Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #1  
Smartypants

Question Getting enough iron

Hey girls,

Hope you are all doing super on your journeys!!! I was doing some reading online, and I read this article on about.com about weight loss here:
http://weightloss.about.com/cs/tips/a/aa041603a.htm
And I don't know that I agree with all of it.... take the first tip for instance. I know that completely cutting out a food group is not healthy, but I'm not so sure about red meat and if it's healthy to cut that out completely. What is your two cents on that?

Second, I don't really eat much red meat to begin with, not that I avoid it on purpose or anything. But isn't iron the main reason people eat red meat? And if you're not eating red meat or choose not to eat it, what are some other good sources of iron to be sure we are getting enough?

As always your opnions are much appreciated!!!! Thank you!!
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I almost never eat red meat and when I do it isn't beef it's lamb. I refuse to eat beef unless it's completely grass fed and finished. Since I can't find it where I live (and it's pricey) I don't eat beef. I eat lamb perhaps 4-6 times per year.

That said, I'm not anemic and I always end up over the recommended daily allowance for iron. I track in fitday. I do take a multiple vitamin, but that has very little iron in it.

There are several foods that contain iron. Chicken liver actually contains more iron then beef does (not that I eat that too often.) Some fish has iron, beans, molasses, tofu, ans spinach all have iron. Also, many breads and cereals are fortified with iron as well. You don't have to eat meat to get all the nutrients that you need.

Another thing to look at is the benefits vs. the risks of eating red meat. Red meat is very high in saturated fats that can clog your arteries. For some people it might be better to not eat any red meat at all. I eat very little of it because I just don't think that it's healthy in general.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote