front of the TV. School was pretty good today since one of my "problem" students was AWOL. The guidance counselor asked me to keep a record of what he does in study hall every day. That will be easy because all he wants to do is sleep. Last semester his mother came and sat with him! He is gone more than he is in school so it's a pity to waste time trying to get him to do anything. At least he doesn't get angry at me like he does some of the other teachers. They had a meeting last semester and set up a behavior plan which he refuses to follow; guess another meeting is in the works. I hope I won't have to go.

"Gma" -- I'll bet the red sweater will be beautiful! Red has been my favorite color since I was a child. Come to think about it I do wear a lot of red. It was nice of your vet to send a sympathy card to you. We have never been without a cat so I don't anticipate that will ever happen. Each pet gave us many happy memories and it is hard to let them go. We think "Mom" looked for Leonard for a long time because she would go from room to room and let out little meows as if she were calling him. She and Maggie never did see eye to eye, so I don't think "Mom" missed her when she was gone. I hope you enjoyed your lazy day!

Susan -- I'm glad to hear that Stan is feeling better! That is funny how you were adopted by Cupid -- cute name! You are right about how boring it can get to just hang around a hospital. I hope Stan is home soon!

It is suppose to get much colder and snow is on the way. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow! I'm heading for bed!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-16-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! SNOW! Ick, you guys can keep it. It was cool all day here yesterday, but supposed to be 51 today and sunny so that is ok.

I ordered a scarf to go with my sister's sweater and I think it will be great. I included the start of the sweater and the scarf to give you an idea. I also ordered her this pin
called Kindred Spirits which I think she will like.

I think I started a fire storm. I did those two bags for my friend and am sending her another one I did and no one wanted to give to her other daughter. Like I said, I did the work for free and though she gave me $60, I probably spent $85 with the buttons, the shipping on those and the yarn and the priority shipping for the boxes. I didn't charge her a dime for my work either. She is a close friend and I am close to her dd's and sister. Well one of her sister's friends now wants a bag for her 19 year old dd. I told my friend flat out that it would cost the lady $40 to make the bag and that was if she could wait until I brought it up in April when I come and not mail it to her. I mean, that is only a $20 profit, not near what some of the knitters make but I am not doing it for supply costs alone. So we shall see. I told my friend I was working on my sister's sweater (who she knows as well) and that I needed to get it done before I do something else. If the woman needed it for a birthday or something, she was going to have to pay me more to stop doing my sister's sweater. I think that is only fair.

Susan: Hope Stan really starts feeling better soon. He sure deserves some time feeling really well. I know you have to be worn out always running back and forth between home, job and hospital. I am thankful that Jack can take 10 days of his sick time under the city's FMLA policy while I am in and since it is a planned operation and the doctor operates on Monday and Wed, I want to schedule a Monday surgery so we have the weekend before the whole next week I would be in the hospital and come home by the following weekend and then Jack would have another week off to be with me at home.

Jean: Kind of sad when you look forward to a kid being absent from school isn't it? I have to say you must put most of this back on the parent for not helping the kid have a love of learning when he was small even before school. Things like reading to him and such when he was little. Even kids who have trouble in school can be helped by doing things when they are toddlers. Parents nowadays are too wrapped up in themselves. My grandson might have a really high intelligence that is partially genetic, but truth be told, his mom and dad started reading to him when he was about a year old and had toys that helped him learn as well as have fun. Jackson has the same thing lots of bright fun toys where he can improve motor skills and such and lots of books she reads to him already. Ole Nonny makes sure he has books. I bought him a couple at Christmas that didn't get here in time and I will take them up there in April when we go.

I guess I better get off my behind and get my morning chores finished. I stayed in bed when Jack got up, but kept thinking I heard an alarm go off so I finally gave up around 6:10 and came downstairs.

Have a great Wednesday! Hump day half the week is over. Jack has Monday off as I imagine you do too, Jean. Poor Susan, you probably have to work, huh?

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #9  

Good Morning! Sunshine today but still 36 degrees.

