Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #1  
A real southern belle

S/C/G: 172.6/172.6/150

Height: 5'7"

Default EWWW Vegetables- gross

*sigh* Veggies and I- we don't like each other. Well, they may like me, I don't give them a chance.

A major accomplishment was getting me to go from iceberg lettuce to romaine.

So that brings my veggies up to:

*Carrots (just recently got to where I could eat them cooked)
*Romaine lettuce
*iceberg lettuce
*corn- which only sort of counts
*white potatoes- (yummy yummy)
*onions

Umm, yeah that's about it. I've tried hiding cucumbers in salad, I can taste them no matter what. Same with tiny little pieces of tomato.

I can choke down a small bite of broccoli if it's drowned in cheese.

What's a girl to do? Any advice? I'm very picky, it has to look good, smell good, have a good texture- if we get to that, then I might consider tasting it.

I've been browsing some of the other threads- it's so nice not to be the only one .
Keepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #2  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

I remember when I would only eat broccoli when it was slathered in cheese... lettuce only if it came with a burger... carrots only when they were in carrot cake...and potatoes only mashed with butter and served with gravy. Well, I can tell you - change is possible!

For me, it started with just what I mentioned above. I ate broccoli with cheese, so I figured the broccoli couldn't be THAT bad on it's own. So I tried playing with it. At first I used toppings like butter and cheese, but it was a start. I experimented - see if you can handle veggies with garlic, soy sauce, salt & pepper... dip veggies in hummus and spinach dips... sprinkle them with lighter cheeses like feta, parmesan and mozzarella...drizzle with citrus vinaigrettes and experiment with spices like oregano, curry, red pepper flakes... (BTW - cajun spice is SUPERB on roasted veggies). Also experiment with your cooking methods - roast, bake, steam, grill - there are so many great ways to cook veg!

I guess the moral of the story is you need to experiment, think with an open mind and try new things, mask the flavors with the above mentioned and before you know it you will be wanting to eat them raw!

Good luck...you can do this
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I tend to be just as picky as you are, especially when in comes to veggies.. I hate the putrid things. (my list of vegetables that I'll eat is near the same as yours, just substitute lettuce with celery) However, I love fruit.. So, I'll make fruit smoothies and sneak vegetables in.. The fruit masks the taste of the veggies. Maybe you could try something like this?
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #4  
A real southern belle

Thanks for the encouragement guys .

I hadn't considered making fruit smoothies with veggies! Hmm..
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #5  
Time to get serious

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5'9"

Jiffypop had a brilliant suggestion on another thread somewhere, she said to grate/shred different vegetables and add them to a meatloaf. You honestly can't taste the vegetables once they're added. I've tried this a few times now, in a meatloaf and in meatballs, my kids love it.

I am not a veggie person either, grew up in Idaho on meat and potatoes. We now try a different vegetable each day, try cooking it differently, to see what we like and don't like. Asparagus last night was NOT a hit. Good to know.

I'm still debating the mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes thing, haven't been brave enough to actually TRY it yet.
aksuzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #6  
A real southern belle

I've heard you can't tell the difference between the potatoes and cauliflower but for some reason, I think I would- if I know what I'm eating, I'm already biased, even though I try hard to keep an open mind!

I did sneak a bite of green pepper in to a salad today- yep, definitely tasted it and *GASP* it was different! So I couldn't force myself to be brave enough to try another piece . I'm gonna work on it though!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #7  
Time to get serious

Someone also said to mix some cream cheese with the cauliflower, to make is creamier. I'm THINKING about trying it, that's at least a start!

I'm not a pepper eater, wish I was, but I can't stand them. They're so pretty, every stir fry has peppers in them...but I just can't eat them.

I'm also trying to enjoy the wonders of squash. Who knew you could fix squash so many ways, or that there were so many different varieties of the stuff.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Since you are talking about the mashed cauliflower, I thought I'd add something to the conversation.

While living in the UK I discovered a veggie called a celeriac, sometimes called celery root. It's big, brown and ugly - even a little intimidating - but the inside is alot like the texture of a potato. If you take the time to peel it, cube it, boil it and mash it you get something akin to mashed potatoes. Personally, I think it beats the mashed cauliflower.

I like to do half celeriac and half potatoes. It's seriously so good. I've seen celeriacs sold in large supermarkets that have organic and natural sections, and also in natural foods stores. Try it...if you dare!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/258/165

Height: 5'4"

I have heard a lot of good things about Jessica Seinfeld's book called Decpetively Delicious. It's how she sneaks in veggies and other good for you foods into everyday meals, where no one is the wiser. Check it out.
pouncermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #10  
A real southern belle

Guys, you'd be proud of me- I snuck some teenie little pieces of broccoli in to cheese & rice (not exactly healthy, but it's not french fries either lol) & today I snuck a little tomato in to lunch!

I'll have to check out "Deceptively Delicious".

I've almost made up my mind to try cauliflower taters, and see if I can find celeriac!

Thanks for the support and ideas guys!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

This may not seem like a huge deal, but after making some (homemade) ranch dip last night, I built up the strength to eat a carrot. THAT'S A BIG BIG DEAL FOR ME!

The dip is very very very low in cals, and I think if I start with putting as much dip as can make me stomach the carrot and then trying to wean myself off it it might work.

Any thoughts???
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/258/165

Height: 5'4"

I know one of the things that helped my BIL to eat more veggies was to take a spoonful of corn/peas/etc and then swallow them down with milk.
He was getting his veggies in without really having to taste them.
Now, he reaches for veggies first. And, he really eats them.
pouncermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #13  
A real southern belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
This may not seem like a huge deal, but after making some (homemade) ranch dip last night, I built up the strength to eat a carrot. THAT'S A BIG BIG DEAL FOR ME!

The dip is very very very low in cals, and I think if I start with putting as much dip as can make me stomach the carrot and then trying to wean myself off it it might work.

Any thoughts???
That seems like a good idea to me! Get to where you're used to the carrot crunch, then take a little off, then a little more, until you can build up to eating a plain carrot! Especially since the dip is low-cal.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #14  
Time to get serious

Carrots aren't difficult for me to eat (maybe because they're not GREEN) It seems the green things are the worst for me to stomach. Green beans, peas, broccoli...I can eat broccoli, raw, with ranch dip now though. And peas, if they're raw, on my salad. I like carrots raw too. Hmmm...

I think we're going to try the cauliflower this weekend too, one day mashing it, one day steaming it, see if there's any way to cook it that we like. Besides eating it raw, with ranch dressing.

Anyone found a good way to cook asparagus? I tried it with a little olive oil and butter (just a tiny bit), and baked it covered (was told this would keep it crunchy) for 10 minutes. No-one liked it. And it was fairly expensive to buy in the first place, so I was not happy that it was icky.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #15  

Suzy- do not cover the asparagus if you are baking /roasting it. It needs to concentrate in flavor. Try tossing in a touch of oil, a little soy sauce, and a dab of dijon mustard if you like it. Depending on how long you let it go it can be crunchy or a little limp but never mushy. You have to experiment.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote