South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Default New to the Beach and looking for cottage cheese ideas

Anyone have interesting sugestions for toppers for cottage cheese during Phase 1? Since I usually use fruit I am sort of at a loss here...Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

I put Old Bay seasoning on mine. I also wrap it in lettuce with turkey and tomato (like a taco) sometimes.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to the Beach, Earthchild! Come and join us in the Daily Chat so you can introduce yourself.

One of my favorite ways to have cottage cheese is to top it with a drizzle of one of the flavors of SF DaVinci syrup. It's also good with a little Splenda, cinnamon and toasted nuts. Some other ideas are to have it with tomatoes, add it to a salad, mix it with tuna, or whip it and use it as a dip for raw veggies.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #4  

Wow-I'll be heading for the Splenda, cinnamon, and the toasted pecans I had left from dinner later tonight I think! Great suggestions-thanks to everyone and thanks in advance for any others that are most welcomed and appreciated!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #5  

Baby tomatoes..TJoe's has the best baby tomates. Also...seeds for a crunch.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

My favorite way is with cucumbers, salt and pepper, and tuna for lunch.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Oh, definitely grape tomatoes! They're my favorite on cottage cheese! I also love walnuts mixed in, and I do like using cottage cheese as a "dressing" for a green salad.

Kara
Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #8  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I enjoy a sprinkle of sunflower seeds on cottage cheese. My DH and I also have cottage cheese as a side dish with scrambled eggs. When eating breakfast out, we ask for cottage cheese instead of the hashbrowns-most restaurants have it.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #9  

Thanks for for all the great ideas!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

I keep reading about this Davinci SF syrup. Does anyone know what this is exactly? I haven't been able to find it anywhere! I found a SB Phase 1 recipe that included it, but only found Smuckers SF syrup in my grocery store - is that the same thing?? I think the Smuckers is pancake syrup though which is why I think the "muffins" I made with it tasted like cardboard!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

DaVinci makes syrups to put in coffee drinks, but they have many other uses too. The other brand I see often is Torani. I can find a limited selection at my grocery store in the coffee aisle. Also, Starbucks will sell you a bottle of theirs if you ask. You can order them on Amazon, and they have oodles of flavors (be sure to use the 3fc link). And we have a coffee roasters store I go to sometimes and they also have a pretty good selection. i am working my way through trying all the flavors. So far I've done vanilla, hazelnut, gingerbread, peanut butter, and caramel. The only one I didn't love so far is the peanut butter. Very fake tasting to me. I use them mostly to flavor and sweeten my afternoon latte treat, and in the oatmeal breakfast bars, but I know some of the other chicks have come up with lots of ideas for them!
The smuckers is a substitute for pancake syrup, but I would think they'd be interchangeable in recipes.

Oh, I almost forgot, last week I found these at Target, Archer Farms brand, which I think is their store brand, near the coffees. Just a few flavors, but cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere. I got their caramel and it was great.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 01-17-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #12  
I can do this!

SoulCyster, DaVinci syrup (there's also Monin's "O" syrup and Torani brand), is a brand of syrup made for flavoring coffee drinks. They make a huge number of SF syrups and so lots of us use them for far more things than just coffee. You can use them in smoothies, in oatmeal, in hot chocolate, in soda, in baking, and more. They come in amazing flavors like English Toffee, Kahlua, Eggnog, Pumpkin Spice, Gingerbread, Cookie Dough, etc.

You can find them very cheaply at stores that sell leftover items, like TJ Maxx and Ross. But they don't have them all the time. Some people can find them in local stores from grocery stores to coffee shops (the Starbuck's kind, not the diner kind). However, they are usually sold at the full retail price, which is high. I found the cheapest way for me to get them is to order them from Netrition. They have a flat shipping rate of $4.95, no matter how many bottles you order, and they ship them expertly so there isn't any risk (at all!) of them breaking. I'm very impressed with how they handle things and I've probably gotten over 30 bottles of syrup from them in the last 2 years.

You can look around to see what's cheapest for you--our Sam's Club sells them for almost the same price as Netrition, but they have a very limited selection while the website sells all the SF flavors.

In regards to cottage cheese--try 2 T of ground flax seeds (must be ground...the whole ones do nothing for you except provide fiber as they pass through), a little cinnamon and some Splenda or agave nectar. Yum!!! I also love grape tomatoes on mine...feels the closest to fruit. My best friend loves salsa on her cottage cheese.

Last edited by beachgal; 01-17-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Starbuck's has recently really stepped up their sugar free syrup flavors! During Christmas they had a SF Gingerbread, and they still have SF Vanilla, Hazelnut, Caramel, Cinnamon Dolce (to die for!!!), and now Mocha. Very yummy!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Ooh those do sound yummy!! I will definitely look at Target and in the coffee aisles of the stores around here.

Thanks so much for all your help!! This site is so helpful when starting a daunting task like a diet. So much info in one place - it's awesome!!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #15  

I use both DaVinci and Torani. I've been using the SF chocolate in my milk lately and it is wonderful.
Closed Thread