Faye, you are right I do have to work Monday.

Jean, Cupid got his name because he has a white heart shaped patch of fur on his dark grey back. He is a sweetheart, though!

Stan will be coming home on Friday after his dialysis treatment. We'll be having the visiting nurse and the wound vac as well as his aide so everything should go fine.

I'll be glad to get to our routine and eating better. I've been eating dinner with him and the food is not the greatest.

Susan
Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers! I didn't take any notes tonight and did a quick read through. I don't know why but I have fallen asleep in front of the TV every evening this week, wake up enough to do the algebra assignment for tomorrow, figure out what I'm wearing to school, and head off to bed. Maybe I have iron deficiency anemia and need Serutan . . . "natures" spelled backward! Remember that commercial from many years ago?

It is snowing lightly and has been since late afternoon. If the wind doesn't come up we will be ok.

"Gma" -- The scarf looks so bright and colorful, I love the red yard, and cute pin! I do have school on Monday. We get Presidents' Day off although it is our 4th snow make-up day if necessary. I personally don't see why we have to observe MLK's birthday but "oh well."

Susan -- You will get back on your healthy eating program in no time. It will be great to have Stan home again!

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday tomorrow! Remember to I am heading off to bed!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. I hope your day is going well.

I had a rough night last night. My back ached most of the night and I was very crampy. I am not sure if it is female stuff as I still am on and off with it or just gas build up. I know I am pooped that is for sure. Maybe I can nap in the recliner this morning and get a little rest.

Susan: Glad Stan gets to come home and be comfortable in his own home. Hospital food for the most parts is the pits. If they give me an unrestricted diet, I may have Jack bring me in some fruit and stuff to snack on. They have grits every morning at the hospital and I hate them and it takes them forever to set up a routine where I can order what I want for breakfast. They also have stuff like biscuits and junk like that. Ah well, it is only for a week, but then I imagine Jack is going to have to do the cookie so it will be real simple that's for sure.

Jean: I would have thought you guys get off MLK day. It is like everything else all political and racially motivated. Sad but true. Jack has off Presidents' Day too and that is the day of my barium test. I so look forward to it!

Nothing else happening around here. I haven't heard a peep out of my friend so I don't know what is going on with the handbag situation. I just thought I should be upfront about it. Like I told Jack, if I did this bag for free, then I would be expected to do others for free and I am not going to do that. As I said, I don't knit for $$ I knit because I enjoy it and do it to make gifts for friends and family. I do hope she isn't miffed about it, but if she is that is to bad.

Well, I am going to start morning chores and get some knitting on that sweater done.

Have a good Thursday to you all and keep warm!
Faye
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is cold here! It's supposed to hit 10 below tonight -- I hope the electric blanket hangs on! This has been the longest week for some reason. I am so glad tomorrow is Friday! Jason called and wants Bob (us) to come up Saturday -- Bob to help hang sheet rock and me along for the ride, I guess. I'd really rather stay home and putter! Amanda's parents will be there too so I don't know how to gracefully get out of going; 5 hours on the road and leaving at 7 AM doesn't sound like a fun Saturday to me.

"Gma" -- I hope you got your nap in today . . . I'm sure you miss sharing your relciner/lap with a cat. I woke up at 3:30 for a bathroom break and couldn't get back to sleep. I hate when that happens! I think the last time I looked at the clock it was 4:55 and the alarm goes off at 5:20. Of course I fell sound asleep and Bob had to poke me when the alarm did go off. I was really in a deep sleep. Look at the barium test as one more step on the way back to "normal" plumbing! At least you know it will be over in a short time even though it will be unpleasant. I can't imagine your friend would expect you to make the handbags for nothing! Just normal shopping should make her aware that good workmanship is worth a lot, not to mention the cost of the material.

I'm off to pick up my kitchen and then head for bed. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #13  

Good morning to everyone. It is pretty chilly here this morning. I took out the trash and went and unlocked the gate in case some of the things I am waiting for are delivered today and found it to be a little brrrr. Nothing like Jean is getting, but cold to me.

I did sleep in an extra couple hours this morning, but I wouldn't call it sleep exactly. I would doze and wake and doze and wake and then the smell of sausage wafted up the stairs and I think cooked sausage stinks so I sprayed the whole house with citrus air freshner when I got up.

Jean: Hope you enjoy your day Saturday. I am a road tripper kind of gal so I would enjoy going more than likely. Of course, I stay home most of the time and you are out working so I imagine being able to stay home and work in your house would be better for you.

My computer sure seems sluggish. I deleted my temp internet files and did a disc clean and will do a spyware clean in a few minutes, but I guess I am going to have to get Jack to clean out the temp files that are stored somewhere in the computer that I can't find because the darn thing sure is slow.

We are supposed to get the rugs done that we never did do when Jack was on vacation, but I don't know if we will do them or not. I want them done before his sister and bil come here on the first. They may or may not visit the house as they are just passing through and we are supposed to go to dinner together, but just in case. The problem the week he was on vacation was I didn't know we needed more shampoo and when we went to do them, it wasn't enough so we put it off and I never went and got a couple bottles of shampoo!

Well, I better get those chores done. I should clean the downstairs today, but I imagine it will wait until tomorrow. It isn't like it is filthy or anything, just time for weekly cleaning again.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Faye
Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is BRRRRY cold here, but the sun was shining most of the day so it looked warm outside! The loose snow has been blowing around and we are supposed to get some more tonight. I'm so glad it is Friday; I've been waiting all week!

"Gma" -- When Bob got home from work we went back into town and met some of the teachers for a FAC meeting at the "office." We ended up eating later and I was cold when we got home. I sat down to watch TV and promptly fell asleep. The thermometer said it was -3 when I came upstairs -- whatever it is, it is COLD out there! After school the calico deck cat was waiting for me to put out the food. She would hold one paw up and then the other; I felt so sorry for her. Her fur doesn't seem to be as thick as some of the other cats either. I talked Bob into letting her in the garage and she came right to me; she took a tour and sniffed it all out, but wouldn't settle down and wanted back outside. We've seen the cats come and go from behind the backyard neighbor's hot tub which they don't use any more. I suppose it is somewhat protected from the weather as it sits under their deck and has a half wall built around it. It sounds like you had a busy day planned. My computer runs slow when every other Tom, Dick, and Harry is also logged on to the ISP line here in town. That is probably my imagination but it seems like it is faster at certain times than others.

I'm off to see if my bed is preheated and warm enough to crawl in. Hope your weekend is a great one! Stay warm and don't forget to !

Jean -- in COLD Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-19-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. A brisk 34 out right now and not to get above 38 so it is going to be cold here, but a near heat wave for Jean. BRRRRR!

I see my son and dil are getting very cold weather too. Their wind chill is like -20 or something like that. Some of their area got ice last night so the roads are bad I guess. We had planned on going up there this weekend with Jack having Monday off before we changed our minds to wait until April so I am sure glad we won't get caught up in that stuff.

I fell asleep half an hour before my program came on so guess I will have to watch it on the computer. They show it on the tv shows website after each episode or at least they have up until now. I am going to check when I get finished posting.

Gonna get the downstairs done today as there isn't much else to do and too cold to go out and do anything. I will let Jack run the errands if we need anything.

I am coming along with the sweater. Almost to the spot where I separate the stitches into front and back and knit it separately for the armholes. I will be glad to have it finished up. Her pin came yesterday as did my friend's "apple" pin, but no scarf yet. The payment hasn't come out of my bank so I emailed them asking when I could expect shipment.

The "apple" pin looks great on the yellow sweater. It is only a little bigger than a quarter so it is a nice size without overwhelming the sweater. I had also bought her a "Lucy" mug that has some friend saying on it. I got it at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum at the Venetian when we were in Vegas last year. She is a big Lucy fan too.

I better get up and get chores done and the cleaning started. Have a great weekend and keep wrapped up and warm.

Faye